I don't know quite where I should put this but here goes.

Anyway, over the last couple of months I've been getting headaches whilst playing bass. It usually happens when I'm playing in my bedroom and I've tried the following:

Turning down the volume
Standing really far away from the bass amp
Altering my EQ and amp settings
Not using my B string on my 5er.
Using a mute on my bass' bridge.

I've got this amp (a Laney RB4) :

Any ideas? It's getting so bad that I keep doing this:
Is it only when you play because if not then it's probably a more serious problem.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Quote by TrabenBassist22
Is it only when you play because if not then it's probably a more serious problem.

I get migraines (family problem) anyway but I seem to get headaches when playing nearly every time I play.
I'd look at your posture, is your neck bent over? Too much tension in your shoulders?

I mean, I can't stay in a club or at live gigs for any length of time because I get headaches very easily. Especially bass heavy music coming out of subs, etc. But i've never had a headache from a practice amp. I doubt it's a hearing thing.
Quote by Micehorns
I'd look at your posture, is your neck bent over? Too much tension in your shoulders?

I mean, I can't stay in a club or at live gigs for any length of time because I get headaches very easily. Especially bass heavy music coming out of subs, etc. But i've never had a headache from a practice amp. I doubt it's a hearing thing.

I USUALLY practice sat down, on my drum stool and I've always made sure that I've kept my back straight and all that.
Maybe you're just bad

I kid.

But seriously it could be posture, or maybe you're playing too aggressively?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
do you listen to loud music in your room as well? does that make you lose your lunch too?
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Quote by NakedBassist
do you listen to loud music in your room as well? does that make you lose your lunch too?

was thinking this too. why dont you turn on some bass heavy rap music, see if you can tweak the sound settings so the bass is louder and turn other instruments and vocals down, then plug some headphones in and listen to it. if you're getting a headache (from the bass not the rap ) then you might have a problem that could be serious
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
I'd suggest checking your breathing and posture whilst playing. I know sometimes my breathing goes a bit odd depending on what I'm playing.
signature
^ cant hurt to try them, they're cheap enough.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I've been and all I got told was to turn down the volume.

the doctors you know suck. find one and e mail him or her. if that doesn't work, then ask another one.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
the doctors you know suck. find one and e mail him or her. if that doesn't work, then ask another one.

Wish I could. Unfortunately doctors' surgeries here work on a system where you have to live within 'X' miles of the surgery to see them. So I'm basically stuck with the doctor I'm at.
Have you tried opening the door to the room you're in (if it's a little bit confined) and turning on a ceiling fan or oscillating fan of some kind? I often get headaches when I play, but it's mostly because I'm in a small room and the air isn't moving, so it's a little bit close and stifling. Usually turning on a fan helps a lot. It's something to try anyway.
I agree with Jazz_Rock_Feel, try getting the air moving, and whenever you get a headache, drink water; see if it helps, because it may just be because you're sitting off playing for too long without drinking anything. I know that when I start playing drums or bass, I can be at it for hours, until I absolutely have to go eat.
hmm this is my theory: there are some really high frequencies coming out of your amp. If you use single coils this is more likely. There is this ringtone Im sure most of you are familiar with called the mosquito, its a super high pitched frequencies that most people over 18 can't hear. Students use it so teachers won't catch them, but it gives a lot of people really bad headaches. Same thing when you have a TV tuned to VIDEO2 or AUX or something andf there is no signal, you can still hear that really high pitched tone. a diferent amp see if that helps. asso maybe a noise gate?
no sir away a papaya war is on