Well, the guy is coming here in the morning to pick up my Boss ME-50. This means, along with my minimum wage job and the fish tank I'm also selling, that I get a new guitar toy. As my username implies, I run an '84 Destroyer II (Ibanez) through an Ampeg SS-140C. I am looking at getting a Tone Zone in my bridge, and either an Air Norton or Liquid Fire in my neck. The guitar has a flames maple top, so its naturally bright. Is the Liquid Fire supposed to basically be a hotter Air Norton?

I'm not really even looking for more gain I guess, I just want everything to sound a little richer and more even. Kind of looking for a Jon Levasseur (Crytopsy) lead tone I guess. Any opinions on putting those pickups in my guitar?

Also, I was thinking of maybe just spending it on an ISP Decimator. We aren't playing shows until this spring, but it would still be nice. Do you think I should do this instead?

Thanks for your input!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Alright, now it is a throw up between the D-Activator X and Super 3...
Well what the hell...You guys don't have any input at all, on what to put in the bridge of my '81 Ibby Destroyer?
OK, first off, you need to stop bumping your own thread. Second, check out bareknuckle. If you can afford them (they're hand wound boutique pickups), they're well worth it. Email the guy there, and he'll help you out. Second - guitar specs? Musical style? Try the tone selector on the dimarzio website.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
What are the rough specs of your guitar, what style of music do you play and what specific tonal demands do you have? That last bit's really important, and try to be really specific; as far as pickups go it's safe to bet that if you want it, somebody makes it!
In general I'd say that the pickups you listed are pretty much all a bit too massive sounding for a Destroyer; since you've got a huge expanse of wood behind the bridge I'd want something with a more balanced tone.

If you want high output, the DiMarzio Crunch Lab offers a very balanced, even tone that will work perfectly in this case. The Seymour Duncan Custom 5 could work well if you don't need as much output. In terms of neck pickups, the LiquiFire offers a well rounded and versatile tone that's well matched to the Crunch Lab. Other options could include the bright clear and vocal PAF Pro and the slightly more vintage midrange of the PAF Joe. If you've got more money Bare Knuckle Nailbombs are great for a rich and even rock and metal tone.

Take these reccomendations with a grain of salt though; without knowing exactly what you're after it's hard to reccomend the perfect pickup.
Quote by Rock Pig
What are the rough specs of your guitar, what style of music do you play and what specific tonal demands do you have? That last bit's really important, and try to be really specific; as far as pickups go it's safe to bet that if you want it, somebody makes it!
In general I'd say that the pickups you listed are pretty much all a bit too massive sounding for a Destroyer; since you've got a huge expanse of wood behind the bridge I'd want something with a more balanced tone.

If you want high output, the DiMarzio Crunch Lab offers a very balanced, even tone that will work perfectly in this case. The Seymour Duncan Custom 5 could work well if you don't need as much output. In terms of neck pickups, the LiquiFire offers a well rounded and versatile tone that's well matched to the Crunch Lab. Other options could include the bright clear and vocal PAF Pro and the slightly more vintage midrange of the PAF Joe. If you've got more money Bare Knuckle Nailbombs are great for a rich and even rock and metal tone.

Take these reccomendations with a grain of salt though; without knowing exactly what you're after it's hard to reccomend the perfect pickup.

Great, thank you for your help. I am after a sort of blend between Cryptopsy None So Vile and Decapitated Nihility, and of course some Death/Suffocation/Dying fetus because of the amp itself. The amp is an Ampeg SS-140C. My guitar is fairly bright, due to the maple cap, but it also has some balls, so that Crunch Lab could be a good idea. It is meant to go with the Liquifire? High-output is kind of a must, as I would like to make everything sound fairly even, because it is tech-metal that I mostly play.

I've never bought aftermarket pickups, so I am really quite nervous. It could either make my tone that much closer to my goal, or send it out of orbit completely. What I am really looking for I guess is more evenness and bottom end grind. Its too bright right now for sure. also more harmonic qualities, I mean they jump out now but I want those ****ers leaping into your face!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Great, thank you for your help. I am after a sort of blend between Cryptopsy None So Vile and Decapitated Nihility, and of course some Death/Suffocation/Dying fetus because of the amp itself. The amp is an Ampeg SS-140C. My guitar is fairly bright, due to the maple cap, but it also has some balls, so that Crunch Lab could be a good idea. It is meant to go with the Liquifire? High-output is kind of a must, as I would like to make everything sound fairly even, because it is tech-metal that I mostly play.

I've never bought aftermarket pickups, so I am really quite nervous. It could either make my tone that much closer to my goal, or send it out of orbit completely. What I am really looking for I guess is more evenness and bottom end grind. Its too bright right now for sure. also more harmonic qualities, I mean they jump out now but I want those ****ers leaping into your face!

Crunch Lab sounds perfect; also consider the Tone Zone if you're more or a lead player, or the D-Sonic (bar towards bridge) if you drop tune a lot. Liquifire's a good match for it, but by no means the only option; the PAF Pro's bright and clear with a midrange spike that makes it good for lead playing, and the Air Norton's really big and chunky but might be slightly too thick for the Destroyer.