Hey guys,

As you noticed my posts have plagued the boards I really appreciate everyone's help I don't have the best help locally.

So, I want to tighten up my sound on my Peavey 5150(or so I thought). I play a lot of classic rock, van halen, and weezer (odd huh). I thought a boost/od would help, and my buddy loaned me a Maxon OD808. It was nice, but I feel like at the volumes I play at (low low low ~1) I already can get that sound.

I am still on the fence if I want a Bad Monkey as it seems to be the best priced OD out there. BUT I have a a feeling the Dist+ by MXR may serve as a boost and ALSO help me pull off more Weezer-esque and classic rock tones than I am able to right now.

Are my notions at all correct?

THANKS, honestly, you guys are awesome.
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
If you just want to tighten up your sound get an EQ, throw it in front and make a frowny face curve. The Dist+ and Bad Monkey just don't have the right EQ curves to tighten things up IMO. They don't cut enough low end.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I have tried my Boss GE-7 there and when I do the standard EQ curves the amp sounds lifeless. Like its taking too much out... I have tried adjusting a lot too and it all sounds awful, both in the FX or out.
Quote by sixstringedmatt
I have tried my Boss GE-7 there and when I do the standard EQ curves the amp sounds lifeless. Like its taking too much out... I have tried adjusting a lot too and it all sounds awful, both in the FX or out.

That's pretty much what an OD used as a boost does but it also adds a bit of a push in front of the amp. Maybe you just don't like a tight low end.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I suppose so ha! So am I kind of stuck, maybe upgrade to a Dist III to completely change some voicing or what?
I'm sold...
I know I know haha
I just feel like Im at a bad point right now, being indecisive, but unhappy, but can't put my finger on why -- new pedals should always help this, hahaha.
Im seriously considering it ... I am still really considering the Dist+ or Dist III from MXR for an OD but the ability (mainly with the D3) to use its distortion for more modern stuff and use the 5150 for 80s metal stuff.
Neither the Dist+ or Dist III is capable of anything near modern tones. Both are mild ODs.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I am horrible at classifying music. I mean early Weezer, Green Day,... more crunch than high gain like whats out there today -- make anymore sense?