If I had a Marshall Jvm or a Mesa , or any high-gain amp, and used a top notch distortion pedal, would that be a stupid idea?
if you like how it sounds then not, its your gear man, do whatever you want, have fun!
I would sell the top-notch distortion pedal, and buy a top-notch OD pedal to boost the amp.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
it depends why ur doing it... if ur doing it just to get a different distortion sound once in a while...great. if ur doing it cause u dont like ur amps distortion and the pedal will be ur main source of distortion, look into getting a new amp.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
its stupid. why buy an amp with a top notch distortion only to use a top notch pedal. if it were me, id buy an amp with an amazing clean channel and use the pedal.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I use a tube screamer with just a little gain and drive for solos just to boost the pre amp a bit more and give me more sustain
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
I would sell the top-notch distortion pedal, and buy a top-notch OD pedal to boost the amp.

Yeah, I agree. I'd get an OD pedal. There would be nothing wrong with that.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
It's a great idea, since it will give you more sounds and your amp will be voiced perfectly to use high gain distortion with. No one amp does everything. Make sure to get what your amp can't do - if you get the Marshall maybe get the Dirty Bomb, if you get the Mesa get something like a Crunchbox or DLS.
Satriani uses/used some Keeley modified DS-1s with his amps, so why not?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
It's a great idea, since it will give you more sounds and your amp will be voiced perfectly to use high gain distortion with. No one amp does everything. Make sure to get what your amp can't do - if you get the Marshall maybe get the Dirty Bomb, if you get the Mesa get something like a Crunchbox or DLS.

*Looks at amp in own sig*
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Can't believe noones mentioned this before.

Cannibal Corpse with the Boss MT-2's. They sometimes run them through their Dual Rec's or whatever they run normally. It gives them an old school thrash kind of sound, iirc thats what they said. now thats not top notch, but it definitely gives a change of sound. It's not a stupid idea. If it works for what you want, then why ask if its stupid? Everyones opinion is different.

But for me, getting an amp with the od that YOU want is important. Find your signature sound. I found mine, and i've never been happier.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.