Page 1 of 3
Hey guys in your opinion who are the masters? Maybe even tell why.
for example I like Maynard from Tool because he's vague enough that you will relate to his lyrics even if you are thinking something completely different, which is pretty cool IMO it really broadens your audience there a few others I really like as well, so what about you?
Maynard James Keenan of Tool
Reason: He leaves room for the listener to think without spoon feeding you the meaning song.
Chino Moreno of Deftones
Reason: A great story teller. He's consistent even when there's a need for repition.
Tom Waits.

/thread
UG FORUM
Your 21st Century Ant Farm
Corroborating Sturgeon's Law Since 2003
It depends on what genre of music you're talking about as well. And, if you are asking, people are just going to generally say they're own favorite artists.

Instead, take your own favorite artists/lyricists, and see if you can research their influences and inspirations. It's a cool way to spend some time and will open you up to the beats and techniques that you can extract and use in your own lyrics.
Mikael Åkerfeldt from Opeth is probably my favourite lyrically. From the top of my head I can name Bleak and Coil as some if his best.
Kurt Cobain was a brilliant lyricist and overall songwriter, probably my favorite. Deals with real issues and not a poser, it's totally him being him, nothing superficial or overly polished. I find after listening to his stuff for a while everything else sounds so corporate, you know? Another great lyricist is James Hetfield of course.
Cobain, Hetfield, Dani Filth, Valfar (from Windir)

And Thorn Arwood from Hail The Night
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
Kurt Cobain, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, Roger Waters, David Gilmour

I could go on forever...
Peter Sinfield, great great lyricist, can do whatever he wishes to do, unlimited. So many references to literature, culture, history, philosophy.
Dylan.
Adrian Belew. Quirky, funny, deep.
Bruce Cockburn. Wonderful, targeted lyrics.
Mark Heard. Ahh. RIP Mark. Heart felt, intense lyrics.
Pierce Pettis. Great story teller.
Jon Anderson, if you like stuff that sounds good but only makes sense to him.
Peter Gabriel. Great imagery.
Sting, sometimes. Sometimes, not.
Roger Waters. Love his lists.
Bono. He uses a ton of literary references.
Kate Bush, Tori Amos, storytellers with very strange points of view. But good lyrics.

There are so many more. I agree that "good" is defined by musical genre. I think singer/songwriters write good lyrics for themselves, since they can manage a melody with difficult wordings, since it is their own thing. A trick, I suppose, is to write lyrics that are meaningful, deep, hit right on, and can be effectively used by someone else (i.e. even if they are personal, that another singer/musician can reinterpret them).

I read on Sinfield's website that Greg Lake told him that the lyrics had to really measure up, since Lake had to stand before 50,000 people and sing to them, and make them believe what he was singing. That is exactly what it is, being able to convey/convince through your lyrics, no matter the size of the audience. Then you know whether or not the lyrics are good.
Leonard Cohen.
I felt like a monster reincarnation of Horatio Alger......a man on the move and just sick enough to be totally confident.

Quote by Hexagram
Oh and Zeke, i find you to be over-rated
Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) in the 80s for sure. I also like Jim Steinman. Queen.
my all time favorite is kurt kobain.. because he is sooooooo amazingly creative that it hurts. ahhaa.. most of the songs i write are styled after his
Bob Dylan
Jerry Garcia
Gene Pitney
Bob Seger
Jeff Lynne
John Lennon

are the "Great Songwriters of the 20th century" in my book...
Quote by CoreysMonster
you know why rabbits are smarter than cows?

fucking cows start moo-ing around for no reason, but rabbits keep their mouth shut until they actually have something to say.

god I hate cows.
Dave Mustaine
Lennon/McCartney
Neil Peart
Michael Jackson (if you intend to ridicule me for this, please know what you're talking about beforehand)

Quote by metaleater
my all time favorite is kurt kobain.. because he is sooooooo amazingly creative that it hurts. ahhaa.. most of the songs i write are styled after his

He’s the one
Who likes all our pretty songs
And he likes to sing along
And he likes to shoot his gun
But he knows not what it means
Knows not what it means
when I say
He’s the one
Who likes all our pretty songs
And he likes to sing along
And he likes to shoot his gun
But he knows not what it means
Knows not what it means
when I say yeeeaaahhh

wut.
Last edited by nincompoop at Dec 5, 2009,
Isaac Brock and Peter Silberman would be my favs.
Quote by RATM forever
definitely the best spam thread today!
Jesse Lacey from Brand New is amazing. Definitely a big inspiration for me.
Max Bemis from Say Anything is great to listen to. He used to be pretty messed up mentally which led to some weird but great stuff. Nowadays I still love his stuff but it's not as far out imo.
Warren Zevon.

If you don't know why just listen to any of his songs.
myspace.com/sidetrackedrock
myspace.com/scottkrausmusic

Quote by an epic mistake
Woah guys, this is actually the first post relevant to the thread in a LOOONG time. I applaud you Scotdizzle.

I found the damn sig thing!
Robert Hunter, Bob Dylan, Jim Morrison
Freedom isn't free...

It costs like ten dollars a gram
Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell, Tom Waits, Conor Oberst, Jeff Mangum (Neutral Milk Hotel), Sam Beam (Iron and Wine), Jeff Tweedy (Wilco), Fionn Regan, MF Doom, Andrew Bird, Lou Reed, Thom Yorke, some ones that I can think of at the moment.

Also, I realize I will probably get ostracized for saying this, and I do like their music, but I think Jim Morrison is an absolutely terrible lyricist. It seems like people get wrapped up in his persona and they don't really take the time to actually seriously examine the lyrical content. If you really take the time to study it at least somewhat closely, a lot of it comes off as ham-fisted and without any real depth or imagination to it.
Quote by halloweenhead
Isaac Brock and Peter Silberman would be my favs.

I think many would agree that Isaac Brock has the best lyrics of any mainstream rock group in the last decade. Modest Mouse goes from pop art to serious art in my book because of his masterful lyric writing.

Quote by ohhey9040

Also, I realize I will probably get ostracized for saying this, and I do like their music, but I think Jim Morrison is an absolutely terrible lyricist. It seems like people get wrapped up in his persona and they don't really take the time to actually seriously examine the lyrical content.

I've never met anyone who talked about the Doors that didn't completely agree with you. That music wasn't about brilliant lyric writing at all and Morrison didn't write impressive lyrics, he didn't need to and the music was still great in its own right. The lyrics worked with the format and what they tried to achieve, but I don't think anyone can claim they're anything special on their own and I've never heard someone say so.

edit* except for three people in this thread apparently. Seriously folks? A great songwriter, but one of the greatest lyricists?!? No.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Dec 12, 2009,
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I think many would agree that Isaac Brock has the best lyrics of any mainstream rock group in the last decade. Modest Mouse goes from pop art to serious art in my book because of his masterful lyric writing.

I've never met anyone who talked about the Doors that didn't completely agree with you. That music wasn't about brilliant lyric writing at all and Morrison didn't write impressive lyrics, he didn't need to and the music was still great in its own right. The lyrics worked with the format and what they tried to achieve, but I don't think anyone can claim they're anything special on their own and I've never heard someone say so.

Really? It seems like every Doors fan I know of thinks he was a lyrical god. But I really like his voice and they had some great songs, so
Metal lyrics? Dave mustaine by far, except his newer stuff....and overall, isaac brock from modest mouse, though im not a real fan of his music i love his lyrics....
John Lennon
Jerry Garcia (and Robert Hunter)
Trey Anastasio (and Tom Marshall)
Greg Allman
Jim Morrison
Bob Dylan
Neil Young
Neil Peart
Sean Dailey (Slug)
Brother Ali
KRS-One
Rakim
Talib Kweli
Common
Mos Def
Ray Charles!!!
Bradley Nowell
Bob Marley
Peter Tosh
Marvin Gaye
Otis Redding
Syd Barret
Roger Waters

tons more...
Chino Moreno. His lyrics are so simple, and yet very multidimensional. Same thing with Thom Yorke.
Last edited by btones at Dec 14, 2009,
Quote by Sewe Dae
Tom Waits.

/thread

Aye
Quote by MightyAl
Step 1. approach buxom bar wench
Step 2. Bet her 50p you can make her tits jiggle without touching them.
Step 3. Grab her tits and give them a good shake
Step 4. hand over 50p(the best 50p you ever spent).

^^ Lawlzz
Anyone can be a master all you need is flow and the rhyme. AKA nothing on here.
randy newman- he wrote "short people", "i love LA", tons of quirky humours movies songs thaqt are really catchy.

Bono- what he writes is what i want to say. joshua tree is a great start. "where the streets have no name" and "with or without you" are stand outs

Robert hunter- wrote the bulk of the grateful deads catalog. master at story telling.

Dave Mustain- the man calling out "THE MAN". "holy wars" is among my all time faves. "hanger 18" and "peace sells" just a couple more.

Pete Townsend- wrote angst before it was popular.

Jim James- singer for my morning jacket. just listen the the album Z
I agree with many of the choices here, and disagree with only a few... so here are the one's that people don't seem to be mentioning:

With consistency:

Isaac Brock (Modest Mouse)
Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes, among others)

Less consistent, but often brilliant:

Alex Turner (Arctic Monkeys)
Julian Casablancas (The Strokes)
Kele Okereke (Bloc Party)
Win Butler/Everyone else (Arcade Fire)
Thom Yorke (Radiohead)
Will Sheff (Okkervil River)
Page 1 of 3