I'm helping my friend choose between these two(?) Schecter Guitars:
(1) guitar is the one you find at Guitar Center and Muscian's Friend: "Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR Electric Guitar," it costs $800 (sometimes $900), and has a lightning bolt inlay on the 12th fret.
(2) guitar this local shop is selling one looks exactly like the above guitar, except it's called the: "Schecter Diamond Series C-1 FR Electric Guitar," it's $450, and has dots instead of a lightning bolt. (This is the one she wants to get.) I don't have a link or picture of it, I'd have to go take one if you want to see it.

The shop proprietor shows us the price difference in a guitar center catalog, and tells us this story about why his guitars are cheaper, plus I knew about something like his story before, so there's a good chance it's true. (I can tell you the reason if you want)

Even though I'd normally say "SOMETHING'S SUPER FISHY HERE!!!" here's the problem:
If the Schecter Diamond Series C-1 FR is a different guitar, why isn't on guitar center's website?
If it is, it could be the Schecter Guitar Research C-1 FR ATX ($900), but not only did it say "Diamond Series" on the guitar, the "Research C-1" has a lightning bolt at the 12th fret instead of dots.

Well, if you're still with me after all that, is my friend Shel about to get cheated by this shop guy, or is the guy mistaken himself?
And if you know the difference, which guitar is better?
I've down the groundwork and online work and I'm almost driving myself crazy.
Originally Posted by Bovaiveu:

This is my guitar. There are not many like it, and this one is mine. My guitar is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. Me without my guitar, is useless. Need I say more?
Two different models.

C-1 FR

-Bolt on neck
-Duncan designed hb-105 active pickups
-Licensed FR bridge

Blackjack ATX FR

-Neck thru construction
-Seymour Duncan USA blackout active pickups
-Original floyd rose bridge

The ATX is a lot better,thus the price difference.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

! BLACKJACK BLACKJACK BLACKJACK !
The C-1 FR is a different and much lower quality instrument. And it's not on GC's website because it's discontinued. Here are the differences:
1. Construction and quality
The C-1 Blackjack ATX FR has a satin matte finish - which speeds up the neck immensely - and an ORIGINAL floyd rose tremolo. See below for difference.
The C-1 FR has a glossy finish - which slows down the neck a bit - and a LICENSED floyd rose tremolo. This is very important. The "ORIGINAL" floyd rose will not go out of tune EVER and is manufactured using extremely durable metal in order to maintain tuning stability for the full life of the bridge. The ORIGINAL floyd is usually made by a company in Germany called Schaller, which also makes their own version. However - and this is the important bit - THE LICENSED FLOYD ROSE TREMOLOS ARE CRAP. I've actually played the C-1 FR, and if you use the whammy half as much as I do there's no way to keep it in tune. The licensed tremolos are made from much lower quality metal to save on costs, and as such go out of tune more easily and don't last as long. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwGcY6T4xHc&feature=PlayList&p=BF7FDD77B2FDE67E&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=14 for details.

2. Pickups
The C-1 FR has Duncan Designed HB-105 pickups. These are designed to modified Seymour Duncan specifications but built by a company in Korea. The HB-105's also tend to sound fairly muddy or harsh and have pretty bad clean, even for active pickups. Essentially, they're low-quality ripoffs of the pickups in the ATX.
The C-1 Blackjack ATX FR has Seymour Duncan Blackouts. These are the holy grails of the active world. They have an incredible amount of output without sacrificing tone - something the HB-105's utterly fail to accomplish.

SHORT VERSION- BUY THE F***ING BLACKJACK ALREADY AND DON'T EVER GO BACK TO THAT OTHER STORE!

EDIT: The Diamond Series is Schecter's name for all of their non-custom guitars. If you take a close look at the headstock on the blackjack, it will in fact say diamond series.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Last edited by FrustratedRocka at Nov 24, 2009,
Quote by FrustratedRocka

The C-1 Blackjack ATX FR has Seymour Duncan Blackouts. These are the holy grails of the active world.

I thought the Holy Grails of the Active World is the EMG81 and EMG 85 combo?
Like already said, the C-1 FR is a low quality piece of crap compared to the ATX
Dude... if your friend does have the cash... get the f**king blackjack!!!!
I mean... the price is two times more than the C-1 FR, BUT IT'S WORTH IT!!!
Seriously, especially because of the Seymour Duncan Blackouts and the Original Floyd... You can't go wrong buying that!!!
Quote by nemesis_911
I thought the Holy Grails of the Active World is the EMG81 and EMG 85 combo?

95 percent of people I've talked to prefer Blackouts. I don't even like actives in general, and I don't mind the blackouts. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE EMG's
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
^^^^ indeed, i played emgs for awhile, its all we had on the active side, then i went back to passive p/u s then i tried the blackouts and man they are so smooth in the mids, less crackle and mud, i will say i want to try the EMG X series though, but as for the schecters, the c1 fr is a cheaper guitar, its a decent guitar dont get me wrong, but the blackjack atx series blows it away
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by Pr0gNut
Two different models.

C-1 FR

-Bolt on neck
-Duncan designed hb-105 active pickups
-Licensed FR bridge

Blackjack ATX FR

-set neck with ultra access construction
-Seymour Duncan USA blackout active pickups
-Original floyd rose bridge

The ATX is a lot better,thus the price difference.

close, but fixed.

ATX all day. they're great guitars while the regular C-1's are pretty average...
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
*Whistles* Thanks so much, especially Pr0gNut and FrustratedRocka. Shelby says she'll probably scrape together the cash to get a Blackjack, even though she doesn't play that well (ahaha!). I bet the poor guy at the store was tricked too (He's a drummer so he doesn't know much about guitars)...Well, at least I'll give him the benefit of the doubt...but still not buy guitars from him XD

Thanks again, you guys saved my hemorrhaging brains!!
Originally Posted by Bovaiveu:

This is my guitar. There are not many like it, and this one is mine. My guitar is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. Me without my guitar, is useless. Need I say more?