I didnt know where else to put this so i thought id put it here

My band have just invested in a small PA system for practice in our bassist's garage, the problem is, none of us have ever had any experience with setting up a PA system

We are currently set up like this but can anyone give any advice on how we can set this whole thing up to reduce feedback
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Custom Made Strat with hot rails
Orange Rockerverb 50 MkII
Orange PPC212 OB
Tanglewood TW1000SR/FPP
TC Electronics Polytune
Line 6 DL4
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss Ch-1
Last edited by Reaper2502 at Nov 24, 2009,
Yeah, mics should NOT point at speakers. Place things at angles to avoid that, or put the PA speakers behind the drum set. Also, the way you EQ everything will reduce feedback. Roll back the highs and see if that helps.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
If those are the only two mics you have set up, you're designing chaos, my friend.

Feedback = looping sound. Out of the speakers, into the mics, out of the speakers, into the mics. Solution = do not point the mics at the speakers

Is there a way you guys can set up a more stage-like setting? Get your drummer behind the band so you're feeling what he's doing, and so he can feel what the bassist is doing. Play together, not at odds. Do you have stands for the speakers? Get them up high, especially if the mid frequencies - that would be your vocals - are all that's going through them. Set them up front. The drummer needs to hear what's going on with the rhythm more than he needs to hear the vocals, so place the amps near him, on either side, maybe - so all of you can hear what's going on with one another, and the vocals are going way out into the atmosphere, where they aren't clogging up that already rampant stage noise. So.

L above me!--------mic------------------mic--------------above me! R

-----------------------bassist------------guitar-------------

---------------Bass amp. ----- Drums ---------guitar amp
thanks for the suggestions guys, we can give them both a go
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Custom Made Strat with hot rails
Orange Rockerverb 50 MkII
Orange PPC212 OB
Tanglewood TW1000SR/FPP
TC Electronics Polytune
Line 6 DL4