Hey, firstly I'd like to say sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section but I'm new to this website to apologies yeah!

Anyways all I really wanted to ask was there seems to be some really amazing guitarists on this site and was hoping to seek some advice on being self-taught.

I've had my guitar for about a year and a half now but haven't really bothered much with it, like maybe a few riffs like Mama Kin etc, easy stuff.

So any recommendations on going about being self-taught? Like where should I begin? I ask as I'm not a complete beginner (but not exactly Slash!) and would really just like to know how people on this forum started and maybe I can learn because I'd really like to play guitar seriously now rather than the odd toy about on some basic riffs!

Thanks!

(Btw I am into sort of Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith and similar bands and am currently playing an Epiphone Les Paul 100 if it matters at all!)
Learn a lot of songs to get an idea of what other guitarists play and how you can use that in developing your own style.

Take things slow; make a profound effort to play things correctly and fluently.

Practice extensively on technique. Watch videos on YouTube where guitarists explain how to do the more difficult licks.

Constantly challenge yourself; do not become comfortable with your playing unless you really are that good. Tackle new obstacles all the time.
I've been playing for 7 years, completely self taught. Just to start off I would recommend learning chords and scales (major, minor, pentatonic, and some chromatic to start...there's a shit ton of scales). Build finger strength and control, and practice with a bunch of songs so you can get the feel of different strum patterns.

I did the aforementioned combined with learning songs I liked via tabs and regular music (which I can read. If you can't, it's not a biggie). Learning a variety of tunes that I liked both gave me motivation to learn new techniques and practice because I I felt cool being able to play the songs haha. There are a lot of good online resources for various techniques and tips for specific genres. Just find what you like and run with it. but keep at it. The talent doesn't just manifest itself =]

Hope this helps a little bit,
~Nick
(btw this is my music if you want to check it out www.myspace.com/nickmarcone)
Oh! And most importantly... play guitar because you enjoy it, not because you see it as forced labor. There's virtually no point in wasting your time doing something you don't even see worthwile.
Cool thnx 4 the tips! Really speedy responses I can see why people like this site :P
Yeah I'll check out some scales, arpeggios etc, do u recommend any god sources? Does ultimate guitar also do that sort of thing too?

Once again thnx! I rly do like guitar and i really want to start getting serious about it :P! Thanks
Quote by Hebbamundo
Cool thnx 4 the tips! Really speedy responses I can see why people like this site :P
Yeah I'll check out some scales, arpeggios etc, do u recommend any god sources? Does ultimate guitar also do that sort of thing too?

Once again thnx! I rly do like guitar and i really want to start getting serious about it :P! Thanks

Check out the "lessons" section of the site located at the top where "guitar tabs", "updates" and all those things are at.
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php

Begin here, learn some scales (major pentatonic, minor pentatonic, major scale, minor scale)
[img]http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/10/24/633604588429325324-annoyance.jpg[/img]

Billy Mays is definitely gonna give me nightmares now.

Quote by xxGUITARZER0xx
honestly no

but i just did the pallet town theme song cause someone wanted that

Quote by speakers
all of the above
So any recommendations on going about being self-taught? Like where should I begin? I ask as I'm not a complete beginner (but not exactly Slash!) and would really just like to know how people on this forum started and maybe I can learn because I'd really like to play guitar seriously now rather than the odd toy about on some basic riffs!

Dude, Just play !!! learn the scales and practice them but the best way to learn is to develop an ear, learn the scales and know what key the songs in. Pick out a few songs, get the tab or music sheets, listen to them and try to emulate what you hear. Some people can pick up a guitar and play within a matter of hours while others it takes years.. doesn't matter though, as long as you're having fun & enjoying what you play then it will all come together at some point. Practice practice practice as well as getting out and jamming with other players. Its amazing how much you can pick up from others even in an impromptu session.
There are some links in my signature that may help with theory and technique. There is a lot there though, so don't let it put you off. There are different sorts of players. Some just like to get home from work and strum a few chords, some want to shred in front of 90,000 people at wembley stadium, some just want to play, some want to understand what they are playing. etc. Therefore, if you are serious about learning the guitar, it is helpful to have some goals. These can (and will) change over time but they give you a little bit of focus. I'd recommend learning some theory, but you don't need to jump in straight away, get some tabs and try and learn some songs that you like, then you can try and learn a bit of theory as you go along if that is something you are interested in. In the end, so long as you are getting what you want from the instrument then you are doing fine. As a final note, don't rush yourself, learn at your own pace and I think you'll find that the rewards are greater.
Find a good practice schedule and set goals for yourself. One of the downfalls of teaching yourself is you don't have anyone guiding your practice, setting goals for you or holding you accountable for reaching those goals.

Don't just pick up the guitar occassionally and wonder what you're going to play or practice. Have a plan.

Also - since you don't have a teacher to listen to how you're playing and give you feedback, you need to be your own critic. Record yourself during practice and listen to how you sound - then concentrate on fixing any weaknesses you find. This will do wonders for you're technique and ear development.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Last edited by Guitartist at Nov 25, 2009,