Does anyone know how much it would cost to get customized fretboard inlays on an electric guitar? I'm customizing a black Fender Strat, and if it doesn't cost too much, I'd like to do this. 'Course, if it's an arm and a leg, then, well, I'm fine, it's kinda an optional thing and I'm just curious
Depending on what you want... no, thats a lie.

A lot. The old inlays would have to come out and then the fretboard would have to be carved into your customization. It would be better to find a neck with a inlays close to what you want.
It'd depend on the specific luthier,the complexity of the inlay pattern,and the material used I'd imagine.I have no idea what it would cost on an existing neck,but you can get a neck from Warmoth with upgraded inlays for less than $500.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Depending on what you want... no, thats a lie.

A lot. The old inlays would have to come out and then the fretboard would have to be carved into your customization. It would be better to find a neck with a inlays close to what you want.

+1

Inlay work is expensive, and its not easy to find someone good at it either. Its very delicate work.
I called Guitar Center and asked what it'd cost for a custom inlay set similar to the Tree of Life on Jems, and it came out to like $700. Sheesh, might as well buy a neck.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Guitar2theface
I called Guitar Center and asked what it'd cost for a custom inlay set similar to the Tree of Life on Jems, and it came out to like $700. Sheesh, might as well buy a neck.

That's what you should expect for asking Guitar Center. I wouldn't ever go to them for any sort of customization or even a set-up. Those guys don't know jackshit about that kind of work. They just sell the things.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Nov 25, 2009,
Quote by Guitar2theface

Guitar center doesn't even do inlay work, or any type of luthier work. They sell instruments, not build them.
Inlay work is demanding and delicate work, so demands premium prices. If somebody says they can do it for really low prices probably best to avoid them.

And yea guitar center is about the last place to call if you want a guitar fixed.