Ok so I play a Laney LC15 which is supposed to have pretty good cleans, but it has the stock tubes that I've been told to throw away. I use a pedal to get distortion and what I'd like to know is how much difference better tubes (tung-sol's for example) would make to my tone as I'm not really gonna drive these tubes. Thanks!
» Ibanez SZ520 + JB/Jazz
» Rocktron Rampage
» Vox ToneLab SE
» Laney LC15
Quote by ahsoo
Ok so I play a Laney LC15 which is supposed to have pretty good cleans, but it has the stock tubes that I've been told to throw away. I use a pedal to get distortion and what I'd like to know is how much difference better tubes (tung-sol's for example) would make to my tone. Thanks!

If you're not a big tone nut you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference from new tubes to other new tubes. However I'm guessing your LC15 has somewhat used tubes in it, so if they are going out there will be a big improvement.

So are you replacing them because they're old or because you've heard it will sound better?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
They are old and need to be replaced sooner or later, although they don't sound like dying yet. I'm replacing them to hopefully improve my tone and I don't care about the few months that the sovteks still have in them.
» Ibanez SZ520 + JB/Jazz
» Rocktron Rampage
» Vox ToneLab SE
» Laney LC15
I would say the first thing to do if you don't like your tone is replace the speaker, second replace the tubes. That will make the most difference in your toen.

Thanks,
Lank
My Gear:
Guitars: Vintage LP, Martin DX-1, Epi Viola Bass,
Amps: Marshall JMD501
Effects: Empty Set right now
some people don't even think about the tubes in their amps and to them, they make a bigger difference than they thought they would.

but at the same time, some people have the idea that tubes will make a huge difference and when they change tubes, they don't feel like they made as big a difference as they thought they would.

You can tell, but it's nto going to make or break your sound.
Okay, thanks for the replies. I'm still getting better tubes than sovteks when it's time. :P

I've been thinking about speaker replacement too, but I have no idea which ones to look for. It must be 10'' and I play metal, any suggestions?
» Ibanez SZ520 + JB/Jazz
» Rocktron Rampage
» Vox ToneLab SE
» Laney LC15
Quote by ahsoo
They are old and need to be replaced sooner or later, although they don't sound like dying yet. I'm replacing them to hopefully improve my tone and I don't care about the few months that the sovteks still have in them.

Sorry to threadjack - and feel free to ignore this - but (this is a question for everyone) how do you know when tubes are dying? Someone I haven't really heard anything about - i thought they just died without warning.
I've exposed your lies, Mr. Citizen Erased. This will give me all the peace and joy in the world. The truth will unwind and scrape away because I don't love you and never did - so please:

...I'm a cool kid.