So, my band has found a really talented lead guitarist, and with the other founding member(besides me) already being a talented rhythm guitarist, well, 3 guitars is a bit superfluous, isn't it? So, we decided that I'd move to bass; I'm down with this, the bass actually feels surprisingly natural and a good fit, especially since I can get a bass part down fast and then concentrate on singing while running that basically on auto-pilot for most of a song. I've narrowed it down to one of two basses; either an Ibanez SR-405 5 String, or an ESP F-255 5 string(the choice comes down entirely to whether or not it's going to be hideously expensive for my friend to ship the ESP across the country from California to Massachusetts). So now I'm just left wondering what I should get amp-wise for this bad boy. Can anybody offer me suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Also, if you can recommend any pedals/effects that are just absolute must-haves, please, have at it.
You're going to want a minimum of 200 watts. How much money do you have to spend?
No pedals are 'absolutely neccesary' though I wouldn't want to do without my overdrive and I'm in desperate need of a wah. (but that's just me)

Edit: I say a minimum of 200, but I would get annoyed at anything less than 500
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Hrm; let's just avoid a money cap, although I'll say that I'm not looking to spend too much(I also need to buy a mixer and amp for our PA, and at some point I'm also looking to get the inevitable band van for hauling gear), I'd obviously like to pick up something quality that I'll like the sound of and keep for awhile. Any particular brands you'd recommend for amps?
Last edited by UnbrokenGlass at Nov 24, 2009,
ashdown and ampeg.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
ACOUSTIC!!!! I gig with an Acoustic half stack, and it only cost me 600 for the rig. B200 head and a 4x10 cab
Hartke is well worth looking into as well
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
If you're in Britain get Ashdown, if you're in America get Acoustic, if you have sense disregard the previous statement and get Kustom.

(ITT: People shout their favourite amp brands)
+1 for Acoustic. Awesome amps for the money (Ran a Ric through a B200 and the bastard GROWLED)
Rockingedit: Or just get a set of really nice bass cabs as your PA speakers and plug the bass into there through a dedicated channel.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Last edited by Rockingbird at Nov 24, 2009,
Quote by Spaz91
(ITT: People shout their favourite amp brands)

It's really true

But surely peoples favourites are the ones that they personally think sound the best?
Asking which amp is the best is awfully subjective, we'll give you a list of what amp makes are decent, and really it should be up to you to choose which sound suits you best (if you have access to a shop of course).
If you can't test them out then most manufacturers websites will have hideously biased audio demos.
Quote by Casketcreep
It's really true

But surely peoples favourites are the ones that they personally think sound the best?
Asking which amp is the best is awfully subjective, we'll give you a list of what amp makes are decent, and really it should be up to you to choose which sound suits you best (if you have access to a shop of course).
If you can't test them out then most manufacturers websites will have hideously biased audio demos.

In any other case I would agree with you but in the case of Kustom my reasons for loving them are completely objective. They are really ****ing loud and almost* indestructable. Sound, I agree, is subjective though (except Behring and Stagg of course.)

*I say almost because I broke mine (something I have a knack for), but only after removing the grill and accidentally standing on the speaker, don't ask how.
+1 to the Kustom, and if this is becoming a shout-out-your-favorite-amp-as-a-recommendation-fest, I'd say Markbass if your willing to really shell out. Acoustic is probably your most economical option
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I got an ashdown mag amp, and I love it. It's probably your best bet in the lower end of half stacks. I got mine with a used head and a new 410 cab for a little less than 600. In my opinion it puts out the best tone on your bass. If you can find a kustom it'd be nice, but the only ones I could find were REALLY expensive, but I guess my budget is low and I wasn't gonna shell out 100+ for shipping...
Quote by Sooopo
You sir, have made my day awesome.

8/7/09

RIP Les Paul, I bet he's forming a kick-ass band up there to play The Great Gig in the Sky. Maybe we'll all have to use a Stairway to Heaven to go see them play. You know I'm funny.