hi ive been playing for gonning on 2 years now around were should my playing be
dude it all depends. u don't have to compare yourself to shredders and shit all the time. just play to have fun and if you wanna better yourself, then go ahead and do it by finding stuff out online and putting it into your exercises.

that being said, MY opinion is that you should know basic chords, pentatonic (minor & major) scales, should have looked at modes at least, and can play along comfortably with stuff you listen to or something, by ear.

my suggestion for the NEXT couple years:
work on right-hand technique, get really good at chromatic exercises, start learning arpeggios (applicable not just in metal mind you lol), learn modes really well, and seek out some good scale patterns

get all that down and you'll be a champ, man. good luck to ya.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
it just depends how much u have been praciting... if u have neem practicing for the past 2 years like crazy then u should be pretty good

if u practiced now and then for the pass two yeas u should be decent and know ur basic and barre chords and such

really doesnt matter how long u have been playing.. matters how much u have practiced and played for the past 2 years
Quote by Nor'Easterbass
dude it all depends. u don't have to compare yourself to shredders and shit all the time. just play to have fun and if you wanna better yourself, then go ahead and do it by finding stuff out online and putting it into your exercises.

that being said, MY opinion is that you should know basic chords, pentatonic (minor & major) scales, should have looked at modes at least, and can play along comfortably with stuff you listen to or something, by ear.

work on right-hand technique, get really good at chromatic exercises, start learning arpeggios (applicable not just in metal mind you lol), learn modes really well, and seek out some good scale patterns

+1000

There's no certain place you have to be after a certain time. You shouldn't compare yourself to others. If I did that, I probably would have quit guitar a long time ago. Being primarily self-taught and all, everything came slowly to me. Being the best shouldn't be the only reason to do anything. You have to like what you're doing and have fun. That applies to everything.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Nor'Easterbass

+1. That said, dont even begin to try and understand modes yet. Really try to understand your major scale. In terms of intervals, notes, step patterns etc.
Quote by dmtransmutation
What the Grunge-haters think is just mindless musical nonsense, in reality is the restoration of the old rule of harmony to not write an entire song in one tonality/key
Quote by mike0206
hi ive been playing for gonning on 2 years now around were should my playing be

wherever it is.

how good you are is a direct result of what you've practiced and how well you've practiced. If you've been playing for 2 years and have never looked at sweep picking then you obviously shouldn't be able to play it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by tenfold
it should be where you want it to be

I would disagree. I've been playing something like 6 years and my playing isn't anywhere near where I want it to be even after the countless hours of practice I've put in.

TS: You should be playing and that's all there is to it, to borrow a wonderful cliche from a comedy routine:

Guitar is not a path leading to a door but a road leading forever toward the horizon; to a true student a year is as a day.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Nov 24, 2009,
no need to comare yourself, do it for yourself and keep it fun
I think beginners especially have an unrealistic view of the effort it takes to get really good on the guitar. It takes a lot of time to learn the instrument, develop your ear and get the finger dexterity necessary to play well. The main thing is to keep learning new things and work on cleaning up your technique. Just work on improving yourself. Don't worry about how you stack up against others.
Don't grade yourself or anything. Everyone makes progress at different rates. My classmate has been playing for like 3 years and he stinks.
[img]http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/10/24/633604588429325324-annoyance.jpg[/img]

Billy Mays is definitely gonna give me nightmares now.

Quote by xxGUITARZER0xx
honestly no

but i just did the pallet town theme song cause someone wanted that

Quote by speakers
all of the above
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I would disagree. I've been playing something like 6 years and my playing isn't anywhere near where I want it to be even after the countless hours of practice I've put in.

lol Take a joke. It's a stupid question, it can't really have an answer. It all just depends.
Quote by tenfold
lol Take a joke. It's a stupid question, it can't really have an answer. It all just depends.

Jokes really don't translate well in plain text you know...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.