Page 1 of 2
Im playing in a kind of sludge/stoner band so Im looking for a head with a load of gain and a load of low end. Im not looking for anything too versatile or with loads of extras, just something to get me a great tone. My budget is around 800 euro. Any recommendations??
Maybe a 6505+ combo? They have assloads of gain.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
yea a 6505. the only bad thing is they dont have a clean channel, but the gain makes up for that, if you get the right settings, these things are brootul!
You say the 6505 dont have clean????

Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
You say the 6505 dont have clean????

Depending on your settings and what pickups you have, your cleans won't be perfect. On my Omen 6, the cleans break up pretty easily with the Breed, but they stay fairly clean using my '59.

Honestly, if cleans aren't a priority, I'd recommend the 6505 too. You'll have more than enough gain.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
i recommend 6505+ which have way better clean
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by sinnisa
6505 peaveys are for pussys. and therefore you cannot play stoner with that.

Sorry but if you're not getting ridiculous amounts of gain out of a 6505, you're doing something horribly, horribly wrong.
Axe-FX Standard
Put summa this on your amp.

(Invalid img)

But yeah, 6505 will be good.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by DrNick
Sorry but if you're not getting ridiculous amounts of gain out of a 6505, you're doing something horribly, horribly wrong.

QFT.

Yeah definitely check out the 6505+/5150 II. They have better cleans and still come with more gain than you'll ever need.
jet city 100 watt head. it'll be my next buy. used marshall jvms, 2203 kk, or any of their high gain models. used orange amps. 6505/5150 are nice, but i've never been a fan. tried out a few and they aren't anything im impressed with.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by sinnisa
6505 peaveys are for pussys. and therefore you cannot play stoner with that.

This man is correct. 5150s/6505s are voiced completely wrong for stoner music. They are way too tight and saturated.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by DrNick

pretty sure he didnt say anything about gain. they have lots of gain. i think their tone over all is pretty blah.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Rory Kavanagh
Im playing in a kind of sludge/stoner band so Im looking for a head with a load of gain and a load of low end. Im not looking for anything too versatile or with loads of extras, just something to get me a great tone. My budget is around 800 euro. Any recommendations??

... That kinda screams 6505 to me. Just my two cents.
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
This man is correct. 5150s/6505s are voiced completely wrong for stoner music. They are way too tight and saturated.

+1.

Look for a used sunn or a high quality ampeg bass amp. Add some fuzz (i reccomend a dano cool cat fuzz with fuzz on max and tone rolled back to a 1/4 or less) down tune and play loud.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD

+1 Grab an Orange, or if you can (not sure on the prices) a Matamp, they're meant to be awesome for stoner rock.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

A Vox can actually work surprisingly well too - Oranges are similar to Voxes. If you keep the Treble down it can work great. It won't be very high gain(use a boost with it) but it's not just all about the gain.

Listen to the dirt at the end of this clip - http://www.box.net/shared/1rd91zzc44

Also, a lot of Stoner uses(or is best emulated by in place of the actual rig)Fuzz rather than amp OD. Get a used Boss FZ-2, I think Electric Wizard used them. A Fuzz pedal through a Bass amp would work kind of best(Kyuss was an SD-1 through an Ampeg SVT I think, but it's easier to get that sound with a Fuzz).
Last edited by GURREN LAGANN at Nov 28, 2009,
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
A Vox can actually work surprisingly well too - Oranges are similar to Voxes. If you keep the Treble down it can work great. It won't be very high gain(use a boost with it) but it's not just all about the gain.

Listen to the dirt at the end of this clip - http://www.box.net/shared/1rd91zzc44

Also, a lot of Stoner uses(or is best emulated by in place of the actual rig)Fuzz rather than amp OD. Get a used Boss FZ-2, I think Electric Wizard used them. A Fuzz pedal through a Bass amp would work kind of best(Kyuss was an SD-1 through an Ampeg SVT I think, but it's easier to get that sound with a Fuzz).

the fuzz is more doom stoner stuff. if he is looking for a more straight forward metal sound then fuzz probably isn't in his ball park. example of a good stoner metal band is high on fire. no fuzz, twoheads being a/bed together at once for a sick wall of sound. there is no set way to play a genre. as long as it's heavy and trippy then he is straight.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by Crohny
the fuzz is more doom stoner stuff. if he is looking for a more straight forward metal sound then fuzz probably isn't in his ball park. example of a good stoner metal band is high on fire. no fuzz, twoheads being a/bed together at once for a sick wall of sound. there is no set way to play a genre. as long as it's heavy and trippy then he is straight.

Im playing in a kind of sludge/stoner band

Uhhh..
Quote by DrNick
... That kinda screams 6505 to me. Just my two cents.

yeah, but the good tone part, that kinda kicks the 6505 to the side. thats just my opinion.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Listen to Dr. Pain and Ben.

Then go look up imgooley and have a chat with him. He can tell you all you need to know about stoner/sludge/doom, etc...
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
TS, can you buy used? If so, there are a ton of great amps for stoner rock/metal.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Uhhh..

i don't think you really know your genres of music. he said he wants a lot of gain and low end. no where does he say fuzz.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Last edited by Crohny at Nov 28, 2009,
NOT a 6505. And that's coming from an owner of one.
Get a British-voiced amp and (possibly) boost it instead.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
NOT a 6505. And that's coming from an owner of one.
Get a British-voiced amp and (possibly) boost it instead.

don't even need to boost it. if he got a 2203 kk or a jvm210 there is no way youd need more gain. any more and it'll just sound like shit.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by cliff_em_all
+1.

Look for a used sunn or a high quality ampeg bass amp. Add some fuzz (i reccomend a dano cool cat fuzz with fuzz on max and tone rolled back to a 1/4 or less) down tune and play loud.

agreed.
Quote by Rory Kavanagh
Cheers guys, I checked the 6505 out and its perfect for what im looking for. Nice one!

In case none of you saw it. His problem is solved.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
The 6505 will do just fine for whatever you play, saying it cant play a certian genre of metal is like saying a car cant drive down the road. I do remember that the 6505 has a magical thing called an EQ, which, if used properly, can be used to change your tone into whatever you want it to be.

Plus, I'm sure TS is not an elitist Sludge metal kinda guy, he just wants something in the ball park of it, which the 6505 will do fine, and other generas fine.
Quote by ethan_hanus
The 6505 will do just fine for whatever you play, saying it cant play a certian genre of metal is like saying a car cant drive down the road. I do remember that the 6505 has a magical thing called an EQ, which, if used properly, can be used to change your tone into whatever you want it to be.

Plus, I'm sure TS is not an elitist Sludge metal kinda guy, he just wants something in the ball park of it, which the 6505 will do fine, and other generas fine.

i never said it can't do what he is looking for, i just said it will sound like shit. haha.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by Crohny
i never said it can't do what he is looking for, i just said it will sound like shit. haha.

No it wont dude, you can't make a 6505 sound like shit even if you tried. Why do you think so many people use it for every genera of music? You must be doing something terribly wrong if you are able to make a 6505 sound like shit.
Quote by ethan_hanus
No it wont dude, you can't make a 6505 sound like shit even if you tried. Why do you think so many people use it for every genera of music? You must be doing something terribly wrong if you are able to make a 6505 sound like shit.

i just don't care for them. sorry i don't have the same likes as you. im also sorry if my foot is of a different size than yours. can't help it. also, i don't care about what other people use. you don't see 6505 is sludge/stoner stuff. i have yet to see a good stoner metal/sludge/doom band that uses a 6505. why you ask, because they just don't cut it for that shit. thats my opinion, and i've heard a lot of other people have the same one. also i know a lot of people think they are shit for death metal and those lame metalcore bands and shit like that. not everyone will like what you like. no big deal.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Last edited by Crohny at Nov 29, 2009,
Quote by Crohny
i just don't care for them. sorry i don't have the same likes as you. im also sorry if my foot is of a different size than yours. can't help it. also, i don't care about what other people use. you don't see 6505 is sludge/stoner stuff. i have yet to see a good stoner metal/sludge/doom band that uses a 6505. why you ask, because they just don't cut it for that shit. thats my opinion, and i've heard a lot of other people have the same one. also i know a lot of people think they are shit for death metal and those lame metalcore bands and shit like that. not everyone will like what you like. no big deal.

The 6505 is not a professional amp, so chill out, its an upper intermediate amp, thats why it dosent cost $2000. Thats why professional bands dont use them, cause there is better, but a shit tone of intermediate unsigned bands use them, and alot of individual players. Dont like it then fine, your opinion, I respect that.
Quote by ethan_hanus
The 6505 is not a professional amp, so chill out, its an upper intermediate amp, thats why it dosent cost $2000. Thats why professional bands dont use them, cause there is better, but a shit tone of intermediate unsigned bands use them, and alot of individual players. Dont like it then fine, your opinion, I respect that.

i actually have seen signed bands that use them. obviously if it's a band like slayer or some shit they wouldn't bother, but i have seen signed bands using 6505s and shit. also, im pretty sure i never referred to any particular ranking of the band (pro or not). for that price range of the 6505 there are nicer amps with good amounts of gain. it's all personal preference.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Last edited by Crohny at Nov 29, 2009,
Quote by ethan_hanus
Hmm...

1. Killswitch Engage
2. Trivium
3. Bullet for My Valentine
4. All That Remains
5. Machine Head
6. The Black Dahlia Murder
7. Black Tide
8. August Burns Red
9. Bleeding Through
10. In Flames

And that's only a fraction of the signed artists who use the 6505.
Stoner bands don't use 5150s or 6505s because they are NOT WELL SUITED FOR THE GENRE. Stop your arguing already. Yes, they are great for the chugga-chugga-whee, but not for the saggy, fat stoner tones. That is why stoner bands don't use them.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Page 1 of 2