Page 1 of 8
Is anyone else going to admit they read the Twilight books/ enjoy the Twilight movies? I know I do. Although I found the ending of the series to be unsatisfying. And I don't really like the portrayal of Edward or Bella in the movies. But when you look past the little flaws, it's really a great story, and surprisingly well-written.
Even if you hate Twilight, I want to hear your opinion.
Go!
LOVE ANTHONY GREEN?
Quote by sneyob
I am slightly disappointed =w=eeze took me out of his sig.

But that's okay.

^Consolation Sig
No U

EDIT: But really. I could not care less if little girls are wetting their panties over Edward. The first movie wasn't terrible, however the author writes at like a fucking grade 5 level or something. Its atrocious.
MATTERHORN
Last edited by Doctor Matthews at Nov 24, 2009,
Eh Twilight was good with just the books but the movie ****ing ruined it. BTW this is gonna get closed... look at the official twilight thread if you want someone else's opinion.
Quote by =w=eeze
But when you look past the little flaws, it's really a great story, and surprisingly well-written.

No; it's not.

I apologize to whomever posted this originally for taking this, but it's for a good cause; also, to whomever actually wrote it. Cue wall of text:

There is a lot wrong with Stephanie Meyer's writing. Annoying, one-dimensional characters, overused and redundant adjectives, a disturbingly sick and obsessive relationship, and the most disgustingly blatant Mary Sue since Stephen Dedalus. Not to mention the fact that a love story that is supposedly about seeing inner beauty is impossible to take seriously when the writer can't stop gushing over how gorgeous and pretty and beautiful and hot and sexy and graceful and attractive Edward is. It's also worth noting the fact that it ignores pretty much all accepted ideas of vampirism, removing every single weakness and curse vampirism entails, from holy water to sunlight to the need to drink human blood to the point that Edward has as much in common with a spider as he does with the traditional idea of a vampire, and replaces them with...random superpowers. Then there's the utterly twisted plot points, like Bella marrying and getting pregnant right out of high school, Bella refusing to get away from a guy who admits to her face he feels urges to kill her solely because he's hot (or would "dazzling" be more appropriate?), and a werewolf falls in love with a newborn baby and promises to care for her until she is "of age" so he can woo her. If that wasn't horrifying enough, the baby conveniently happens to physically mature at an accelerated rate, and will look 17 when she is 7, so that's okay. No it's not.

I could accept this as a badly written book, but there are some things here that go beyond fantasy and reveal either a very naive or very twisted author. The series, which is written for girls nearing dating age, idolizes a textbook abusive relationship. Edward is controlling, prone to bursts of anger, moody, and jealous. He cuts her off socially, and she follows him like a blind puppy, expressing horror at the very concept of him leaving her. Or, you know, killing her. He justifies any wrongdoing against her with “It’s just because I love you” or “It’s what’s best for you.” As if that wasn't enough, he watches her while she sleeps. That's not sweet, that is stalkerish, and if a young girl gets the idea that this is acceptable from Edward, she will be ignorant of a classic warning sign of a very dangerous person. It presents a risk of violence and abuse as an exciting obstacle that can be overcome with true love, and treats obsessiveness as romantic and flattering, which is a great mindset to have while being abused. I have enough confidence in human intelligence to know that fans of these books aren't all going to be eager to get into abusive relationships, but if the best thing I can say about the love story is "readers will probably be smart enough not to emulate the main character," that is not a good thing.

The Twilight series is a poorly written story of an obsessive relationship told by an unreliable narrator, but even with all this I could still ignore it. But there is one story aspect that I simply cannot overlook, one that fills me with such rage and disgust at the very thought of it that I feel true, genuine hatred for this series and its author. I am talking, of course, about sparkly vampires. That is not a joke. The vampires sparkle. They're not weak to sunlight, it makes them glitter. I could understand if it was a cringeworthy metaphor, but no. As if Edward wasn't already slathered in adjective and adverb vomit, he has to literally emit glowing rays of light to really drive the point home that he's pretty. For god's sake, even My Little Pony has the taste and common decency to forgo bioluminescence, and she's a horse who exists for no reason other than to look pretty. Edward, a humanoid, has no such excuse. For all the poor writing and warped notions of how romance works, it's the fact that Edward is basically a big piece of jewelry with a rocklike personality to match that drives the point home that these are bad books.
Yeah I saw new moon on the weekend, I liked it. I didn't enjoy the first like 30 minutes but I really liked the rest. basically I just really like vampire/werewolf movies, and I found the whole section where they traveled to italy really cool
I don't like the romance aspects of the series, i find twilight in particular to be very cheesy and lacking any substance as a love story
Never read the books. Just saw the first movie for the first time yesterday. It was amazingly bad. Felt like the basic plot had some potential, but the acting was bad, it didn't flow well, and I hated how far off of vampire myths it goes. Though, apparently the books are supposed to be better.
Thank you archangel, thank you.
Day after day, love turns gray. Like the skin on a dying man.

I, feel

Cold as a razor blade
Tight as a tourniquet
Dry as a funeral drum

PSN: Allshalperish
Steam ID: Fiesal

Check out my band!
I read the first page of the first book found a plot hole that could consume Jupiter.

I stopped reading immediately.
I don't understand why the vampires are in highschool
or why they can stand being around so many people in school without wanting to kill them
Quote by AstheticsOfHate
Thank you archangel, thank you.

I concur; Archangel all of your posts have merit and thought and for that I thank you.

WHAT THE **** IS WITH THIS TEAM WHOEVER SHIT? JACOB'S A PEDOPHILE AND EDWARD'S A NARCACIST (didnt spell that right) SO WHY ARE WE EVEN TALKING ABOUT THEM?
I like the books and the movies

So FUCK you
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Fender Standard Telecaster HH Black (SH-5/'59)
-Fender Standard Stratocaster HH White (Nazgul/'59)
-Austin Guitars Les Paul Goldtop Copy (Distortion/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+
-Peavey Stereo Chorus 2x12 Combo
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo
-Marshall MX2x12 Cabinet

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Quote by archangels666
HUGE FUCKING WALL

You seem to only be criticizing story elements, for the most part. I did have problems with the story, and the same woes about sparkliness/ non-vampire tenancies and such, but if we're going down that road, we can criticize almost any piece of fiction that puts a spin on a familiar element. Take "30 days of night" for example. These vampires didn't have all the familiar vampiric elements, but I didn't hear anyone complaining because the movie was so awesome.

And while I can't give a counterarguement to all of your carefully picked problems with the book, I will say this. You seem to be well-informed about the series, therefore leading me to the belief that you read the books. I appreciate that you actually knew what you were talking about before you bashed the books. Thank you for that.
LOVE ANTHONY GREEN?
Quote by sneyob

But that's okay.

^Consolation Sig
Last edited by =w=eeze at Nov 24, 2009,
Quote by Decatur
I concur; Archangel all of your posts have merit and thought and for that I thank you.

WHAT THE **** IS WITH THIS TEAM WHOEVER SHIT? JACOB'S A PEDOPHILE AND EDWARD'S A NARCACIST (didnt spell that right) SO WHY ARE WE EVEN TALKING ABOUT THEM?

Edward's also a pedophile then.

Quote by MusicMan24
I like the books and the movies

So FUCK you

Was the "Fuck you" necessary? It's not going to make everyone go *gasp* "he insulted us! He must have a valid point!"
Quote by =w=eeze
You seem to be well-informed about the series, therefore leading me to the belief that you read the books. I appreciate that you actually knew what you were talking about before you bashed the books. Thank you for that.

Archangel even said he didn't write that wall.
MATTERHORN
I read Twilight a week or two after it was released, as just a random book. I ended up liking it, and reading all the others way before the movie was announced. I have watched Twilight endlessly with my girlfriend, and will see New Moon tomorrow.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by dhutton
lies! all lies! he's just taking a nap that's all!

I literally weep every time I read book four, when Dumbledore gives Cedric's funeral speech during the ending feast.

EDIT:
Quote by Doctor Matthews
Archangel even said he didn't write that wall.

Awww dammit, I'm a fool.
LOVE ANTHONY GREEN?
Quote by sneyob

But that's okay.

^Consolation Sig
Last edited by =w=eeze at Nov 24, 2009,
I read the first book and watched the first movie, just so I could see what the fuss is about. The movie was ridiculous. The book wasn't much better. It was interesting, but I can't really say much more than that. It's definitely aimed at teenage girls, and I have no idea why they're so fascinated with such an extremely hypocritical pair of guys, who are obsessed with an extremely uninteresting girl.
Quote by JMack
Are you asking if midgets can draw people that are themselves smaller than the average person, or if midget drawings in general are smaller?
Hey, someone find me that quote where someone says something about Edward being beat the shit out of by italian gangsters for sparkkly skin pl0x
My sister likes Twilight and got me to read the first 2 books, and I actually liked them, minus the terrible ooey gooey dialogue.

So we went and saw the first movie when it came out. Laughed at how terrible it was.

We went and saw New Moon just the other night. FUNNIEST MOVIE EVER.

The acting, the script, the directing. Everything. New Moon is now my favorite comedy. Well, the first half the funny, second half was just really blah.

Anyone else notice how Edward is constantly doing Zoolander's "blue steel" all the time? I laughed everytime he popped on the screen just because of that. Seriously, me, my sister, and my friend probably pissed so many people off in the theater because we laughed so much.

The actors in these movies are trying too hard to be serious, and failing. But, I can't picture anyone else portraying the characters... it's weird, it's like it's meant to be funny.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Never read the books. Just saw the first movie for the first time yesterday. It was amazingly bad. Felt like the basic plot had some potential, but the acting was bad, it didn't flow well, and I hated how far off of vampire myths it goes. Though, apparently the books are supposed to be better.

You heard wrong.
Apart from the sheer ridiculousness (and creepiness for that matter) of the relationship between the main characters, the writing is terrible at best.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
THE MOTHERFUCKING FOOT would be a lovely addition to this thread, but I will allow someone else the honors. However, on topic, I've never read the books OR seen the movies, but I just don't like the premise in the first place. Just seems stupid imo.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
Quote by Decatur

Quote by archangels666
No; it's not.

I apologize to whomever posted this originally for taking this, but it's for a good cause; also, to whomever actually wrote it. Cue wall of text:

There is a lot wrong with Stephanie Meyer's writing. Annoying, one-dimensional characters, overused and redundant adjectives, a disturbingly sick and obsessive relationship, and the most disgustingly blatant Mary Sue since Stephen Dedalus. Not to mention the fact that a love story that is supposedly about seeing inner beauty is impossible to take seriously when the writer can't stop gushing over how gorgeous and pretty and beautiful and hot and sexy and graceful and attractive Edward is. It's also worth noting the fact that it ignores pretty much all accepted ideas of vampirism, removing every single weakness and curse vampirism entails, from holy water to sunlight to the need to drink human blood to the point that Edward has as much in common with a spider as he does with the traditional idea of a vampire, and replaces them with...random superpowers. Then there's the utterly twisted plot points, like Bella marrying and getting pregnant right out of high school, Bella refusing to get away from a guy who admits to her face he feels urges to kill her solely because he's hot (or would "dazzling" be more appropriate?), and a werewolf falls in love with a newborn baby and promises to care for her until she is "of age" so he can woo her. If that wasn't horrifying enough, the baby conveniently happens to physically mature at an accelerated rate, and will look 17 when she is 7, so that's okay. No it's not.

I could accept this as a badly written book, but there are some things here that go beyond fantasy and reveal either a very naive or very twisted author. The series, which is written for girls nearing dating age, idolizes a textbook abusive relationship. Edward is controlling, prone to bursts of anger, moody, and jealous. He cuts her off socially, and she follows him like a blind puppy, expressing horror at the very concept of him leaving her. Or, you know, killing her. He justifies any wrongdoing against her with “It’s just because I love you” or “It’s what’s best for you.” As if that wasn't enough, he watches her while she sleeps. That's not sweet, that is stalkerish, and if a young girl gets the idea that this is acceptable from Edward, she will be ignorant of a classic warning sign of a very dangerous person. It presents a risk of violence and abuse as an exciting obstacle that can be overcome with true love, and treats obsessiveness as romantic and flattering, which is a great mindset to have while being abused. I have enough confidence in human intelligence to know that fans of these books aren't all going to be eager to get into abusive relationships, but if the best thing I can say about the love story is "readers will probably be smart enough not to emulate the main character," that is not a good thing.

The Twilight series is a poorly written story of an obsessive relationship told by an unreliable narrator, but even with all this I could still ignore it. But there is one story aspect that I simply cannot overlook, one that fills me with such rage and disgust at the very thought of it that I feel true, genuine hatred for this series and its author. I am talking, of course, about sparkly vampires. That is not a joke. The vampires sparkle. They're not weak to sunlight, it makes them glitter. I could understand if it was a cringeworthy metaphor, but no. As if Edward wasn't already slathered in adjective and adverb vomit, he has to literally emit glowing rays of light to really drive the point home that he's pretty. For god's sake, even My Little Pony has the taste and common decency to forgo bioluminescence, and she's a horse who exists for no reason other than to look pretty. Edward, a humanoid, has no such excuse. For all the poor writing and warped notions of how romance works, it's the fact that Edward is basically a big piece of jewelry with a rocklike personality to match that drives the point home that these are bad books.

Well said.
God, the one place i thought i could come and not hear about this f**king movie/ book
Quote by severed-metal
Hey, someone find me that quote where someone says something about Edward being beat the shit out of by italian gangsters for sparkkly skin pl0x

HOLDON I WSA READIN THRED AND SAW DIS
Okay, fine.
That's it, I'm done.
I am now convinced that the series is nowhere near anywhere as good as I initially tried to convince myself it was.
The first book is terrible, the movie is only slightly better, mostly because it doesn't go ad nauseum on the oogey gooey creeper dialogue like the book does.
The second book is a lot better in many places, mostly because it doesn't have Edward in it as much, and I have yet to see the movie.
The rest of the series was just fun to read because I was getting wrapped up in a fantasy story, not that there's really anything spectacular there.

I bow down in reverence to archangel's post.
I haven't read the books nor seen the movie, but I can definitely say one thing. Robert Pattinson looked much better as Cedric Diggory.

Quote by =w=eeze
Is anyone else going to admit they read the Twilight books/ enjoy the Twilight movies? I know I do. Although I found the ending of the series to be unsatisfying. And I don't really like the portrayal of Edward or Bella in the movies. But when you look past the little flaws, it's really a great story, and surprisingly well-written.
Even if you hate Twilight, I want to hear your opinion.
Go!

NO.

I downloaded an electronic version of the first book. I wanted to see what the hype was all about. I got past a couple of chapters, just to see how sub-standard it could get. It's like any other high school luv story written by an angsty teenager with pent-up emoshunz.

Write, Stephenie Meyer, write, but for fuck's sake, don't publish it.