ight so most of you probally know the cord that comes with your amp & cab that will be plugged into the back of the cab and the head.. i looked at it and it is the exact same peice as the part that plugs in from your head to guitar.. i have an old patch chord laying around that is longer. can i just use that. reason being is because i wanna have my head higher up then my cab

it's a blackstar HT-5h and a blackstar HT-5 1x10 cabinet

thanks,

MetalGuitarest
WRONG.

The cables you use for your guitar or pedals (instrument cables) are different internally from the ones you use between your cab and your head (speaker cables).

Using instrument cables to connect your cab and head may cause your head to fail.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by MetalGuitarest
ight

It's pronounced "all right"
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Yeah, for sure make sure to use speaker cables.
Again, it can do damage to your head.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
On a related note, are there any ill effects if you use a speaker cord in place of an instrument cord?
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
you won't wreck anything but you I believe you'd pick up a ton of outside noise and weaken your tone a bit.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
From personal experience, speaker cables are completely useless for instruments. You just get a feedback whine and no sound. Doesn't do any damage other than blow your speaker if it's really sensitive. I think.
My Build! The Razorbeast Could really use some help.

I am always right. and if I am always right, my first statement about always being right, by simple logic, must be true, thus proving that I am always right. dependency loops rule.
Quote by theacousticpunk
On a related note, are there any ill effects if you use a speaker cord in place of an instrument cord?

Not really I guess...sound quality will probably be affected. Using an instrument cable in place of a speaker cable can damage your output transformer over time.
Quote by theacousticpunk

Lot's of noise. Like A LOT! I had to use one once. Jesus Christ. It's nearly unusable on clean and terribly unusable with distortion. Don't try.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I believe that a speaker cable is TRS.
One for Positive, one for negative, and 3rd for ground.
..I was watching my death.