I have been playing for a year and I only have my starter bass. I'm ready to get a new bass because the one I have right now sounds terrible at high volumes.

Anyway, I mostly play metal/hard-rock.
what amp have you got?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by sticksause
I have been playing for a year and I only have my starter bass. I'm ready to get a new bass because the one I have right now sounds terrible at high volumes.

Anyway, I mostly play metal/hard-rock.

sounds more likely to do with the amp rather than the bass tbh.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
It could also be with the state of your bass. Maybe it's not a bad model, it's just got high action or bad intonation and other things that a someone kinda new to the instrument wouldn't really know how to fix.
Take the bass to a guitar shop or even an experienced player you know to get some advise.
You never know, you could get it sounding alot better without shelling out for a new instrument.
It's probably your amp that sucks.

OR

You could buy a Ibanez SR300 for that price or maybe the 5 string version.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
It may sound odd, but a Squier VM Jazz is honestly almost as good as an HWY 1 or MIA, for a little over $300 new how can you go wrong?
I've got an Acoustic 100W amp. The amp is great, my friend tried his bass through it and it sounded awesome. I've played other basses before and I sound better on them than with my own. My current bass is a Dean Edge and it sucks. The action is at it's lowest, yet the notes past the 12th fret are nearly impossible to play at a fast speed. The bass just sounds awful when you put up the volume.
Im going to suggest a traben, but it's a somewhat biased opinion. You could get an Array for that price either the 4 or 5 string version, both are very nice. I do suggest you try them out first before you buy though. Some people like me love them and others can't stand them.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Quote by Shy Guy
It may sound odd, but a Squier VM Jazz is honestly almost as good as an HWY 1 or MIA, for a little over $300 new how can you go wrong?

Heh heh where're you living? Here a Squier would cost about $500.
and 700-800 here
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
This really sounds like an issue with the amp. The tone of a bass doesn't change with volume.
Nope, no sig here.
Nope its the guitar thats the problem. I had/have a Dean Edge bass. anything above the 9th fret on mine does that... I run a 30 watt Hartke bass amp in my basement, and i ran it through 3 other amps all the same result.

To answer your question the SR300 is really nice (thats what I got) or a used Fender MIM bass if your willing to go used.
I hear Epiphone just released some Korina basses if that would interest you :P

I'm not that knowledgeable on basses or what to use for death metal though honestly....