Ive seen a few bands recently who look like theyre running a amp head through a combo rather than just a cab.

Am I just missing something or do people do this? and if they do then why?
You can do it if the head and the combo have fx loop. Connect the head to the combo through the fx out from the head into the fx in from the combo...
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
Quote by Edgecrsuher
You can do it if the head and the combo have fx loop. Connect the head to the combo through the fx out from the head into the fx in from the combo...

No. DON'T do this unless you have a proper load connected to the head (assuming the head is a tube amp).

Are you sure these people aren't using 2x12 cabs?

The other possibility is that the "cab" in the combo connects to the "head" of the combo with a 1/4" lead or they have disconnect the speakers that where wired into the combo and have connected them to a 1/4" jack.
I'm just going off being able to see peoples get on stage and seeing a combo amp and a head but not a cab. Was just woundering what might be going on there
Quote by i_am_metalhead
...or they have disconnect the speakers that where wired into the combo and have connected them to a 1/4" jack.

Most likely this.

I've done it occasionally when I don't have a 1x12 handy, but want to run a head without lugging around a 4x12.

Example: I've run my MkIII head into my Twin Reverb, by disconnecting the speakers on the TR and plugging them into the MkIII.
Twin Reverb amp is left OFF.