Im wondering how much I can get for my cosmetic and bias modded Peavey 5150. Its just not what I want when it comes to tone. I play deathmetal but I love jazz, and crunchy stuff too. I'm looking for a really solid hi-gain tone, not muddy, not over saturated but still have smooth lead tones. I'm in love with the lead tones from a Bogner-Line 6.

I even replaced the tubes with JJ6l6GC's still don't like the tone that much. I've considered a couple different amps so far: Marshall JCM (enter number here im not too familiar with model numbers) or a Mesa Dual Rec.

I plan on just using the money from the head to purchase my new head. Either eBay or Craigslist.

EDIT:Ops here it is.
-Gear-
Mesa Triple Rectifier---Bogner/Line6 SpiderValve---Orange PPC 4x12

-Pedalboard/Rackmount-
Alesis MidiVerb4--BBE SonicMaximizer 442--Ibanez TS9
Boss DD-3--Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

-Guitars-
Ibanez ART-100
Ibanez S-470
Last edited by FlyingPooooo at Nov 24, 2009,
Yeah. $500 if you really need cash fast, but since that isn't the case, $600 if you're impatient and $800 (or $799 if you're a true businessman) if you can wait like a month or two trying to sell it and would be happy with $750. Honestly, I would never go near a person trying to sell a 5150 for over $700. They're so common. Heck, I've seen one in good condition for $450 with a Boss NS-2 for $450 OBO. It's gonna be a hard road trying to sell it for a lot. I'd just post on craigslist for $750 or something, and see the responses. A lot of lowballers.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
Yeah. $500 if you really need cash fast, but since that isn't the case, $600 if you're impatient and $800 (or $799 if you're a true businessman) if you can wait like a month or two trying to sell it and would be happy with $750. Honestly, I would never go near a person trying to sell a 5150 for over $700. They're so common. Heck, I've seen one in good condition for $450 with a Boss NS-2 for $450 OBO. It's gonna be a hard road trying to sell it for a lot. I'd just post on craigslist for $750 or something, and see the responses. A lot of lowballers.

+ 1
Thats exactly the thing, I bought this one for $375!!!

But I put a lot of work into it. New pre-amp, new power tubes and the Blue LED's mounted inside. Hopefully I can get $700. I dont mind waiting.
-Gear-

-Pedalboard/Rackmount-

-Guitars-
Ibanez ART-100
Ibanez S-470
You could get $500-600 easy.

As for a new amp look into the Ampeg VH-140c, SS-140c or Crate GX-130c all of which are basically the exact same amp. They are discontinued ss amps but are some of the most versatile amps you will ever hear. Cleans almost as good as the Roland JC and awesome high gain channel. Hard to come by though but are worth the wait. If I had the money I would own one already.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Nov 24, 2009,
Quote by FlyingPooooo
Thats exactly the thing, I bought this one for $375!!!

But I put a lot of work into it. New pre-amp, new power tubes and the Blue LED's mounted inside. Hopefully I can get $700. I dont mind waiting.

Oh were you the guy who posted here about the cosmetic modifications? Haha. That was really really cool looking if that was you. Seriously, I'd drop 50 bucks extra for that (which probably means some crazy guy would drop a franklin!! ..unless I'm the crazy guy willing to drop a 50...)
Anyways, the bias mod is really common and can only boost the value a little bit. New tubes is always good. A lot of people like the original tone, so it's not really gonna help you sell it or impede you from selling it.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Really really really, dont want an SS amp. I need tube crunch. Hahaha

Yes I think that was me. IT was about a month ago.
-Gear-

-Pedalboard/Rackmount-

-Guitars-
Ibanez ART-100
Ibanez S-470
Last edited by FlyingPooooo at Nov 24, 2009,
New tubes are worth say $100 on the street. Maybe a bit less. Bias mod is def cool. A 5150 for $450 would probably concern me. If your amp is in good shape with no issues you can get what you want. Don't talk about how you don't like the JJ's just talk about how it 'rips' now.

No issues at all a great working amp. Just dont like the 'fatness' too it. Want more clarity? Ha.
-Gear-

-Pedalboard/Rackmount-

-Guitars-
Ibanez ART-100
Ibanez S-470
Quote by FlyingPooooo
Really really really, dont want an SS amp. I need tube crunch. Hahaha

Yes I think that was me. IT was about a month ago.

Not necessarily your loss, but definitely someone else gain. There are people that swear by those amps as being better than any tube.

A JCM900 might be good for you. More or less an 800 with a little more gain on tap and half the price. Another very good amp I'd love to own one or a very good clone of.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
too bad you'r enot in my city.. where 5150s still go for around $800 used..

**** i hate victoria :P
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
dude, there's a lot of people out there that don't know about the bias mod, that don't know how easy it is to run leds in a head, that only know a new 5150 goes for about a grand and "OMG OMG!!! B4MV uses one!"

take the new price, whatever it actually is, and drop maybe a couple bills off that. post it up on CL and play up the hot bias, new tubes, leds, etc.
say you hate to sell it, but _____. no mentioning anything negative that isn't (1) blatantly obvious and (2) true... like a rough patch on the tolex... or something. i'm not telling you to lie about it, i'm just saying don't say you're getting rid of it because (for example) it's too muddy. to a potential buyer it might be perfect. why instill doubt?
Yeah probably between $600-$800.

Try listing in UG's classfield section and also put it on SevenString.org and Harmony-Central.com
Both have excellent buying/selling sections and I've done many transactions there without issue.

Use eBay as a last resort, in the end they wind up taking a good portion of your final price with all their fee's.