I'm a self-taught guitarist, so I obviously have some gaps in my playing. One thing I noticed a little while ago is this:

When I pick, I use the side of it, not the front edge. Is this a "bad" way of picking? I do a lot of rhythm metal, and it's done the job so far. I also noticed that if I'm doing speed work, like practicing scales fast, it kinda reverts to a "normal" way of picking.

So anyways, is there some really good reason to change my technique?
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
I'm a self-taught guitarist, so I obviously have some gaps in my playing. One thing I noticed a little while ago is this:

When I pick, I use the side of it, not the front edge. Is this a "bad" way of picking? I do a lot of rhythm metal, and it's done the job so far. I also noticed that if I'm doing speed work, like practicing scales fast, it kinda reverts to a "normal" way of picking.

There's nothing wrong with that. When is comes to picking and holding the pick, it's mostly a matter of personal preference.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
i dont think it matters everyone i know picks a different way.. watever is comfortable i guess.. however i think using the edge might give a fuller sound
Ok, I didn't think it was that big a deal since I've been able to play some pretty hard stuff. It just seems that everyone else uses the standard way.
Quote by lolmnt
Quote by DimebagLivesOn

Looks like we use the same picks:

If you'd like to remove the "gaps" in your playing PM me and I have a few places you should look too.
My grandfather would say: "I'm going upstairs to fuck your grandmother". He was an honest man, and he wasn't going to bullshit a four-year-old.

-Carlin
Quote by <3 Herman <3
Looks like we use the same picks:

If you'd like to remove the "gaps" in your playing PM me and I have a few places you should look too.

And I'm not quite sure what I'm missing.
Quote by lolmnt
My personal preference is i hold the pick so its almost "cutting" the strings when i am playing lead or single note crap (ie not chords) if i am sweep picking or strumming, i usually hold the pick so the flat part is going against the strings. I find that this helps with tone and accuracy
Quote by DimebagLivesOn

And I'm not quite sure what I'm missing.

You said there were some gaps in your playing no?
My grandfather would say: "I'm going upstairs to fuck your grandmother". He was an honest man, and he wasn't going to bullshit a four-year-old.

-Carlin
There is nothing wrong with your position. As someone noticed, it's a matter of personal preference and playing style.

I change the picking style as I change the style, since I play a lot of different things, and often tap with the pick. I like that, and I play easier, and also I don't anchor my pinkie on the body which makes it easier to pick from the ankle / lower elbow.

Just take care you move the pick as little as possible...you don't need wide pick strokes
I am Žile, I'm from Serbia, and I like guitars... and beans of course...never underestimate well cooked beans!

Join Alternate tunings
TUNED OUT
I prefer to hold it with the side of my index rather than the front, but it's all preference I suppose. Try to attack the strings with a slight angle though, as this prevents the pick from "sticking" to the strings and also allows for faster and more controlled picking.
it'd give you more pick noise, i imagine...
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!