Hi. In my guitar lessons I've recently been learning the song In My Life by The Beatles. I know that song doesn't have much of a solo but what my teacher suggested we try and do is make our own solo but in a more rock-ish style.
The chords I need to try and build a solo around are as follows. E,D,A,Dm and F#m. Preferably higher up the fret board, maybe say near the 12th fret kinda thing. I'm having trouble coming up with different licks that fit together or suit the style I want.

Thanks in advance.
remember kids, you can't spell bass without ass

RIP Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

Quote by _bacon_

Also, I would tap Helena Bonham Carter like a Van Halen solo.
If you can find the roots of the chords around the neck, you can used the CAGED system to build chords off them. For example:

E : [x 7 6 4 5 4] [x 7 9 9 9 7] [12 11 9 9 12 12] [0 2 2 1 0 0] [x x 2 4 5 4]

Notice that the chord shapes are the same as the open versions of (respectively): C A G E and D.
use the Am pentatonic scale, Em pentatonic scale, and maybe even a Dm pentatonic scale or a F#m pentatonic scale!
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass
Peavey VYPYR30 with Sanpera I footswitch
Jay Turser Acoustic Electric
Paul Reed Smith (PRS) Custom SE 24 Black Cherry

www.myspace.com/12goodomens
You can try picking note out of the pentatonic scale in the 17th position or the 9th. Just anything along the lines of:

e|--------------------------------------------17-20|-------------------------------------9-12-----------
B|------------------------------------17-20--------|-----------------------------10-12-----------------
G|---------------------------17-19-----------------|----------------------9-11--------------------------
D|------------------17-19--------------------------|---------------9-11---------------------------------
A|----------17-19----------------------------------|--------9-12----------------------------------------
E|-17-20-------------------------------------------|-9-12-----------------------------------------------

I could be completely wrong, I never took lessons but it sounds alright to my ear. The scale for the 9th is different because it's not in the key of D flat but the scale for A (17) goes pretty good. Just add some bends and hammer-ons, it'll sound golden.
No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn. - Jim Morrison
This song is in A major, so the A major scale will work. The tricky part is when the chords go from D major to D minor. The way the Beatles handled Dm is to use chord tones over it, so it's primarily A major with chord tones played over the Dm. Not sure if you want to do it that way, or if you have your own ideas.
I dunno, I think the electric piano solo in that song is pretty rockin'...I'd just transcribe that and use it as a base.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com