Yeah...... im a bass noob but..... i've been playin guitar for a while. I was always spoiled as a kid so i never had to worry about head-cab matching (always had half-stack ). I decided to pick up bass but, i dont wanna spend $$$ on a half-stack and just wanna use my 100W solid state head. is this possible? if so, what kinda cab should i purchase? i will be gigging with it soon.
It will work with a bass cab, but it probably won't sound too great

EDIT: and 100w probably won't be enough anyway
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Nov 24, 2009,
thanks bro. yeah im just gonna use the head temporarily till i can save up some cashmoney. cuz god knows there will be lk little to no low-ends comin outta that cab haha
Well I hope it goes well for you until you can get some more money
Looking on the bright side, I love bass speakers with guitar too, so that would be worth experimenting with
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Quote by Casketcreep
100 watt tube?
That's an entirely different story.

he said solid state
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/making_it_loud.html

might help a little. It will be fine, 100W is marginal for bass but will do for a while and the bass won't damage your amp but would not be safe for guitar speakers so you have the right idea. The tone controls won't be optimised for bass obviously but bass can sound remarkably good with everything set flat.

If your amp has an effects input or line input you could use a modelling effects unit like a Pod.
Do not.

Let me rephrase that...DO NOT! Play a bass through a guitar amp for two reasons.

The first being that it will sound horrible.

The second being that the bass will eventually destroy the amp. The harmonics and overtones produced by a bass are much different than that of a guitar. The signal is much too rough on the amp. A guitar works through a bass amp fine because a bass amp can very easily handle the overtones produced by a guitar.

Just go get a bass combo amp. A 15 Watt Fender Rumble 15 is about $130. If you're spoiled then it shouldn't be a problem.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
As he said through a bass cab^, it best to read before commenting.
And youre wrong the amp is fine, its guitar speakers not being able to move far enough that destroy the speakers. The amp will be fine.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Like fatgoogle said you will not damage a guitar amp with a bass. Electricity is electricty, no matter what instrument produces it its all the same. This applies to pedals and everything else electrical.

That being said it will most likely sound like ass. If you were spoiled with good gear couldnt you pick up a used bass head for cheap? just check ebay theres loads of cheap heads there that re actual bass heads.
Rickenbacker 4003
Carvin 210 Neo
Ampeg V4BH
Quote by bluntfoot
Like fatgoogle said you will not damage a guitar amp with a bass. Electricity is electricty, no matter what instrument produces it its all the same. This applies to pedals and everything else electrical.

That being said it will most likely sound like ass. If you were spoiled with good gear couldnt you pick up a used bass head for cheap? just check ebay theres loads of cheap heads there that re actual bass heads.

this.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Sorry, my bad, I thought it was the electonics that would be damaged, not the speakers.

However, the "It will sound awful" statement still stays true.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees