Okay so recently my Valveking has been acting up, for no reason. The distortion is now very grainy and doesn't have any quality in it at all, whereas before I could make the distortion sound actually good. Nothing has changed in my room or anything, it just started doing this.. Also the clean tone is unaffected.. Anyone know what might be wrong?
Gear:

2004 PRS Swamp Ash Special
Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
I'm quite positive that one of your tubes has blown (and I'm also quite sure that it's a preamp tube.) Your dirty channel barely has any distortion am I right? And turning the gain knob doesn't do too much?

according to the slot that blew (v1,v2,v3), I would replace the tube with one of these:
V1: TAD12ax7 (TAD 7025), V2: Penta 12Ax7, V3: Sov. 12ax7LPS
Off of dougstubes.com and/or thetubestore.com
Personally I'd just go all out and replace them all if one of them blew but that's just me. Your tone will also improve greatly once you get rid of those stock tubes, and according to one of the masters of the Official VK thread, the combination mentioned above is what he think sounds the best.

EDIT: A fair amount of the VK's classic bad-sounding harshness will be removed by replacing all of the stock preamp tubes.

DOUBLE EDIT: How long have you had the amp for? Preamp tubes should last ATLEAST a year and a half.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Last edited by Faux~Affliction at Nov 24, 2009,
Quote by Faux~Affliction
I'm quite positive that one of your tubes has blown (and I'm also quite sure that it's a preamp tube.) Your dirty channel barely has any distortion am I right? And turning the gain knob doesn't do too much?

according to the slot that blew (v1,v2,v3), I would replace the tube with one of these:
V1: TAD12ax7 (TAD 7025), V2: Penta 12Ax7, V3: Sov. 12ax7LPS
Off of dougstubes.com and/or thetubestore.com
Personally I'd just go all out and replace them all if one of them blew but that's just me. Your tone will also improve greatly once you get rid of those stock tubes, and according to one of the masters of the Official VK thread, the combination mentioned above is what he think sounds the best.

EDIT: A fair amount of the VK's classic bad-sounding harshness will be removed by replacing all of the stock preamp tubes.

It's not that it doesn't have distortion, it does, it's just WAAAY too.. Thin and grainy.
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
Quote by aeliustehman
It's not that it doesn't have distortion, it does, it's just WAAAY too.. Thin and grainy.

Yeah like, barely-even-there distortion? Cranking the gain knob doesn't get you anything near what it should sound like?
With the amp turned on, twist off the metal coverings for all 3 of the preamp tubes (smaller ones). One (or more?) of them probably won't be lit up.
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Faux~Affliction
Yeah like, barely-even-there distortion? Cranking the gain knob doesn't get you anything near what it should sound like?
With the amp turned on, twist off the metal coverings for all 3 of the preamp tubes (smaller ones). One (or more?) of them probably won't be lit up.

Alright I'll try that and look.
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
Ok well I just turned on the amp, and looked in the back. There are 4 tubes, right? Because they're actually all lit up..
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
Quote by aeliustehman
Ok well I just turned on the amp, and looked in the back. There are 4 tubes, right? Because they're actually all lit up..

Those are the power tubes.
There are also 3 preamp tubes which are significantly smaller and have a metal cover over them. I don't know what size of VK you have but in this picture you see the three silver colored metal cylinders to the left? Those are them. If you've got the 100w head you'll have to unscrew the metal covering to get to them, but you gently push down on the metal covering, twist it, then pull it off. You'll probably see what I mean.

Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Faux~Affliction
There are also 3 preamp tubes which are significantly smaller and have a metal cover over them. I don't know what size of VK you have but in this picture you see the three silver colored metal cylinders to the left? Those are them. If you've got the 100w head you'll have to unscrew the metal covering to get to them, but you gently push down on the metal covering, twist it, then pull it off. You'll probably see what I mean.

Oh ok. I get it now. I've got the 212 Combo, so I'll just start it up and do that now that I know what to do..
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
Sounds good! Report back with the results! Hah.
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Sounds like you may have a bad tube in V2. Look in the last couple pages of the VK thread and you'll see a picture labeling the preamp tubes. Swap V1 and V2 and see if the problem goes away. If so, the V2 tube is bad.
Quote by Faux~Affliction

LOL. That's my amp

In the 112 version V2 is underneath the speaker there. Can't speak to the 212 but it should be similar.

Page 1 of the VK thread will give you some more info too
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
LOL. That's my amp

That's funny! I found it on google images
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Yup, I had this problem recently too when one of my tubes took a crap on me. I put a Tung-Sol 12ax7 in V1, a JJ EC83 in V2, and a Sovtek 12ax7LPS in V3. Then i put in some JJ 6L6GC power tubes. Not only did it fix the problem, my amp sounds 192,047,847 times better than it did originally.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by Faux~Affliction
Sounds good! Report back with the results! Hah.

Alright I waited until today to do it but I checked! It seems that in the little triangle of pre amp tubes, the top one and one closest to the right side of the amp are out. I'm not sure what slots those are, but yep. So does it matter what kind of those tubes you listed I put it what slot, or can it just be a random pre amp tube in a random spot?
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2