Have any of you had any experience with dean? they look really cool and dime bag used to play em so i kinda curious if i should make it my new guitar.

if you know share how the neck plays and the sound of it?
There's a lot of bandwagon-jumping hate for them here. Which IMO they deserve. Every Dean I've played felt cheap and flimsy for the price, not to mention they've been beating the Dimebag horse so much there's only teeth and glue left
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Low end deans in genral are awful imo.
And Ones with Dimes name on them are WAY too overpriced because of said name one it.
I like them, and they sound pretty good, but if I was to ever buy one myself, it would be one without Dimes name on it, at least I'd be getting more for what I pay for.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
The ugliest things in music, well not counting Lemmy.
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
I own a Dean Knight, and it's a phenomenal guitar. I play live with it all the time, and it's held up. I like it, but that's my preference. I also like it because it doesn't have Dime's name on it. I wouldn't ever buy another one, because Dean left and the company is going to hell in a handbasket.
they're not bad. You need to roll around the tone knob to get good cleans.

The bridge pickup is normally very high output, and not very good for cleans in general. Pickup switch in the middle gets pretty good acoustic sounding cleans. Neck pickup is weird. Can be pretty mellow, but distorted sounds too muddy for anything.

They get a lot of sustain and they stay in tune well. Low action... cant really complain.
some do look cool but they are overpriced, for people who have more money than sense
Quote by Dopey_Trout
There's a lot of bandwagon-jumping hate for them here. Which IMO they deserve. Every Dean I've played felt cheap and flimsy for the price, not to mention they've been beating the Dimebag horse so much there's only teeth and glue left

POTY^

Look at it this way, the real Dean left the company due to his dissatisfaction with the company's image and quality.

Now he has a new company called DBZ Guitars: http://dbzguitars.com/

DBZ as in Dean B. Zelinsky not Dragon Ball Z
Guitars:
DBZ Bird of Prey Blood Red
Jose Feliciano Acoustic Guitar Debut Series Natural
Amp:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 60W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp
Pedal:
Peavey Sanpera I
Tuner:
intellitouch PT10 Tuner (Chromatic)
Last edited by Biblico at Nov 25, 2009,
My POV: I own a Yamaha Classical, an Ovation Elite, a Dean EVO Special Select, a Dean Time Capsule Caddilac, a Washburn AB20 fretless bass and 4 Jon Kammerer guitars (see http://jonkammererguitars.com/jkghtml_005.htm ).

Mid-level Deans- those in the $450-9000 range like my EVO- are perfectly acceptible guitars as compared to those in the same price range. They look nice and play nice, but they're not spectacular. You could find better, but they really have a decent bang for the buck.

High-level Deans- like my Caddilac- are awesome. Great feel, great finish.

HOWEVER:

1) I wouldn't buy a cheap Dean- they're definitely overpriced.

2) Nor would I buy one of their "signature models"- well, in all honesty, I wouldn't buy ANY guitar-maker's "signature models." But for a few examples, they're generally overpriced.

3) Deans are very popular with the metal community right now, partly because of Dimebag, partly because of their variety of "pointy" guitars. IMHO, you can find better deals on guitars in Dean's line if you avoid the "pointy" ones. "Kewl & Bröötal" doesn't make you sound any better, but better electronics, fit & finish may.

4) Dean Zelisky did, indeed leave Dean...twice. This latest time is because of some disagreements over what Dean was doing (according to some, mainly the overproduction of "Dimebag" products, some of which is truly inferior) and has left to form DBZ guitars. Those guitars return to some of the same ideals he had when he formed Dean...and when he returned after a long absence. From what I understand, DBZ guitars compare to some of his best work, and some are visually stunning- I want an Imperial, personally. They are not, however, inexpensive. ( http://www.dbzguitars.com/web/collection.html )
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by The Arsis
I have a FBD DIME and it is a great guitar. I got it for $599 which I think is a deal.

If it didnt have DIME'S name on it, you probly would have gotten the same parts and quality for about $399 :\
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I played a few Dean's recently at GC. Every one that had 'Dime' on the head absolutely sucked ass. A couple of the other higher end ones I found to pretty decent but you have to get over the $600 amount to get anything decent. 2 cents.
Yesterday is History; Tomorrow is a Mystery; but Today is a Gift; That is why it is called The Present.