So i've been working on jazz and the like and i'm interested in the soloing and what not but i'd like some of you guys to recommend me some good jazzy chord progressions because i'm starting to write my own little jazz pieces and would like a firm base. I can think of few things but i'd really like to know some of the best ones and since you guys seem fairly knowledgable I was wondering if you could suggest some.

Thanks.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
ii V I is the standby. I vi ii V ("rhythm changes") are a big one too.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Nov 24, 2009,
^A I-iv-ii-V is "rhythm changes"

You'll be hard pressed to find a jazz song without some form of ii-V-I.

but dont take such a "simple" progression lightly, there is a lot to learn.

another one you should be aware of is the "bebop bridge", a series of Dominant 7th chords usually starting a major 3rd up from the tonic. the chord you start on would be the V of the next chord and that chord would be the V of the next one and so on until you, usually, get back the root chord.

it is also called a "V of V" progression, for obvious reasons.
Quote by MapOfYourHead
^A I-iv-ii-V is "rhythm changes"

You'll be hard pressed to find a jazz song without some form of ii-V-I.

but dont take such a "simple" progression lightly, there is a lot to learn.

another one you should be aware of is the "bebop bridge", a series of Dominant 7th chords usually starting a major 3rd up from the tonic. the chord you start on would be the V of the next chord and that chord would be the V of the next one and so on until you, usually, get back the root chord.

it is also called a "V of V" progression, for obvious reasons.

Yeah, typo. Fixed.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Ok thanks for the help, even if for some general information.

I've been doing Amin7////Gmin7//A#min7// which sounds pretty good and it's very easy to work with. I'm going to switch to the dominant somewhere in the middle of the song so I create a nice ABA pattern.

How does that sound?
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles