So can someone please tell me what the difference is between British and American voicing?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Brits have accents. It changes how they sing in subtle (or sometimes not so subtle) way. Basically, if you normally talk a certain way, it affects your natural way of singing.
british voicing implies more high mids, more "gnarly" sound. listen to any song of slayer's reign in blood, then listen to the heavy guitar riffs in a dream theater song. slayer exclusively uses marshall, most well known british brand, while dream theater exclusively uses mesa, pretty much the most well known american brand for high gain.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
It's not like if there's really predetermined differences between the two, the general rule of thumb is pretty much what the guy above said, but it's more than that, and you will have to listen to both if you really want to know
Quote by jamesfarr
British = more mids
American = more scooped

There are probably other reasons too

And also to me, it sounds like the distortion on American voiced amps is way "tighter", where on British amps it seems to have a fat more "uncontrolled" distortion.

And american amps seem to have much cleaner cleans.
I tend to hear british voiced as more "throaty" with less mids, listen to songs like black dog and whole lotta love.

American is a bit more trebley and with higher mids. It's a prefference really
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
alright thanks. so what're your guys personal preferances and why?

oh, and what exactly are scooped mids?
Quote by Tedward
And also to me, it sounds like the distortion on American voiced amps is way "tighter", where on British amps it seems to have a fat more "uncontrolled" distortion.

And american amps seem to have much cleaner cleans.

coughRectocough
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Scooping the miss means lowering them to kinds get a dry throaty tone, kinda makes the guitar sound heavier.

I like both for different styles, but metal(progmetal inbmy case) nothin bit American, I love re sound.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
i usually think of it as

british-marshall,laney,orange,vox
american-fender mesa etc.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

and dont forgot bout german voice guise liek diezel/framus/ect
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by westdyolf
Scooping the miss means lowering them to kinds get a dry throaty tone, kinda makes the guitar sound heavier.

I like both for different styles, but metal(progmetal inbmy case) nothin bit American, I love re sound.

No, more mids are "throatier". Scooping the mids gives you more of a "zappy" and metallic tone that works well for metal. Dimebag's tone is a good example of scooped mids.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Brits have accents. It changes how they sing in subtle (or sometimes not so subtle) way. Basically, if you normally talk a certain way, it affects your natural way of singing.

Quote by crazysam23_Atax

lol, he is talking about the amps not how people talk
shit littlephil beat me to it
Last edited by blackborrego at Nov 24, 2009,
Quote by marvelboy_04
i usually think of it as

british-marshall,laney,orange,vox
american-fender mesa etc.

+1

I too, think less in terms of voicing and more in term of brands.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
so how come I always see people on here complaining about scooped mids? are they that bad?
Quote by JAHellraiser
so how come I always see people on here complaining about scooped mids? are they that bad?

The guitar is a mid-ranged instrument. You take the mids away and the guitar because less noticeable in the mix.
Sorry, this is going to be slightly off topic but...

What exactly is the "German" voicing? I haven't listened to enough ENGL/Bogner/etc. amps in person to be able to tell.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
check the recording thread,i think they show you the different between german/brit/american
Quote by angusfan16