I have recently (about 3 hours ago) purchased a 120 watt Bugera 6262 head, without a cab to go with it. Normally, this would be moronic, but I read an older forum and realized that it was possible to do some wiring and adapt the speakers in my current amp ( a 100 watt 2x12 combo) to serve my purposes. HOWEVER: I do have a question concerning the exact method of wiring.

My original plan was to use unshielded speaker cable (same stuff you use to hook up the speakers on your TV) and solder a 1/4 inch plug (male) to one end. Will this work, or will I have to solder a jack instead and then buy an actual speaker cable?
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Hrm.

Good rule of thumb: if you have to ask about something like this, you probably shouldn't do something like this.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by forsaknazrael
So you wanna make a cable that goes from your combo's speaker to your head?

What guage of wire is it?

Um... thick?

It's fine. I think I'll just do the long way to be safe. I really don't want to blow up a brand new amp.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
^It's really not that hard to do if you want to do it. It sounds like you already know how to solder. HNAD!

Also, have you seen BeerChurches blog on these amps? If not, go check it before you power it on. Also make sure you have the ohms matched with cab and visually inspect the tubes after you power on. If anyone one of them gets real bright then shut it down and seek help.
Quote by Marky_Strummer
Sorry to be of no help, but the title of this thread made me lol

+1
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
You dont need a special store bought speaker cable no. Some decent speaker cable and a male jack will work. You do need to know the ohms on the speakers.
Quote by Tackleberry
You dont need a special store bought speaker cable no. Some decent speaker cable and a male jack will work. You do need to know the ohms on the speakers.

And how they are wired.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I too have a question about soldering the speaker wire to the mono plug. Which wire goes where?

TS, I was looking to do the same thing with an Blackheart Little Giant and a Crate GT212, but I ended up getting a 1 x 12 cab before my soldering iron, heh.
Quote by Commodor 64
I too have a question about soldering the speaker wire to the mono plug. Which wire goes where?

TS, I was looking to do the same thing with an Blackheart Little Giant and a Crate GT212, but I ended up getting a 1 x 12 cab before my soldering iron, heh.

If it's indeed mono and just a hot and the ground, the hot goes to the tip, the ground goes to the sleeve. I have a really bad drawing for reference for my student employees, but I can't seem to find it right now, but the easiest way is to simply trace back the metal to their connection points to figure out which is which.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Yeah I traced the wires back to the board and it should say + or - there. The + goes to the hot lug and the - to the other lug.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
OK, so... you guys are saying that it IS ok to use unshielded cable directly out of the amp? Just for reference, I'm talking about this stuff.

I'd be wiring two 8 ohm speakers in series for 16 ohms. If you have any thoughts on this, now would be a good time to let me know.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

Last edited by FrustratedRocka at Nov 25, 2009,
I don't think you'd cause damage using unshielded, some internal wiring sometimes is done unshielded, but for longer runs, you'll get unwanted RF interference from them not having them shielded. But this is just a stopgap until you get a proper cab, right? If that's the case, and you're careful about everything, I think it'll get you by.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣