hi ive recently been looking for a fuzz pedal and the fuzz face caught my eye, the only thing is that its so damn expensive, i was wondering is there a cheaper aternative that you can still get that vintage tone with?
Wanna know what gear i have? check my profile
Black Beauty Owners Group
Muddy Waters invented electricity

Paul Kossoff = Genius
Quote by skatinpunk
+574568745360457868478457650043857506850

+1

(but seriously, big muff go go)
the problem with the big muff is that it's nothing like a fuzz face - try before you buy, would be my advice.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Check out the Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz, I think it's vintage-voiced and I know it's cheap!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
A Big Muff is nothing like a fuzz face. I built my fuzz face from the GGG kit. I basically built a Fulltone 69 clone and I love it.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Build your own and get your parts yourself or go BYOC or GGG. The Dunlop Reissues don't sound great, but the enclosure is nice.

Another alternative would be the Roger Mayer pedals. I have a Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz and it's amazing.

A Big Muff wont give you a nice vintage tone, they're more of a sort of fuzzy distortion and are really mid scooped.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Last edited by rhcp_freak at Nov 25, 2009,
Why is everyone suggesting a big muff when he wants a fuzz face, they aren't even remotely similar. and like other people said, the only way you will get the fuzz face on the cheap will be to build it, or just save up and buy an analoguman clone and love it.
loads of people make clones of the fuzz face. Heck, if you can solder yourself, it has about 8 components, there are schematics freely available online.

Is the dunlop one worth it?

Are 8 components which cost about 20p each worth £200?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
loads of people make clones of the fuzz face. Heck, if you can solder yourself, it has about 8 components, there are schematics freely available online.

Is the dunlop one worth it?

Are 8 components which cost about 20p each worth £200?

Exactly. I probably overpaid a bit since I bought a kit, and I built a Fulltone '69 clone for around or under $100. It's almost stupid to buy a fuzz face.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
Boo!!! Cheaping out on fuzzes FTL!!!!!!!!!!!!

come on, there's cheaping out and cheaping out. I'm not recommending he buy a behringer or something, i'm recommending he get something which is likely as good as, if not better than, the dunlop for less money. Heck, from what i hear the dunlop ones don't even use the right circuit, but i could be wrong on that.

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Exactly. I probably overpaid a bit since I bought a kit, and I built a Fulltone '69 clone for around or under $100. It's almost stupid to buy a fuzz face.

that made by mike dude makes a fuzz face style pedal for about £50, I think. I haven't tried them, but if you don't want to make one yourself, it'd be worth a look.

http://www.madebymike.co.uk/fuzzface.shtml

£55, plus whatever postage is.

there are probably a bunch of other guys making similar pedals for a similar price, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 25, 2009,
Quote by Dave_Mc
come on, there's cheaping out and cheaping out. I'm not recommending he buy a behringer or something, i'm recommending he get something which is likely as good as, if not better than, the dunlop for less money. Heck, from what i hear the dunlop ones don't even use the right circuit, but i could be wrong on that.

No, that's not what I meant! I meant he said that the regular Dunlop Fuzz is too expensive for him. If that's how much you're willing to spend, then it seem's like he's willing to compromise what he wants for tone for money. I didn't mean that the Dunlop was a value for the money. But, it's only like, $130 USD. Not saying to buy a $500 vintage fuzz either, just saying to buy what he likes. Unless he COMPLETELY can't afford anything else, then I can understand...

ah, no worries.

I should add, though, that it's nowhere near that cheap in the UK. I think it's about £200 here (over $300) (the hendrix one, anyway).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i think a russian big muff may be a good compromise. or build your own
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

how much would i be looking at for a fuzz face clone kit? is it worth saving up for a proper fuzz face?

Paul Kossoff = Genius
^The kits are arguably better than the Dunlops, from what I've heard. I'd look at the GGG kit and go from there.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
where would i find the GGG kit? and yeah nightraven i was given the amp by a freind of my dads it has a real nice sound

Paul Kossoff = Genius
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99

The GGG kit can be overwhelming, with all those options. I'd go with the most basic one if you haven't done any pedal building before, and maybe build it up from there.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
to get a comparison of what one versus the other sounds like, listen to a ton of clips. There's enough out there that are good enough to give you a decent comparison. I should know since that's all I do online sometimes, just listen to fuzzes since I love them but haven't picked on for myself yet
Quote by TNfootballfan62
The GGG kit can be overwhelming, with all those options. I'd go with the most basic one if you haven't done any pedal building before, and maybe build it up from there.

there is the easy face option
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

^Yeah, that's what the easy option was called. That would be a good place to start.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by Dave_Mc

It's the right circuit, atleast in the Hendrix one that I opened up. It just uses crappy transistors that are apparently sometimes matched sometimes not. The Hendrix one actually sounds decent but for the money no ****ing way I'd ever buy one. The standards have always sounded like shit to me. TS, listen to everyone else and build one. Unless you have no idea how to solder, there's no way you can **** it up that bad.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
It's the right circuit, atleast in the Hendrix one that I opened up. It just uses crappy transistors that are apparently sometimes matched sometimes not. The Hendrix one actually sounds decent but for the money no ****ing way I'd ever buy one. The standards have always sounded like shit to me. TS, listen to everyone else and build one. Unless you have no idea how to solder, there's no way you can **** it up that bad.

wow, that's fairly poor. For £179 (about $300), i'd want matched transistors. From all i've read, they don't sound good unless they're matched (of course, you could just be lucky with unmatched ones if they just happened to match, but that's a pretty big risk).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?