I have an Ibanez rg420eg and had taken it apart springs etc. to put new strings in it when the head of the srew that clamps the string on the bridge snapped off now i am stuck with the screw stuck in it , ALSO, the whatever it's called that holds the screw that raises the action is loose and just turns and wont tighten or loosten.
Last edited by cjrguitar at Nov 23, 2009,
should i leave it to the professionls at GC or is there a quick fix
PS: Next time i'm gettin a fixed bridge
Take it to a shop.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
Quote by scream_it
Take it to a shop.

this is "gear building and customizing", not "give up and let someone else do it" xD

and TS, I'm not really sure what screw broke, from your description..

it clamps the string of the bridge?
could we get a little more detail, or possibly pictures?
Quote by james4
this is "gear building and customizing", not "give up and let someone else do it" xD

and TS, I'm not really sure what screw broke, from your description..

it clamps the string of the bridge?
could we get a little more detail, or possibly pictures?

Granted the forum is about "gear building and customizing" but it seems to me he was just replacing strings not really customizing anything. Usually broken screws are bad news and considering I don't really know what screw he's talking about either, I just suggested he have a tech look at it. It'd be a lot easier than trying to dig that screw out and risk further damage.

Edit: Looking at the picture, I really don't think you should try and drill out the broken screw. I still recommend taking it to a shop that way you can pick up a replacement when you are there,
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
Last edited by scream_it at Nov 23, 2009,
Quote by scream_it
Granted the forum is about "gear building and customizing" but it seems to me he was just replacing strings not really customizing anything. Usually broken screws are bad news and considering I don't really know what screw he's talking about either, I just suggested he have a tech look at it. It'd be a lot easier than trying to dig that screw out and risk further damage.

Edit: Looking at the picture, I really don't think you should try and drill out the broken screw. I still recommend taking it to a shop that way you can pick up a replacement when you are there,

I know where you're coming from, just messing around

I thought he might have meant a screw from the trem claw, because he mentioned springs. and it's easy to misspell spring as string when you're using them both often D:

..but yeah, that definitely wouldnt be a fun job to drill out now that I know which one you mean.
you may be able to find another way to take it out, though..

is any of the shaft still sticking out on either side?
you could try getting in there with some small pliers and turning it out like that.

and, I know this is the second time I've brought up a skinny stick with superglue this week, but now that I'm trying to think of a way, it comes to mind..
depending how tight the screw's clamped down, you might be able to get it out by putting a dab of superglue on the end of a stick the same size as the shaft. wait for it to dry, and just twist it out.. although it's probably tightened down way too much for that to work *

*I'm totally making these up as I go along.. just trying to think of a way to avoid paying someone else to do it. a shop might be your last resort, but i'd rather find a way to fix it on my own, first
I would be reluctant to try the glue on a stick method because you risk clogging the threads with glue. I'd either take it to a shop or get one of those special drill bits designed to go in reverse, drill into the broken screw, grab it, and unscrew it. Can't remember what they are called, but that is what the people at the shop will do if you take it somewhere.
^I meant a dab on the tip, so none gets in the threads, but.. yeah. I really doubt it'd work, anyway. just throwing ideas out there

and somethign like this? http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/PowerToolAccessories/DrillBitsSetsAccessories/PRD~0582555P/Mastercraft%2BScrew%2BExtractor%2B%25231.jsp
Quote by cjrguitar
as i said the head of the screw just snapped off so there is nothing to grab onto to remove the screw
Remove the saddle where the string stopper screw head broke off and see if you can work the piece out.

Here's the exploded view:

Good luck!

if you look at the picture posterd above number 1 the "anchor" is loose and just urns when i try to adjust action
This happened to me a year ago. I had to have the saddle replaced.