I'm a touring musician. Been a Gibson guy for quite some time, and I'm feeling it's time for me to branch out - I want a Tele! I've played on a few different ones recently, and totally digging them. I thought maybe I could come here for some help on picking out the right one for me, as I'm not sure which to get.

I'm a modern rock/pop guitarist, lead and rhythm. Sounds that I want range from Tom Petty, Kings of Leon, The Bravery, Springsteen, Third Eye Blind, Queens of the Stone Age, etc. I'm playing through a Mesa Lonestar 2x12 combo, with plenty of different effects pedals. I'll still have my Les Paul with me as part of my touring and studio arsenal, but really want to incorporate the right Tele into my palette.

My budget is around $1000, though I could go up a few hundred if I really had to. I'll likely buy American made - this thing will tour extensively, and I beat the hell out of my gear.

What's the difference between Ash and Alder body types? Also, what differences can I expect with a rosewood vs. maple fretboard? I'm used to the rosewood fretboard on my Gibsons, but one of the Teles I borrowed for a bit was a maple fretboard, and it didn't bother me whatsoever.

There's obviously the American Standard Tele, and I'm thinking this is what I'll most likely get. I'm thinking of buying a used one off of Craigslist (I've never bought a used guitar before). Are there any particular years I should look for (or more importantly, look out for)? Any reason at all why I should go for new vs. used?

There's the American Delux Tele with the noiseless pickups. The idea of noiseless tele pickups sounds great. But I want to know, is it too good to be true? Is there any Tele tone lost? I worry a little bit about noise, but then again, I don't play with heaps of gain, and I'm rarely super close to my amp.

I see the American Vintage '52 Tele. It looks really, really nice, and get phenomenal reviews online - but it's quite a bit more expensive than the Standard. To those of you that have played the vintage vs. the standard, is the vintage really that much better? (I'm also a little turned off by the vintage pickup selection wiring - I know it can be swapped out, but that's just another thing to deal with).

Fyi - I'm not super worried about the setup of the guitar when I buy it, as I'll have it set up by my tech for my string gauge (11-52). I'll also likely have Sperzel locking tuners installed.

Oh, one more thing I'd like to add - I'm very partial to guitars with finishes that show wear when played hard. I play my guitar hard, and I like for it to show!

Thanks in advance for you advice!
Go with the deluxe. I have one and it's amazing, and doesnt cost much more than the standard. It's not just the pickups which are better, the overall build quality far surpasses the standard.

For the difference in price it's worth it every time
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
I'm more of a fan of the CIJ teles myself, I think the necks feel nicer to play for a prolonged period of time. But if one isn't available I would get the american standard and put some nice pickups in there, personally I'd have some BKP. Just because I find the fender ones to be a little thin.

With the fretboards, maple gives you a brighter sound than rosewood.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by samuwel
Go with the deluxe. I have one and it's amazing, and doesnt cost much more than the standard. It's not just the pickups which are better, the overall build quality far surpasses the standard.

For the difference in price it's worth it every time

So with the noiseless pickups, do you feel that you loose any of the classic tele sound? I've read a few reviews that say yes, you do loose some. I've also read other reviews that say you don't, and the nosieless pickups are great.

How do you like the Tele Deluxe neck? It's a little bit slimmer, right?
if you want a finish that will show eventually the Highway One Tele is the way to go
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
If you want your finish to show wear you could always sand off the lacquer on the body and then play the hell out of it. It's what I did to my strat and it looks fine.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

dont limit yourself to fender, check out G&L teles. or if you want to up your budget a bit more, try Nash guitars. honestly, the best guitars ive ever played.

and im sure you know this all ready, but its best just to get your hands on as many teles as you can. let your fingers be the judge.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
dont limit yourself to fender, check out G&L teles. or if you want to up your budget a bit more, try Nash guitars. honestly, the best guitars ive ever played.

and im sure you know this all ready, but its best just to get your hands on as many teles as you can. let your fingers be the judge.

+1. Nash guitars are made the way Fender wishes they could still make guitars. They're beautiful. And they're worn in so you'd like them.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

There is a Fender Japan model based on Keith Richards' "Macawbr" which would be perfect for you.

-Ash body
-Humbucker in the neck (based on a Gibson PAF)
-All six strings are included
- retails for around $1100

You'll have to check ebay (where they pop up from time to time) or order from Ishibashi.

Also, the CIJ Richie Kotzen Tele would be a good bet. They're a little more expensive that the Keef model.
Quote by bobneaves
So with the noiseless pickups, do you feel that you loose any of the classic tele sound? I've read a few reviews that say yes, you do loose some. I've also read other reviews that say you don't, and the nosieless pickups are great.

How do you like the Tele Deluxe neck? It's a little bit slimmer, right?

Don't worry about...
Yes, there's a slight bit of snap lost, but I prefer that.
Sort of "tames" the shrilliness some Teles have.
It'll make for an easier transition from a Gibson, too!
We're talking a stage guitar here, usability and practicality trump "absolute-perfection".
While it lacks the slightest bit of shimmer and biting twang of some other pickup configurations, it will get you 99.9% of the way there in a far more versatile and stable package.
The last thing an audience is going to want is shrill and biting high-end, coupled with a constant static-y buzz!
Quote by colin617
There is a Fender Japan model based on Keith Richards' "Macawbr" which would be perfect for you.

-Ash body
-Humbucker in the neck (based on a Gibson PAF)
-All six strings are included
- retails for around $1100

You'll have to check ebay (where they pop up from time to time) or order from Ishibashi.

Also, the CIJ Richie Kotzen Tele would be a good bet. They're a little more expensive that the Keef model.

i lol'd

it's not the same exactly, but look at the thinline tele ? it's got humbuckers, it's a bit original since it's semi-hollow, cool guitar overall, a bit under your price range though (around 8-900)
Or you could just do the right thing and get a Nash tele.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

One thing I recommend before you but a fender is to try a few heavy bends on it. I always find myself falling of the neck

But if you like em then great, go for it.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker