Hey everyone, I'm looking to invest in a delay pedal and was wondering if UG has a favorite. I've never really looked at delays before and need a place to start so if you can kindly suggest some, that would be great. Thanks
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
Hmm...I'm intrigued to know what UG's favourite is too. I've got an MXR Carbon Copy analog delay. It's great. No problems so far and it was a decent price, considering it's an analog.
Corbon copy is legit. But hands down the best delay for under 200 is the Hardwire Delay/Looper.
Empress Super Delay!
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
^ negative. nova repeater.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
What are UG's thoughts on the TC Electronic Nova Repeater? Or the regular Nova Delay?
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
When i got into the delay pedal game i bought a used Danelectro "DanEcho" for 35$ just to see if my playing style worked with an echo pedal. its been great for what i do and i recently played the Hardwire as mentioned above and that was pretty sweet. the Carbon Copy is a great pedal but i think its a little over priced. it all depends on how much cash you want to through at it.
Quote by rtmilster

Err no... your "negative" is rather pointless since this is all about opinions.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 25, 2009,
Does any one have any thoughts on the Boss DD3? It seems to be one of the more common ones people talk about.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Quote by rtmilster

Seriously?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
i liked the nova repeater for its features but its tone was not that great honestly, pretty shrill and fake sounding
the hardwire dl8 is pretty great, it's just a bit impractical for the tap tempo

my favorite is the red repeat by carl martin, awesome tone and standard features that are nice to have (volume, tone, time and number of repeats knobs)
memory boy. under 100 dollars and all analog
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Washburn Ax9(great bank for the buck, if you can find one), BOSS DM-2, MXR Analog Delay are the favorites that I've played.

I used to love digital delays, but the tone is now far too sterile for my peni--I mean, too sterile for my liking. I'm probably going to sell my DD-6 soon.
Gear:
Fender USA Standard Strat
1972 Aria "Lawsuit" Les Paul

Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb w/Randall cab
Traynor YCV40

Effects: (working on it..)
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
BOSS DD-6
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
1978 MXR Dist.+
Quote by burn out on me
Washburn Ax9(great bank for the buck, if you can find one), BOSS DM-2, MXR Analog Delay are the favorites that I've played.

I used to love digital delays, but the tone is now far too sterile for my peni--I mean, too sterile for my liking. I'm probably going to sell my DD-6 soon.

You should try a DD-3. There's actually a big difference in tone. I really like the DD-3 because it's less sterile and has more analog feel to it, but it still has the longer delay time and bite of a digital delay pedal. And it's not too expensive as far as delays go.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I owned the Nova Delay for a week and just didn't like it..........I ended up with a Maxon AD-900 and i'm thrilled with it.
I like my carbon copy, its simply and straight forward and it has a nice slight modulation effect to it that gives your delay some extra thickness to it. Its satisfies all my needs and it sounds great. You can also get some interesting little sounds here and there playing with it.

However the only other delay I have experience with is a behringer digital delay... which I do not recommend. It's a peice of crap...
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
I own a Hardwire DL-8. It sounds pretty good, but the only downside is that you can't get multiple sounds from it at once (namely you're stuck with one setting at a time) and the looper can't have delay on it.

If you're willing to spend a bit more, a used Line 6 DL-4 would be right up your alley if you want to be able to have multiple preset delays.

If you're more into analog delay, look into the Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Malekko Ekko 616, and the new Deluxe Memory Boy which should be released soon.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by ragingkitty
Empress Super Delay!

don't sweat it RK, eventually they'll listen... once they've blown way more money than they needed to in the first place.

my $0.02 = maxon ad999
Thanks for the feedback. It seems the Hardwire DL8 or the Line 6 DL4 are the most common of the suggestions. I don't particularly want to spend over $200 for a delay pedal but I'll start with those two. If anyone has any other suggestions, they would be appreciated.