Page 1 of 2
So a month ago, i was awake at 3 am, browsing the net, until i hear a car getting broken into right on my street. The alarm goes off, two people ride off on bikes and I look out the window. As they've left, i rush outside to check if it was my car they broke into, but it was the one right next to mine. I then call the police, feel satisfied with myself etc and go to sleep.

Now, a month or so later, I was thinking whether it was a right thing to do? Is it right to report any crime that isn't directly our business? I mean, for some people, crime can be the only way to survive. You never really know who is committing the crime and what motive that person has.

What if I reported someone who was laid off work because of the economy and tried to feed his 5+ children and pay the rent and was forced to break into someone's car or face starvation/eviction (Or whatever else)?

What if I just ruined their family? I would never know. And after all, it wasn't really my business.

So let's debate.
There's also the chance that the car belonged to an old man who could barely walk/a broke college kid who needs it to get to school/a man who uses it to drive to work to barely pay for food for his five kids/etc.

Guess you just need to know your neighbors better.
"What ifs" can go on forever, and hindsight is always 20/20. You did the right thing.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by archangels666
There's also the chance that the car belonged to an old man who could barely walk/a broke college kid who needs it to get to school/a man who uses it to drive to work to barely pay for food for his five kids/etc.

Guess you just need to know your neighbors better.

Impossible, you know, I live in a district of 9-15 floor apartment buildings. Still, that person had insurance (It's compulsory for people to have insurance for new cars here), and whatever was damaged was replaced free of charge.
Quote by Dreadnought
"What ifs" can go on forever, and hindsight is always 20/20. You did the right thing.

What if, looking back, it's all a bit fuzzy?
I'd like to think if someone broke into my car it would get reported. You did the right thing.

Although studies show people often ignore alarms, even cries of "help, oh god he's killing me" go ignored. I don't remember the study or statistics but that really happened, after about an hour of constant screams one person from a huge block of flats of people who could hear the screams for help bothered to phone the police. By which time the attacker had obviously killed her and got away.

People suck.
So what you are saying is that crime is ok for some people, but not for others? We live in a society, society needs rules, to make society successful those rules need to be adhered to. I don't recall ever hearing about a rule that makes somepeople immune to the law (as a general rule).

Therefore, it's a crime. Report it. I don't think you'd be as leniant if it was your car, house, mother, they were breaking into; no matter how many kids they had to feed.
Last edited by Myshadow46_2 at Nov 24, 2009,
They had bikes. They didn't need the car.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Well the bottom line for me is this: Anyone breaks into my car and I catch them, their not gonna see daylight for a while.
It's party time!
Quote by MightyAl
What if, looking back, it's all a bit fuzzy?

But what if he's speaking of mutually assured destruction?
Either way, the police will never even bother looking for them. So you reporting it doesn't make one different.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by BenRaah

HA!
Nice story.. tell it to readers digest!
GEAR
________

Jackson RR3 w/ Dimebucker
Epiphone G400 Extreme
Marshall Mg30 Dfx (It does the job),
Kelry Sinister Strings, 10 - 52's
Dunlop Jazz III's or Dunlop purple 2.00 tortex(sharpened).
Quote by BenRaah

Nice story, tell it to readers Digest!

EDIT:^Damn you.
Oh, you wouldn't want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise, they wouldn't wanna watch
Quote by Bertallica
Either way, the police will never even bother looking for them. So you reporting it doesn't make one different.

Even if they do nothing, it's needed for statistics... That file may get pulled up later when more thefts happen. It's important to report EVERY crime whether it's directly related to you or not.
Quote by JDawg
Even if they do nothing, it's needed for statistics... That file may get pulled up later when more thefts happen. It's important to report EVERY crime whether it's directly related to you or not.

What good are the statistics if no one ever does anything about it?

As a matter of fact they probably already have the statistics to support that they are most likely not going to catch robbers so they will not waste the time or man power to pursue said criminal(s).
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
I personally would have shot one of the two man, and I would let the other one put his teeth on the curb and kick. But that is just me.

On a more serious note: you did the right thing. But all of them didn't matter.
If someone has a family he has to feed you are a jackass. But most of the time it isn't.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by i_killed_bill
My dad's unemployed. TS, can my dad rob you?

Well, he can't rob me, but he can put my car on four bricks and take everything valuable, as insurance will refund it for me.

Although, I think i see it clearly now. A crime is a crime and whoever went on that path should be aware or the risks and consequences incolved.
Last edited by zwound at Nov 24, 2009,
To be fair if you don't know the details, innocent person getting robbed should get the high ground over criminal robbing.

If you know both the victim and the suspect you can't really say "The crime was just".

Hell even if it's a guy struggling due to being laid off, there are things possible to do before crime.
Quote by JDawg

So you're saying I should turn myself in?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
So you're saying I should turn myself in?

Yes, good luck with that!
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Yes, good luck with that!

Dammit I almost got away with it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
Dammit I almost got away with it.

With what? Raping that UG'er last night?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Well, my opinion on this, which the majority of ya'll wont agree with, is that its your responsibility to report any crime you see happening. One, if you dont its obstruction of justice, and two, its just the morally right thing to do. If you saw someone get mugged for their money would you report it. Of course you would!

Being poor and not having enough money to feed your family is no excuse to commit crimes, they know better and know the conquences of it. Plus theres plenty of charitys and government bailouts and shit like that to keep that from happening.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Well, my opinion on this, which the majority of ya'll wont agree with, is that its your responsibility to report any crime you see happening. One, if you dont its obstruction of justice, and two, its just the morally right thing to do. If you saw someone get mugged for their money would you report it. Of course you would!

Being poor and not having enough money to feed your family is no excuse to commit crimes, they know better and know the conquences of it. Plus theres plenty of charitys and government bailouts and shit like that to keep that from happening.

Is robin hood a good person?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I'd like to think if someone broke into my car it would get reported. You did the right thing.

Although studies show people often ignore alarms, even cries of "help, oh god he's killing me" go ignored. I don't remember the study or statistics but that really happened, after about an hour of constant screams one person from a huge block of flats of people who could hear the screams for help bothered to phone the police. By which time the attacker had obviously killed her and got away.

People suck.

Speaking of that, I heard that you should always cry "Fire!" instead of "help I'm being killed!" or something similar. People always respond to fire, but never to violence. Maybe it's fear of having to fight somebody else in order to save this victim, whereas with fire, there are no bad guys to fight off.

Humanity is pretty awful.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by ethan_hanus
What does Robin Hood have to do with modern day muggings? Robin Hood didnt stab his victem after he robbed them, now did he.

No, he shot them with arrows first.
Quote by ethan_hanus
What does Robin Hood have to do with modern day muggings? Robin Hood didnt stab his victem after he robbed them, now did he.

If a father who has to feed his kids, steals food and money. I think that is the same as robin hood stealing money from the rich to give to the poor. We are not talking about people stabbing eachother.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Myshadow46_2
So what you are saying is that crime is ok for some people, but not for others? We live in a society, society needs rules, to make society successful those rules need to be adhered to. I don't recall ever hearing about a rule that makes somepeople immune to the law (as a general rule).

Therefore, it's a crime. Report it. I don't think you'd be as leniant if it was your car, house, mother, they were breaking into; no matter how many kids they had to feed.

I agree. Crime is crime whether it's to help a person or not.
So what TS is trying to do is justify crime, just think if it was your car.
Quote by Neo Evil11
If a father who has to feed his kids, steals food and money. I think that is the same as robin hood stealing money from the rich to give to the poor. We are not talking about people stabbing eachother.

Yeah, but Robin Hood has nothing to do with this argument. Were talking about is stealing ok if your starving. I mean here in America, you cant really starve unless your a complete moron, idk about anywhere else.
Page 1 of 2