The way it sounds or the way it feels?

I recently came across this issue when buying a guitar. One sounded better, the other played easier. Opinions?
I hate my sig
For me, which plays easier. You can make a guitar sound better with new pickups, strings, with pedals and different amps. You can't really make the neck nicer to play, for example. Unless it's a bolt on. But still
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
the way it feels, you can always do something to make it sound different so it's sound at the time at which you buy it is sort of irrelevant in the long run

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by WtrPlyr
I'd buy the one that feels better. You'll enjoy playing it more.

Its like wrestling a grizzly bear that sounds good when you're attacking it or kicking a duck that doesn't sound so quacky.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
A rubber duck then!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by WtrPlyr
I'd buy the one that feels better. You'll enjoy playing it more.

What if the one that sounds better could be set up to play better? Then you wouldn't spend extra money on a guitar that plays well but needs new pickups, etc.

I don't know about everyone else, but the point of playing the guitar is the sound, I can get over a weird body shape or lower the action and set it up if needed.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
The real question is, are you a tone freak? and dnt forget if the one that sounds better has a hlf way decent action to it, you may very well be able to the action you want outta of it with a new set up from a proffesional tell him etc you want the strings closer the fret board or farther whichever you like also, changeing strings will def change the sound but also going to a lighter gauge will make things much easier to play so to answer your question in my opinion id give the one that sounds better a good try next time you can n see how bad the action really is but I'm a tone freak so dont take this all to heart good luck man.
As long as it didn't play like a series of razor blades covered in lemon and salt, the one that sounds better. I'm not too picky a lot of the time with that element of things.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Bertallica
What if the one that sounds better could be set up to play better? Then you wouldn't spend extra money on a guitar that plays well but needs new pickups, etc.

I don't know about everyone else, but the point of playing the guitar is the sound, I can get over a weird body shape or lower the action and set it up if needed.

What if it's the neck size? Or neck heel? Or a number of things you can't alter that will limit your ability to actualy play the guitar. No point having a guitar that sounds amazing if you can't play to the best of your ability on it
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Feel, im talking about neck feel, shape finish, and how comfortable the body is. As long as it's made from decent wood, pickups/hardware can be changed to effect the sound.
Good opinions guys!

My choice was between a PRS SE Custom (felt better) or a used Epiphone Les Paul Custom (sounded better). Neither one sounded or played bad, just not as good as the other. In the end I went with the LP and I have 30 day to decide whether to keep it.
I hate my sig
Since more than 70% of the tone comes from the amp, it's more important that it plays better.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Since more than 70% of the tone comes from the amp, it's more important that it plays better.

I don't understand how people can break it down to percentages like that. Tone comes from your amp and guitar. Sure maybe the amp makes more of a difference, but the guitar definately has a big part in making up your sound
I hate my sig
Playing guitar is all about adapting anyways. Is there a person playing guitar who didn't have to adapt at some point for stretches, muscle memory, etc? That being said, the tone is more important for me. If you can't play a particular guitar well, its because you haven't adapted to it. That or you just really suck.
Quote by SomeBlueKind
Playing guitar is all about adapting anyways. Is there a person playing guitar who didn't have to adapt at some point for stretches, muscle memory, etc? That being said, the tone is more important for me. If you can't play a particular guitar well, its because you haven't adapted to it. That or you just really suck.

That's how I feel. I think the PRS was just more similar to my other guitar so I felt more....used to it? Only thing I just can't play are some of the the ESPs with the volume knob right next to the bridge. It just gets in the way
I hate my sig
both. i'm not going to buy a guitar which sounds amazing but which i can't play, nor am i going to buy a guitar which plays like butter but which sounds like ass. having something which is "very good" in both criteria is more important, to me, than having the absolute best in one if it's at the complete expense of the other.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by pigeonmafia
What if it's the neck size? Or neck heel? Or a number of things you can't alter that will limit your ability to actualy play the guitar. No point having a guitar that sounds amazing if you can't play to the best of your ability on it

You'll adapt.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
comfort for me. i've owned tons of awesome sounding guitars, but the wrong neck profile, or an uncomfortable body (my wolfgang had a weird neck to me, my les paul was uncomfortable as crap sitting down) and they had to go. both sounded great, but if you avoid playing it what good is it?
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by pigeonmafia

That's why I'm selling my Strat for another Ibanez. Tone is subjective. If you have a good amp for your music style and a good guitar with suitable pickups. You will sound good. It may not be the tone you're hearing in your head or the exact tone you're searching for, but it'll be good. No one will be saying that your tone sucks.

I don't agree with the people who say you can adapt to the way a guitar feels because you don't have to. I have a Strat and an RG, but I can't play the Strat like I play the RG. Can I practice with the Strat more to so that I can play at the same level I'm currently playing at on the RG? Yes, but I'm also constantly improving on the RG so the level keeps getting raised. The RG will always be a step ahead until I decide that I'm done improving. Why should I work harder to play a guitar when there's another one that takes less effort? Guitarists and manufacturers have been trying to make the most playable guitars for a while. Just look at Yngwie's scalloped fretboard or Zakk Wylde's sanded neck. There's nothing wrong with going for playability. Some companies pride themselves on playable guitars so there's nothing wrong with taking advantage of modern innovation.
neither, both are necessary criteria.

That being said, judging sound can be difficult. I've heard some guitars that sounded rotten with one set of pickups but amazing with a different set. But at the same time I wouldn't bank on pickup changes making a bad sounding guitar good either. I know a guy who had a Gibson R8 that he just never liked the sound of but played amazing, bought it thinking he could just change the pickups and went through several different sets before deciding that the guitar itself was just a dud as far as tone goes and sold it off and bought a different one that sounded good and played good.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 24, 2009,