hello people of the u.g. forum. I am a long time lurker, first time poster, so if i do anything screwy, please excuse me.
I am currently doing my first major guitar project and just wanted to get some questions answered and see what the incredibly opinionated people of the internet have to say............
anyways, here are the basic specs

Body: alder, mustang style, (ordered from warmoth)
Pickups: Neck: Seymour Duncan SP90-3
Mid: Fender japan mustang replacement (neck)
Bridge: Fender japan mustang replacement (bridge)
Neck: either one ripped from a squier strat (preferably maple fingerboard) or an epi lp special II (read on to find out about scale length complications)

Switching: similar to the one found on the lower part of a jaguar, but with each pickup being able to be turned off/on

Bridge: good ole' mustang style with trem and all

colorwise, its gonna be a kind of a semi-translucent purple, with racing stripes like the ones on some of the mustangs with a black pickguard with custom artwork done by a friend of mine.

I'm having a bit of a dilemmna with the scale length also. i prefer the shorter 24 3/4 of les pauls and such, but i am building a fender style guitar, and therefore would prefer a fender headstock.

but getting a shortscale fender neck is costly, and i have to do this as cheaply as possible......
so......
is changing the scale length as simple as moving the whole bridge assembly back a bit, or is there something else i need to do, or what?

I welcome new ideas and suggestions and things, but take into account that my funds are very very limited,
thanks.
Changing the scale length is indeed as easy as moving the bridge back, but unfortunately the fretboard must be slotted for the correct scale length. You'd have the right scale length from the nut to the bridge, but all of the notes on the guitar would be permanently out of tune. I'd try to stick with the regular Fender scale length, or simply build the neck yourself.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
so if i took the mustang body, (normally 24 3/4 scale) moved the bridge back to a 25.5 scale and put a 25.5 scale on it, i'd still have to reslot all of the frets?
Dx
Quote by mastermasterjaz
so if i took the mustang body, (normally 24 3/4 scale) moved the bridge back to a 25.5 scale and put a 25.5 scale on it, i'd still have to reslot all of the frets?
Dx

Oh, whoops, no, as long as the neck scale length matches the bridge placement, the fret slots will be in the right place.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
oh thank sweet baby jesus!
that is very good news!

thank you kind sir.
i will hopefully be putting up pictures and buisness very soon
I don't think it would matter, but I believe a mustang has a 24" scale.
Well the neck pocket may not be necessarily in the same place with both scales.

The sure way of doing it is to measure from nut to 12th fret. The multiply that by 2 and put the bridge at the multiplied distance from the nut.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
@luke: yes, i do know this, but this build isn't actually based off a mustang per se, but is actually based off the less well known Fender Cyclone II, (which is a 24 3/4 scale) i just said mustang because i thought it would be easier than explaining but know, (ironically) i had to explain it anyway.......defeating my original purpose
-_-

yea......................sooooooooooooo.............bad news is, i went down to my local guitar dealer..........and i measured the mustang and its not long enough to hold the longer neck without snapping (as my friend would say) "IN TWAIN!!!!" (bad news bears there)

good news is, it means i can order a cheaper more readily available jazzmaster body (my second choice) and i am going down to the pawn shop in a few to get the squier i am mauling for the neck and other parts.
That's cool.
I'm actually ordering a mustang pickguard and control plate to put on my jagmaster I'm also gonna put in some strat pups I got layin around.

But back on yours isn't the tail piece/vibrato system sposed to go out of tune real easy? Just figured I would ask cause I'm gonna get a jag after I mod the pre-mentioned guitar.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
if you use the stock jazz/jag bridge it does because the slots in the saddles aren't usually grooved deep enough. But i.m putting in a mustang bridge instead, same measurements and such, but it doesn't go wonky all the time. Still using the jazz trem though. i usually don't do crazy trem stuff anyway though, so i don't have toomany tuning problems.