I lowered my bridge in order to lower the action, so I can play faster. I got some on a few frets. Will the buzz ruin my frets or is it okay to leave a little buzz?
Why don't you just get rid of it completely? It'd make your guitar sound a whole lot better. Even if it's only on a few. You can get a low action with no buzz if you get it setup.
It's okay to leave some buzz if the amp doesn't pick it up if it does, raise it. That's how I have my guitar.
A good song should make you wanna tap your foot and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs. I'm only interested in writing great songs.
will raising the bridge to avoid fret buzz affect the intonaton or anything? I was going to start a new thread but this is less hassle and somewhat relevant
Last edited by hobson111 at Nov 24, 2009,
I don't have the money to get it professionally set up so I have to settle with this for now. But more importantly, does it ruin my frets?
It's all about compromise and what you're happy with... have the action high and have no buzz, have it low and it rattles or have it somewhere in between..it's up to you. At the end of the day it's what you can live with.

I have mine set reasonably low with a small amount of buzz. I'm fine with this and there has been no noticable detriment to my frets... and that's after 18 years of playing on it.

And no disrespect intended but it is my experience you can never get rid of the buzz with a low action, even after a pro set up, which will reduce it but never eliminate it. the nature of the beast is that the string vibrates and the closer it is to your fret board the more chance it's going strike your frets. esp if you play heavily.
[
Last edited by Skuzzmo at Nov 24, 2009,
Quote by Saephan215
I don't have the money to get it professionally set up so I have to settle with this for now. But more importantly, does it ruin my frets?

1. no it won't ruin your frets. i guess if it's brutal constant buzz, you'll wear the frets faster. but it's a guitar, it's meant to be played.

2. check your truss rod.
click the green link in my sig. look at the first post. MEASURE and post back here.
let me know if a credit card fits in the middle relief.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
That answers my question.

And now I'm wondering about what hobson111 said. Does raising/lowering the bridge affects intonation?
to know if you need to adjust that, all you have to do is fret any string at the 12th fret and see if it's in tune, when the open string note is tuned.

intonation is tuning and should be checked regularly anyway.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
A lower action may be a bit faster or easier to play for some, but the strings will ring out louder and give you more sustain if there's no buzz or dead notes... provided the action isn't too high. I would rather have a good low-medium action with no buzz and lots of sustain than a low action with buzz and deadened sustain.

If the buzz is isolated it may just need a few frets leveled (don't do this yourself).

Unleveled frets around the 7th fret may be harder to eliminate by simple adjustments of the bridge/saddle height or truss rod, but if the buzz is down toward the end of the neck you could give the truss rod a slight turn (loosen) to give the neck a little more relief to help get rid of it; and if the buzz is toward the higher end of the neck then raise the bridge action a little... just remember that very slight adjustments make a big difference.
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Nov 24, 2009,
All I have to say is:

I have found some kind of temporary sanity in this
Shit blood and cum on my hands