This chord and any similar chord where you need to have 3 frets down, 2 frets over from the barre absolutely kills me. I can do most barre chords fine but I can't even play the open position of B. I also need to play C# which is the exact same as B. But I just can't do it. I use three fingers but my middle finger comes way too far off the fret. I just dunno. How should I go by figuring this out?

Also: my picking hand gets incredibly numb/cold when picking. Is there a way to keep it warm/warmed-up when playing so my alternate picking doesn't slow down?
The "cowboy" chord B is much worse...just practise. If you can't get it, you might need to have your guitar set-up.
Guitar & Bass
Am I playing it right by using all four fingers to fret everything? Or is it better to just use the ring finger to fret the other 3 frets?
Last edited by Xnipes at Nov 24, 2009,
Quote by Xnipes
Am I playing it right by using all four fingers to fret everything? Or is it better to just use the ring finger to fret the other 3 frets?

Whichever way works best (I wouldn't normally say that at all, but for this it's true).

As for the picking hand thing, I don't understand why that would be happening...
Well it's awful. My whole hand goes really cold and it makes picking difficult... I don't know how to keep it warm. I have poor circulation I think but there should be a way to keep it warm.
Is it just picking that makes it go cold, or other things?

If it's just picking, it'll be your technique. Make sure you're not cutting off the circulation at the elbow or wrist.

If it's with other things aswell, then it's just your hand. You probably should see a doctor or something, or (if you don't want to do that) try doing some stretching exercises to warm up and get the blood flowing.