So I don’t know if any of you guys are fans of Steve Morse, but I absolutely love this guy! I consider him a rock legend, one of the best guitarists ever! I’ve always wanted to see this guy live but just haven’t had the chance. But I was happy to find out that he just released a new album with his band called “Out Standing In Their Field”. The album is GREAT and you should definitely take a listen to it. I wish he would take his tour to California so I could see him live. Any of you had the chance of seeing him yet? Well here’s the link to his album in case any of you are interested.

http://bit.ly/SMBOutSt
"But that's how it's got to be.It's coming down to,
Nothing more than apathy.I'd rather run the other way,
Than stay and see"umgd.
He's great saw him with deep purple in the summer, listen to waves
"Sign your guitar? I'll sign your arse if you want me to!" - Herman Li, at a guitar clinic in Malaysia

Damn, we've so needed a thread on him. I don't know if they haven't taken off in the past or what, but I'm certainly up for a bit of Morse code in this joint.

(Later, though. I need to get to bed.)
I thought he was absolutely brilliant when I saw him with Deep Purple at Birmingham recently, simply great, and he's mastered the art of making un - guitarlike sounds come out of his guitar, he's very entertaining, a great and memorable member of the band.

At the end of the show, he threw out all his picks into the audience, but I didn't get one! I wish I did! Someone even grabbed one of Ian Paice's drumsticks and ran off with it!
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate head with 4x12 angled cab

Squier Strat (Fiesta Red) 90's, Korean
hes good in Purple... but I'd have to admit i think Blackmore fit better. Although their new stuff is great, its not the same really. Almost a new band.

For Morse's sound, listen to his solo stuff, Steve Morse Band, or the Dixie Dregs.

Ill be keeping a close eye on this thread; cause I am Steve Morse on this website. lol

Just met him recently at a Steve MOrse Band show along with his son; got to go backstage and play on his son's guitar. Pretty cool. Awesome dudes
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Steve Morse is just too awesome.

His 9 minute live solo with Deep Purple is one of the greatest things ever, in the history of music.
While driving yesterday, I saw a banana peel on the road and instinctively swerved to avoid it...thanks Mario Kart.
I love how Steve can alternate pick arpeggios that most people would sweep so cleanly, it really gives him a distinct sound. Like everybody else, I also think he's great in Deep Purple.
I first heard about him when my guitar teacher showed me Tumeni Notes, I had to pick my jaw off the floor after learning he alternate picked the whole thing.
you guys need to seriously check out his Steve Morse Band work and Solo stuff.

But come on... get on the Dixie Dregs' stuff too, he started it up.

He's a great guy, great player, and is not cocky in teh slightest [although he has the right to]

Turns out Petrucci idolizes him. Found that out when I talked to Petrucci after Progressive Nation this summer.

I asked Steve when i met him since he influenced Petrucci so much; if there was any 'throwback' or reverse influence from Petrucci to him. He said there was and that he's known Dream Theater's music since Majesty and that its cool how players he influenced are now influencing him.

EDIT: TS; hes taking a "left coast tour" and playing along the west coast some.

Redondo Beach, CA @ The Brixton 01/14/10

Agoura Hills, CA @ The Canyon Club 01/15/10

San Juan Capistrano, CA @ Coach House 01/16/10

Orangevale, CA @ The Boardwalk 01/17/10

San Fransisco, CA @ Slim's 01/20/10
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Last edited by Colton165 at Nov 28, 2009,
I don't really much of his music but from what I've heard from him I definitely want to check his stuff out. Does anyone have a recommendation?
Depends on what you've heard and liked. Tell me what you've heard so far.

From Deep Purple: Sometimes I Feel Like Screamin' [Live Version], Vavoom! (Ted the Mechanic), Bananas

From Solo Career: High Tension Wires album [Highland Wedding, Ghostwind, Tumeni Notes], Major Impacts and Major Impacts II in which he pays tributes to his influences on quite a bit of songs as well of his own stylistic pieces. Prime Cuts for his cover of Rush's La Villa Strangiato.

As for solo career songs: Stressfest, Rising Power, Prognosis, TruthOla, Highland Wedding, Country Colors, Air on a 6 String, Tumeni Notes, Derailleur Gears, Well I Have, Cool Wind Green Hills

Steve Morse Band [songs]: The Oz, Crusie Missile, Vista Grande, Here and Now and Then, Great Mountain Spirits, Distant Star [Eric Johnson is featured on this one], Native Dance, Flight of the Osprey, Flat Baroque, Baroque N Dreams, Time Junction [Steves son Kevin co wrote and played on this]

Dixie Dregs: [Album] Free Fall (one of the best albums ever made), Full Circle, What If

Dixie Dregs [songs]: Cruise Control, Holiday, Ionized, Ice Cakes, Take It Off The Top, Long Slow Distance, Sleep, Northern Lights, Yeolde, Free Fall, Atilla the Hun, The Odyssey, What If, Pride O The Farm, Twiggs Approved, Day 444, Punk Sandwich, Vitamin Q, Shapes of Things [Yardbirds Cover], Aftershock, Kat Food.

Hope that helps! (Too many recommendations?)
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
Last edited by Colton165 at Nov 29, 2009,