So I'm somewhat new to half stacks. I know how to set them up and what not, but I need some help with this OHMS stuff.

Does OHMS raise the volume, or power of my sound?
What determines the OHMS in my cabinet, the speaker?
and lastly, are there any 4 OHM 1x15 cabinets for a fairly cheap price?

Right now I have for a head, a

Behringer BRX1800H 180 watt head

For a cabinet I have an,

Acoustic B115 1x15"

Now the cabinet says that it's rated at 250 Watts at 8 OHM's.
My head says it's rated for 180 Watts at 4 OHM's and 100 Watts at 8 OHMS.

I know I have a lot of questions, but I trust you guys to help me out. =]

I play out of an ESP LTD B-206SM 6 string bass. Tuned from low to high, G,D,G,C,A,B flat.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
The speakers determine the ohm rating of the cab. You can wire speakers in series or parallel to get different ohm ratings. Its always best to match the ohm rating of your amp and cab. Since your amp can handle a 8ohm or a 4ohm load you can choose which you want.

To learn more about what ohms are and how they work read here - http://www.marktaw.com/recording/Electronics/OhmsAmpsandSpeakers.html
Last edited by Matt420740 at Nov 24, 2009,
Thank you. =] That's very helpful!

so how would I go about upgrading the OHM's to a 4 OHM resistance?
I want to play a 1x15" and I can't find any 1x15" bass cabinets that are rated at 4 OHM's... that isn't worth 3/4ths of my limbs.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles

Quote by mac_attack
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Last edited by 6stringbassist at Nov 24, 2009,
^ There really aren't any. You're better off just adding a cab. Adding more speakers raises the volume a lot more than just raising the wattage alone. You could just get another cab like the one you've got, which would take things to a 4-ohm load. Same tone, but louder.

Also, taking a cab from 8-ohms to 4-ohms isn't really an upgrade...just a modification. Two 8-ohm cabs will almost always be louder than a single 4-ohm cab.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 24, 2009,
Try this

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/matching_speakers_to_amps.html

Assuming it isn't a valve amp halving the ohms will draw twice the power from the amp if it has a decent power supply. This will not double the sound though, just an extra 3dB. Doubling the cone area if everything else stays the same will also give an extra 3dB.

Try this

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/making_it_loud.html
Thanks guys, all of this is really helpful info, and it's nice to see that my questions can get answered, because I'm fairly new to the site.

So I should just add another cabinet, and that will make my head run on the full 180 Watts of power? That's good to know. Two 1x15" cabinets with a low G string really rumble.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles

Quote by mac_attack
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10