Well,I decided to get my old man a guitar for Christmas,but since he gigs in sh*tty hole-in-the-wall bars and has the maintenance habits of..well...an old man who gigs in sh*tty bars,I don't want to drop a ton of money on a guitar for him.

I want to get him an LP style guitar,and the Agile AL series caught my eye,especially the AL-3100 with the birdseye maple top.Now,I know these guitars get rave reviews,but I need some first hand opinions on the quality of these instruments.The sound of the electronics isn't really a concern of mine since I'll be replacing the pickups with a set of Duncans (probably a PG/'59 set) and shielding the whole thing prior to giving it to him.

So UG,what say you?

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

The AL-3100 is a very solid piece of instrument. I was amazed after I opened the box. My friend was so disappointed with his brand new Gibson's Classic after he tried out the Agile.

Kurt from Rondomusic has a very good return policy. If you don't like it in anyway then just post it back and get refunded.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

My cousin has one and it's definitely above the quality of an Epi std. Since you said your replacing the pickups it should pump out a good tone. As for build quality its an extremely heavy guitar, at least 12-13 pounds. So if your man is really "old" that might be a problem if he has back trouble. Other than that it has very level frets and stays in tune well. Overall it's the best lp $400 can buy new.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
Quote by hminh87
The AL-3100 is a very solid piece of instrument. I was amazed after I opened the box. My friend was so disappointed with his brand new Gibson's Classic after he tried out the Agile.

Kurt from Rondomusic has a very good return policy. If you don't like it in anyway then just post it back and get refunded.

That's what I like to hear .

Now I just have to find a nice set of pickups that would give good rock and blues tones in a 24 3/4" scale mahogany set neck guitar.

Edit: Thanks for the info on the weight.He may be getting up there in age,but I'm sure he can handle that much weight.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Nov 24, 2009,
I have the AL-3000 GoldTop. I brought mine at the office and it only took 5 minutes to have like 10 employees around. I am still using the stock pups on mine and they sound pretty darn good. I can only imagine what it would be with a decent SD or boutique pups.
Yeah. The Agile weights a ton. I would recommend for your old man the AL-2800 which has a chambered body. I think there were a few Chambered 3100 flying around before. Check the list.

Or take a look at Epiphone Ultra series. Costs a bit more but still much cheaper than fixing a broken back xD
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Nov 24, 2009,
I have the older 3100M and for the price, absolutely worth it. You won't mistake it for a Gibson or a MIJ Burny or Orville; however, with PU and electronics upgrades, you'll have a beast. Grab the HSC also, pretty cheap. Very nice Bang for the $$$, an opinion.

From everything I've read the 3100 guitars are outstanding for the money. Anyways, ebony fretboard with MOP trapezoids on a triple bound body/head for $389 = win.

I saw a white 3100 with some black plastics (instead of the cream stuff it comes with) and immediately knew I had to have one. Too bad it would be majorly irresponsible for me to shell out for a new guitar so soon after getting my 550.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by Ippon
I have the older 3100M and for the price, absolutely worth it. You won't mistake it for a Gibson or a MIJ Burny or Orville; however, with PU and electronics upgrades, you'll have a beast. Grab the HSC also, pretty cheap. Very nice Bang for the $$$, an opinion.

Yeah,I noticed that the heavy duty flight case for the guitar was only an extra $99,which is nice.

I'm thinking a set of '59's or a pearly gates/'59 set for pups,since he plays a lot of blues rock and classic southern rock.Anyone have any opinions on these sets or suggestions for other combos?

Quote by Ippon
^^ Not if you need a White 3100 with Black plastic.

Were it only so simple!

Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Ok,so now I'm thinking that this:

With these:

Would make for a great classic rock and blues guitar.I'm just wondering what kind of tone the Rio Grande pups will have since I've personally never used them.Based on the description and specs they seem perfect for what he plays though,so I think I'l give them the benefit of the doubt.

Quote by Ippon
As long as he has a nice amp, he can take advantage of the PUs' characteristics.

He uses a Fender hotrod deville,so they should sound pretty good.

I'm pretty sure that guitar has Alnico V Plus humbuckers. Alnico magnets are used in a lot of Gibson and Epiphone pickups. They're very flexible.

And 8 pounds isn't much... *looks over at my Dean*
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I'm pretty sure that guitar has Alnico V Plus humbuckers. Alnico magnets are used in a lot of Gibson and Epiphone pickups. They're very flexible.

And 8 pounds isn't much... *looks over at my Dean*

Regardless,they wont be comparable to a nice set of boutique pickups.They may be decent,but I don't want decent,I want outstanding .

Quote by AgresiveNapkins
My cousin has one and it's definitely above the quality of an Epi std. Since you said your replacing the pickups it should pump out a good tone. As for build quality its an extremely heavy guitar, at least 12-13 pounds. So if your man is really "old" that might be a problem if he has back trouble. Other than that it has very level frets and stays in tune well. Overall it's the best lp $400 can buy new.

I'm pretty sure the weight of almost every Agile is 10 lbs, with the exception of a few that weigh slightly less.
Quote by Pr0gNut
Regardless,they wont be comparable to a nice set of boutique pickups.They may be decent,but I don't want decent,I want outstanding .

Try the default pups before changing them. You might be surprise.
Quote by Pr0gNut
Ok,so now I'm thinking that this:

Once I spring for my first Agile, that'll be the one I get right there. I love that "finish".
I have a 2500 and it is fantastic. I put some BKP's in it and its a beast. Suprisingly the stock pots and switch, etc were all good quality stuff. My next guitar purchase will be a black 3100 and I will make it a Sykes clone. 3100's are easily as good or better than Epi elitists. my 2500 weighs about 10.5lbs. Here is my 2500.

ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Last edited by yellowv at Dec 2, 2009,
Quote by beatnik25
Once I spring for my first Agile, that'll be the one I get right there. I love that "finish".

Yeah,birdseye looks great under a clear gloss,I just wish it was a higher grade and had more "eyes" in it.Right now I'm struggling between that model and this one:

(Invalid img)

I'm leaning toward the Xavier at the moment,simply because the reviews have all been golden and it's about $200 cheaper .

EDIT: I have trouble believing that the 3100 can compare to an Epi Elitist,maybe a standard or Epi custom,but not the Elitist series.I've played Elitist models that put Gibson to shame,so I'm naturally skeptical .

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Dec 2, 2009,
The Xaiviers look pretty nice especially for the money but I can't get past the headstock and hosewood boards. For the price i may just pick one up one day anyway though. They are supposedly great guitars. I own 2 Agiles and can say i would take them over Korean LTD's and Schecters any day. Agile makes some seriously good stuff.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by yellowv
The Xaiviers look pretty nice especially for the money but I can't get past the headstock and hosewood boards. For the price i may just pick one up one day anyway though. They are supposedly great guitars. I own 2 Agiles and can say i would take them over Korean LTD's and Schecters any day. Agile makes some seriously good stuff.

After hours of research and combing the web for reviews the only negative thing I've heard about Xavier models is that they come with a poor set up,which isn't a big deal at all.I'm thinking of getting one and doing some simple upgrades on it since the reviews for the GFS pups have also been very good.

They were made in Korea. I believe they may be made by UnSung...they same folks that
made Epiphones. Its possible...but Im workin on getting that confirmed.

Either way...Agile and family are great guitars. They won't let you down.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by Pr0gNut

EDIT: I have trouble believing that the 3100 can compare to an Epi Elitist,maybe a standard or Epi custom,but not the Elitist series.I've played Elitist models that put Gibson to shame,so I'm naturally skeptical .

I will say that AL-3100 are better in every way imaginable then an epi custom/standard. (I had an epi ultra before so i know). The 3000 series is equivalent to an Gibson Studio or very close to that.
Quote by Symtex
I will say that AL-3100 are better in every way imaginable then an epi custom/standard. (I had an epi ultra before so i know). The 3000 series is equivalent to an Gibson Studio or very close to that.

And every Epi Elitist I've played has sh*t all over any Gibby studio I've played.I'm a naturally cynical and cautious consumer,so I tend to ignore far fetched claims like that.I don't doubt that Agile makes great guitars for the money,but until I sit down and extensively play one I wont believe any claims of them beating $1500+ instruments as far as quality and sound go.

Quote by Pr0gNut
And every Epi Elitist I've played has sh*t all over any Gibby studio I've played.I'm a naturally cynical and cautious consumer,so I tend to ignore far fetched claims like that.I don't doubt that Agile makes great guitars for the money,but until I sit down and extensively play one I wont believe any claims of them beating $1500+ instruments as far as quality and sound go.

Then go ahead an order order one. (3000 series) and you will be amazed. I own the 3000 GoldTop P90. I promise you this will be the best 400$ you'll ever owned. Just last night, I was practicing with some friend and when they tried my guitar, they taught it was an 1200$ guitar. When I told them I paid 400$, their jaw drops.

One note I have to say about Agile series ; The default bridge sucks. You absolutely to put a GOTOH or a TonePro. It's the only weakness i have seen. The rest is pretty much great. Even the pups are surprising. I had in mind to replace mine as soon as I received the guitar. They are still in my guitar.