Basically I have alittle extra money and I'm looking at a MiM Stratocaster but I was wondering if I needed it? I already have a Tele and now I'm wonder is there really a difference? Like what is the real difference? I know this sounds dumb but what styles would they be better suited for?

EDIT: My Telecaster is a SS and the Strat would be a SSS

Thanks in advance.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Last edited by unicornfist at Nov 24, 2009,
There is a rather large difference. Tele has more twang, a tele is great for country, some pop-rock, indie, and southern rock with an emphasis on southern. A strat has a little less twang and a little more bite, better for classic rock, modern rock, other pop-rock, and southern rock without the emphasis on southern. But if I was you and really wanted a strat I would get a HSS to maximize the difference between the two, or buy a guitar thats different instead, or better yet, save up and get something nice later on.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
u can get a few more tones out of a strat in the 2 and 4 positions on the 5 way switch. u could always get one, and if u find they are too similar, either put some humbucker rails in one, or just sell whichever one u dont like.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
There's definitely a huge difference. The strat is much more 'glassy' sounding, and the tele can be a bit more raw. Also, the neck position is much clearer on the strat, it can be a bit muddy on my tele. I'd recommend getting one, see how you like it, and if you're not into it then mod it or sell it off. If you make your decision in under 30 days, you can probably even get a full refund.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
the strat is for rock, and the tele is for folk applications
the stat has a faster neck, the single coil pickups hendrix used,
and the tele has more tone and better cleans

to me the most important thing when i buy an instrument is how does it feel in my hands and if i like the sound.
play the guitar, listen to it and see if it calls your soul man
strats don't have that treble ended twangy tone teles have.. I prefer a tele over a strat, but strats have good features that are worth investing in.

strats IMO have a very neutral tone ... not too low or high, great for cleans, easy guitar to record with. Plus you get a whammy bar to mess with. You can do anything with a strat. the 3 single coil pickups give you additional tone configs. however they're not as distinguishable as you would think. An Hss strat would give you a good lead tone, but i would just get an epiphone if a humbucker tone is what i wanted. I'd say get an SSS strat.
Quote by viento
the strat is for rock, and the tele is for folk applications
the stat has a faster neck, the single coil pickups hendrix used,
and the tele has more tone and better cleans

no.. necks arent 'fast'.. and you can use either guitar for anything.
and tele's dont have more tones.. and IMO strats have better cleans
If you give it a play and like it then I would buy it. It is good to have more than one guitar as sometimes you just fancy a change and switch to the other guitar(s) you have. The sound and the way they play is more down to how you set the guitar up and what Amp etc you play it through.
Teles more raw strat more smooth at least thats what I think when i hear them
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
IMO i prefer teles to strats, they have more bite, but the tone knob/volume knob will control this.

TBH i don't think theres much a strat can do that a tele can't, theyre very versatile, ignore this "made for country, southern rock, indie bullshit", granted it's great for that kinda stuff. But they're not limited to it, neck pups great for jazz/blues and smooth leads, bridge is great for chunky riffage and gritty leads. Stairway was done with a tele.

If you like your tele, stick with it and get something different, a semi hollow, something with buckers prehaps?
they're very different; that being said, they're in the same ballpark. there's not as big a difference as between, say, a strat and a les paul. it really depends on what you need. If all the tones you need are single coil tones (and especially some strat tones in there too), then get a strat. If you need humbucker tones too (or p90), then get something with those instead, as the tele should be able to do a (very rough) approximation of at least some of the strat tones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?