I'm a natural drummer but after writing and composing my own music, I've taken to learn how to play at least Intermediate Electric Guitar and Piano.

One nasty habit I have is that I when I play Non-chords (Like Clapton's solo for Let It Be) I keep my pinky pressed down on the pickguard.

I have no idea where this came from and the only reason I can guess why I do it in the first place is so I can have some stability with my hand so I can hit the strings more precisely. It's almost second nature to me.

Does anyone know why I do this? I can provide a picture if needed.

Anyways, thanks and rock on good people

Musically yours, FueledbyMoon.
your supposed to do that

my guitar teacher told me to do that whenever i wasnt
if its not bothering you, or getting in the way of your playin, or preventing you from improving or whatever, why change it what works for you?
gear: schecter damien 6 fr, epiphone sg 310, marshall mg100dfx , peavey acoutic (no clue what model), ovation celebrity cc44 acoustic, rocktron silver drago distortion, rocktron banshee talk box, dunlop cry baby 535q
I figured most players anchored while soloing. It gives your picking hand a sense of relativity in relation to the strings.
Consider yourself lucky man, I hate anchoring. I naturally "anchor" by resting the wrist area of my hand/arm on the bridge... Doesn't really get in my way or disrupt me, but a lot of people tell me its wrong and/or poor posture and preach that I should anchor the way you already do naturally...
It's called anchoring and I'd say avoid it. It will help with accuracy, but it can lead to a bunch of other things including carpal tunnel syndrome.

Quote by tom32
your supposed to do that

my guitar teacher told me to do that whenever i wasnt

Your guitar teacher is an idiot.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Anchoring only really hurts if you play really physically demanding music (shred etc...) and unless you feel tension or direct pain there's no reason to worry. Although I found it easier to do faster picking patterns unanchored, there's really no reason to relearn your technique at a later stage. John Petrucci anchors (AFAIK) and has a very relaxed (as in tensionless) technique.
Quote by In The Flesh
John Petrucci anchors (AFAIK) and has a very relaxed (as in tensionless) technique.

I think that it gets kinda tense after 14 NPS, aka "The Region where notes sound like coins being counted in a Mario game"
Ok, I need a picture.
[img]http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/10/24/633604588429325324-annoyance.jpg[/img]

Billy Mays is definitely gonna give me nightmares now.

Quote by xxGUITARZER0xx
honestly no

but i just did the pallet town theme song cause someone wanted that

Quote by speakers
all of the above
Thanks a lot guys for the replies!

A little about me:

I only use it on like single string notes, NEVER CHORDS. Not even 2 or 3 string chords.

I guess I use it to be more precise and accurate like you guys said earlier.

Here's a picture for reference. Sorry, It's taken with a crappy Webcam...
Quote by Junior#1
It's called anchoring and I'd say avoid it. It will help with accuracy, but it can lead to a bunch of other things including carpal tunnel syndrome.

Your guitar teacher is an idiot.

Agreed, it does help with accuracy, somewhat, but as soon as you hit a lick with a lot of string crossing it can get in the way - you need to be free to move from string to string unimpeded. I'd start working it out of your playing. It is ok if your pinky touches or brushes against the body of the guitar, just try to stop pressing down.
I did this a LOT as a beginner, and 9 times out of 10 I wouldn't even realize I was doing it.

Depending on the style of music you're playing, anchoring can SERIOUSLY harm your technique. Especially when you want to shred like I do. XD

It may take a while, but start paying attention to what you're doing while you're playing (if you don't do that already) and if you see that you're anchoring, pick that pinky up and try to continue playing without anchoring. If you've become used to it at first you will notice your overall sound will die a little bit due to losing your "synch" with the strings by having the anchor -- it should pick back up again with practice.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Quote by In The Flesh
Anchoring only really hurts if you play really physically demanding music (shred etc...) and unless you feel tension or direct pain there's no reason to worry. Although I found it easier to do faster picking patterns unanchored, there's really no reason to relearn your technique at a later stage. John Petrucci anchors (AFAIK) and has a very relaxed (as in tensionless) technique.

You can literally watch Petrucci's muscles relax after a fast lick (especially nowadays since he looks like the Incredible Hulk). He is hardly tensionless. I think he's gotten better about it since, say, the Rock Discipline days, but the tension is still there.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Nov 30, 2009,