I've been looking for a new acoustic to buy and i am kinda confused. what's the difference between a "Ovation Elite TX SS" and a "Ovation Elite TX"? Also, what are some suggestions with Ovation?
You, you try, you try to get by,
you’re never going to pull it off,
you shouldn't even try.
You're a wet cigarette,
you’re always second best,
they're never going to give a sh*t about anybody but themselves.
Unless you plan on plugging in for the majority of the time, I would not go with Ovation. I had one and sold it because they are pretty bad unplugged.
like the person above me, i'm really not a fan of ovations. they play the closest to an electric that a true acoustic can i think, but sacrifice in tone and comfort. anyway, the SS might be something to do with the neck. "Super Slim" maybe, or something like that. i don't know, but thats my first guess.

i bet if you called musicians friend they'd be able to tell you pretty quickly. i've never bought from them, but i have called them with a few questions before
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
the only difference i could spot is that the s s comes with a case.

personally i don't care for these lower priced ovations. their sound is not that inspiring. i DO like the al dimeola, which sounds incredible and has a different neck than the uncomfortable one on the sub-$1000 models.
The only suggestion I have for Ovations is don't buy one haha. No really don't do it. If you must buy an Ovation save yourself some money and buy an Applause they are exactally the same but $200 cheaper
I do sure love me them Gibsons boy
Applause are even worse.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
You guys a friggin horrible and should be ashamed. You play ONE Ovation (a low end model at that) and condemn them all. Give me a break. Saying an Ovation is the same as an Applause, is like saying: Epiphone and Gibson; Squier and Fender; Sigma and Martin are equals, respectively. If you don't know, don't post. Its better to be silent, than to speak and prove your ignorance.

TJ the Gnome, go to http://www.ovationfanclub.com and ask there. They truly know their O's.

Also here is Ovation's listing of Elite-T series and specs
http://www.ovationguitars.com/?fa=series&sid=356

To answer the question: Ovation Elite TX SS" vs "Ovation Elite TX
I have never heard of a TX SS, but I believe the SS (as seen on the internet) relates to the bowl depth being "Super Shallow" or the 1868TX series. So they would be the same thing.

I have one of the last Elite-T 1868T made in the USA (as well as 2 other O's). The TX models are very similar but imported (from Korea I believe). The Super Shallow body is very comfortable to play, but can sound thin in some cases (like all guitars, it varies). It really shines plugged in. If you want a fuller sounding O (unplugged), I suggest you look at Mid, Full, or Contour bowl models. You will not find an acoustic guitar that can be setup like an electric better than an Ovation. You will be hard pressed to find an acoustic/electric that sounds better plugged in than an Ovation. They are extremely stable and resistant to temperature and humidity changes. Ovations are designed to project. So they sound thinner to the player than to the audience. So when looking for a guitar, play as many as you can. Take a friend with you and let him play it and you listen. Make your decision form there.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Last edited by Auriemma at Nov 24, 2009,
Quote by Auriemma
I have one of the last Elite-T 1868T made in the USA (as well as 2 other O's). The TX models are very similar but imported (from Korea I believe). The Super Shallow body is very comfortable to play, but can sound thin in some cases (like all guitars, it varies). It really shines plugged in. If you want a fuller sounding O (unplugged), I suggest you look at Mid, Full, or Contour bowl models. You will not find an acoustic guitar that can be setup like an electric better than an Ovation. You will be hard pressed to find an acoustic/electric that sounds better plugged in than an Ovation. They are extremely stable and resistant to temperature and humidity changes. Ovations are designed to project. So they sound thinner to the player than to the audience. So when looking for a guitar, play as many as you can. Take a friend with you and let him play it and you listen. Make your decision form there.

While I agree with some things you've said, I will contest this with you to the end. The true pure purpose of a guitar amplification system(pickups and such) is just supposed to increase the volume of the guitar. Nothing more(although people will argue that colouring of the sound should be a secondary purpose, which I do not agree with).

Any great sounding, proper acoustic guitar with an amplification system designed for purity of sound will sound better than an Ovation. The reason why Ovations sound good plugged in is because they don't sound like regular acoustic guitars.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by Auriemma
You guys a friggin horrible and should be ashamed... If you don't know, don't post. Its better to be silent, than to speak and prove your ignorance.

you may have ended up with a decent ovation, but to be honest i've played tons. the only store truly local to me stocks ovations and low end martins. i've only run into one i ever thought was decent, and it wasn't in a store; it belonged to a friend.

they're definitely not for everybody. aside from the strange plastic back that slides all over the place, i hate the acoustic sound (the whole point in an acoustic, right?) and i'd rather mic an acoustic than plug it in. so thats not a feature that sticks out to me.

people on these forums don't really trash talk guitars just to trash talk them. next time you see an entire thread full of people saying they dislike something it's because they really do.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Nov 24, 2009,
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
you may have ended up with a decent ovation, but to be honest i've played tons. the only store truly local to me stocks ovations and low end martins. i've only run into one i ever thought was decent, and it wasn't in a store; it belonged to a friend.

they're definitely not for everybody. aside from the strange plastic back that slides all over the place, i hate the acoustic sound (the whole point in an acoustic, right?) and i'd rather mic an acoustic than plug it in. so thats not a feature that sticks out to me.

people on these forums don't really trash talk guitars just to trash talk them. next time you see an entire thread full of people saying they dislike something it's because they really do.

well said bullet
I do sure love me them Gibsons boy
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
you may have ended up with a decent ovation, but to be honest I've played tons. the only store truly local to me stocks ovations and low end martins. I've only run into one i ever thought was decent, and it wasn't in a store; it belonged to a friend.
First, I have 3, two great Ovations and one good one (and my "Martin Only" cousin loves the "good" one). Next, your local store has a problem and your friend has good taste in guitars. Lastly...You've played tons of Ovations? Not buying it. After 3 or 4, you would just avoid them. Its human nature.

Quote by LifeIsABullet16
they're definitely not for everybody. aside from the strange plastic back that slides all over the place, i hate the acoustic sound (the whole point in an acoustic, right?) and I'd rather mic an acoustic than plug it in. so thats not a feature that sticks out to me.
No, they are not for everyone. But that can be said of ANY guitar. But maybe Ovation is for TJ, myself and thousands of other who appreciate its sound (plugged, unplugged or mic'ed) and have learned how to sit and play a round back. If you can't figure out how, don't blame the rest of us for your downfalls.

Quote by LifeIsABullet16
That may be so, but TJ didn't ask for opinions on Ovations, TJ wanted to know the difference between the two models (hint: its a typo, there is no ELITE-TX SS). At least Patticake tried. BUT THE REST OF YOU IGNORED THE QUESTION. You just talked trash.

Its like asking: Should I use steel or phosphor/bronze strings on my Tak?
And getting: Takamines are crap, sell it and buy a Martin.
The answer is completely off topic and of no help or value to the OP. (not that any of you would stoop to trashing talking a Tak)

Just answer the question instead of trying to change his mind, and if you don't know the answer... don't post.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Last edited by Auriemma at Nov 25, 2009,
^ It seems like you only read the parts you wanted....

Quote by LifeIsaBullet16

like the person above me, i'm really not a fan of ovations. they play the closest to an electric that a true acoustic can i think, but sacrifice in tone and comfort. anyway, the SS might be something to do with the neck. "Super Slim" maybe, or something like that. i don't know, but thats my first guess.

i bet if you called musicians friend they'd be able to tell you pretty quickly. i've never bought from them, but i have called them with a few questions before

I understand that you are a big fan of Ovations, but I'm sure you can even admit that they are sort of an acquired, unique taste. I honestly do not see why it is a big deal that people give their opinions on a certain brand (especially when someone does not know a lot about acoustic guitars). In this case, you jumped down the guys throat when he answered the question to the best of his ability, and gave a recommendation of where to find the answer.

Quote by Auriemma
You guys a friggin horrible and should be ashamed. You play ONE Ovation (a low end model at that) and condemn them all. Give me a break. Saying an Ovation is the same as an Applause, is like saying: Epiphone and Gibson; Squier and Fender; Sigma and Martin are equals, respectively. If you don't know, don't post. Its better to be silent, than to speak and prove your ignorance.

I think it is silly to assume that a forum of aficionados would only try a low-end model before they formed their opinion. My own little example: I am not a big fan of Gibson guitars for a variety of reasons (the big boomy sound really isn't my thing, and I think they are overpriced). However, when I am trying out guitars, I still play all of the Gibson guitars in the price range that are at the shop. Why? I would be crazy not to try everything before I spent my money. I think that is all these guys were suggesting.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by Auriemma
Lastly...You've played tons of Ovations? Not buying it. After 3 or 4, you would just avoid them. Its human nature.

i play a few every time i go in. considering how many times i've been in that music store i've definitely played plenty of ovations, yeah. i play the low end martins every time too. doesn't mean i love them, but if i don't try out everything i can then whats the point of being in a music store to try guitars out?

as an ovation owner you should be able to admit that they're pretty unique guitars. they're not going to be for everybody. ovation knows that. if they wanted to appeal to everybody they'd have come up with a normal full-bodied acoustic OR some way to make a wooden roundback by now. but telling people they're being ignorant just because they don't prefer something doesn't make sense. thats like owning a 7 string and telling everybody with a 6 string that they're out of date.

Honestly, **** Ovation. It's just an engineering project gone horribly long. Very bright, almost "reflective" and artificial sound with absolutely none of the woody depth an acoustic is supposed to have. The good ones, while sounding amazing compared to other Ovations, still don't sound right. The sound is so far from balanced and musical, it's disgusting.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
well ive got an ovation cs 257. its not one of their expensive models but its still better than any acoustic ive played because it actually sounds like an acoustic when u play through an amp and like an electric if u play through an amp with a lil distortion. and it sounds great unplugged as well so there u go. ive seen frampton play an ovation b4 and mick from slipknot has a signature ovation so its a pretty versatile guitar. hope that helped.
hey man i have an ovation and i rock it everyday and ill rock a martin or a fender i dont care . i was born to rock man thats all that matters.
It's threads like this that really irk me.

I went to Guitar Center to try out a number of acoustics on Monday and my original goal was an Ovation, but based on the shitty remarks and reviews many users off of here gave me, I insisted on going in to the store to play them.

I tried out about 3 dozen acoustics in the 300-800$ price range. I tried everything whether or not I liked the looks. I tried every brand they had, I tried every color/design. Finally, I decided to try out a 2000$ Gibson.

Obviously the gibson was the best, but not by much. It played the SAME as the Ovation I'm getting(1778 TX). It did sound a little bit better. If I had 2000$ to spend on a guitar, would I put it down on the Gibson? Absolutely... absolutely not. It was highly unjustified. I didn't hear angels sing when the damn thing was played.

Of all the guitars I can afford that I played, the specific ovation I am getting sounded, and played the best, unplugged. I didn't have the opportunity to plug in, but everyone does rave at the plugged in ovation sound.

I played a 300$ ovation as well, and it sounded better than an 800$ Takamine, and played better.

I'm not really sure what the deal is, why does everyone hate ovation? They are as good as all the other brands out there. I know the back is odd, so what? It's an advancement in the guitar. Its still a guitar. Shit, you're car has power steering, windows and GPS, does that not make it a car, because they weren't there when the car was originally designed a hundred or so years ago?

I can honestly say that I think most of the ovation haters on here are idiots. They're too damn stubborn for some unknown reason and they won't get their heads out of their asses to go try out a few ovations. A lot of artists use ovation with good reason.

Go to a local store that has a wide variety, and play a wide variety. You'll see that Ovation does not deserve to be bashed like this. While I'm not saying they are the best, they are very good guitars and they deserve praise.
This thread makes me weary.

Ovation guys: it is okay to like them. But don't assume everyone who does not like them has not played them. Understand that they are unique; in fact, revel in the fact they are unique! But don't make the assumption that everyone who dislikes them is a bandwagon asshole. We have a lot of people here who take their money seriously, and will go and play 30 acoustics before they buy one. Don't shit on their opinion because it is not the same as yours.

The question was answered in the first couple of posts, so this does not need to be open anymore. Closed. If anyone has any problems with this, you can shoot me a PM.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.