I have to write an 800 word essay on how to do something and being a guitar player who owns an electric guitar with a Floyd Rose tremolo, that was the first thing i thought of that could take 800 words to explain especially to someone who doesn't know about guitars.

But im having trouble because the last four essays i was docked points for having extended introductions, and im finding that just explaining how to change the strings isnt going to add up.

As it stands im into about 550 words and thats after adding a lot of fluff so could someone point me in the direction of an online guide that exhaustively explains how to change strings on a Floyd Rose so i can see what else i could add
Cool choice for a topic.

Start going into the details of why Floyds work. The Physics of Floyd Roses. How to get the bridge parallel, why the bridge has to be parallel, string tension equal spring tension, stuff like that.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Did you already detail the order you have to tune the strings and why, and the fact that you have to keep retuning the strings in that order until it all balances out?
Quote by biga29
Cool choice for a topic.

Start going into the details of why Floyds work. The Physics of Floyd Roses. How to get the bridge parallel, why the bridge has to be parallel, string tension equal spring tension, stuff like that.

that would be cool. as in "stretch the strings BECAUSE the floyd lengthens and shortens the strings to work" blah blah blah. could be really cool.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
I have an Ibanez user guide that spends WAY more than 800 words explaining how to change strings, assuming you're also changing gauges. Lots of spring tensions to adjust to reset the "zero point", and all that. By the time I finished reading it and scratching my head, I decided changing gauges is a Bad Idea.
Quote by pottsy_91
compare it to how you would change strings on a hard tail bridge

+1
Classical Guitarist
All good ideas

I definitely should go more in depth into the tuning process and the whole equlibrium thing

I put 10-60s on my Ibanez a long time ago when it was set up for 10-46's, the whole ordeal scarred me mentally physically and emotionally. Its hard to feel more ashamed stupid and emasculated than being outsmarted by an inanimate object, lets just say that realizing that the ball-ends of the strings didn't fall off inside the guitar and in fact were intentionally cut off was my smartest moment of the day.

So i wrote the guide as if you were changing to a heavier gauge to give me a few extra talking points and i went into fixing intonation and altering the spring layout to compensate for the tension difference
Last edited by thegreatbuddha at Nov 24, 2009,