Yeah so the other day i'm sitting on my bad, listen to the legend Jaco Pastorius self titled album and thought to myself, " if there is one bassist i want to sound like, its Jaco." I dont want to be a slappin maniac, and i certainly don't want to be hiding behind a guitarist while playing metal music with a pick. So tell me UG, how does one emulate his sound? What techniques should should i practice? any very helpful tips? am i going to need lessons? how does he get his harmonics so loud? Do i need a fretless J Bass? thanks for your help
don't try to copy someone. keep practicing and eventually you'll develop your own style.

i'd certainly advice taking lessons in the beginning cause that will make you progress very rapidly but after a while it's more about practice then lessons so that's when you should stop taking lessons.
I'M A COWBOY
Practice. A lot.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Quote by loaded_
don't try to copy someone. keep practicing and eventually you'll develop your own style.

i'd certainly advice taking lessons in the beginning cause that will make you progress very rapidly but after a while it's more about practice then lessons so that's when you should stop taking lessons.

Actually if you have ever been in the jazz seen people would tell you to emulate as many people as possible and then in the process you will make yourself. I believe this is true and it really helps with your playing.

In the end though you should be going for a unique sound be it your tone and how you play.
Bass is my life.
Quote by What_is_Hip?
Yeah so the other day i'm sitting on my bad, listen to the legend Jaco Pastorius self titled album and thought to myself, " if there is one bassist i want to sound like, its Jaco." I dont want to be a slappin maniac, and i certainly don't want to be hiding behind a guitarist while playing metal music with a pick. So tell me UG, how does one emulate his sound? What techniques should should i practice? any very helpful tips? am i going to need lessons? how does he get his harmonics so loud? Do i need a fretless J Bass? thanks for your help

The Fitz coverd Jaco in one of his long ranting blogs on his profile on here. Sadly he has left us, though his profile remains. He goes pretty in depth about Jaco's techniques, playing style, equipment, etc.

However I'm lazy and going to sleep so unless someone is nice enough to find it for you, you're gonna have to be self sufficient and look around for The Fitz's page and find it in his mass amount of blogging.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Just a note, but if you start playing like Jaco, there will be a bunch of people that think you're just copying him. Not bad to use him as an inspiration, (obviously. not even sure why I added that.) but just saying.
There are plenty of books and DVDs that address Jaco's playing style and techniques. As he was one of the greatest bassists who ever lived, and since he changed the way bass players approach their instrument, he is not going to be easy to replicate. But if you put in the time and effort, you should be able to get many of his techniques down. You've set a very lofty goal for yourself, but it would definitely be worth pursuing. Most of us would like to be able to play like Jaco.
a fretless bass with a soloed bridge pickup, chorus, and boosting around 100hz is about as good as it'll get.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Yeah, i get what you guys are saying about not being my own musician and not trying to directly copy someone, and thats not really what i intended to do. I mostly figured that i should use him as a goal/ check point kind of thing. Like, continue to progress and playing other stuff as well, but keeping in mind that I want to at least be able to sound like him; almost as an end goal. thanks for tips
One thing to add, his right hand was extra close to the bridge when he played.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by JF-SH1
The Fitz coverd Jaco in one of his long ranting blogs on his profile on here. Sadly he has left us, though his profile remains. He goes pretty in depth about Jaco's techniques, playing style, equipment, etc.

However I'm lazy and going to sleep so unless someone is nice enough to find it for you, you're gonna have to be self sufficient and look around for The Fitz's page and find it in his mass amount of blogging.

Fitz left? Damn, it's been a while.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic