Page 1 of 2
they looked too much alike...are you sure they not bro and sis?
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
Hmm. Well, that's quite the tricky situation they've managed.

Awesome though, I hope they get what they want, in this case.

it seems that there aren't any differences between a civil union and marriage other than sexual preference. if they want, they can sign a marriage license and just call it a "civil union." their case seems ridiculously pointless.
Sent from my iPad.
so gays cannot marry, and straights cannot get civil partnerships. why not just legalize both and get over it already. itll make alot more people happy >.>
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by Zinnie
so gays cannot marry, and straights cannot get civil partnerships. why not just legalize both and get over it already. itll make alot more people happy >.>

This. That change would bring nothing but good.
Quote by diofan88
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Every band is a lotr metal band. Metal is like Guile's theme for Lotr.
Quote by mcjosh
Whoever thinks Japan deserved the tsunami in any way should just go away and fucking die alone.
if the difference is one is in a church and the other is not then what are homosexuals bitching about? iunno why they would even want one in a church considering Christianity doesn't exactly condone their union so why would they want to be part of that?

as for this couple, well i would like to see them be able to get a civil union, turn the tables a little.
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
I don't see what the difference is, but they should be able to do it that way if they really want to regardless.
what is that and why don't they just get married?

<-- not english... well a little... but point is im a yank
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by touji-za-nai
what is that and why don't they just get married?

<-- not english... well a little... but point is im a yank

civil partnership is the marriage-equivilence for same-sex couples. The point they're making is that there shouldn't be a distinction between same-sex marriage and differing-sex marriage.

And, as usual, religion is to blame for the split being there in the first place.
Quote by paintITblack39

it seems that there aren't any differences between a civil union and marriage other than sexual preference. if they want, they can sign a marriage license and just call it a "civil union." their case seems ridiculously pointless.

Unless it's to fight for a clear equality. Either call them both marriage or call them both civil partnerships.

Quote by Stormx
civil partnership is the marriage-equivilence for same-sex couples. The point they're making is that there shouldn't be a distinction between same-sex marriage and differing-sex marriage.

And, as usual, religion is to blame for the split being there in the first place.

Don't start pointing the blame on religion. Many religious people believe in same sex marriage, which is why I don't understand that it's illegal for there to be civil unions conducted in churches when there are churches in the US that perform these ceremonies.
Last edited by dudius at Nov 25, 2009,
Quote by dudius
Don't start pointing the blame on religion. Many religious people believe in same sex marriage, which is why I don't understand that it's illegal for there to be civil unions conducted in churches when there are churches in the US that perform these ceremonies.

Mormons spearheaded the fight for Prop 8 in California, and most homophobes base their hate on Biblical passages (that oft-cited one from Leviticus springs to mind), so it's safe to say religion does play a significant role.
Quote by dudius

I never said all religious people are to blame. It's mostly the catholics who oppose it in this country, most other denominations are more progressive. I'm just saying that the problem wouldn't be there if religion didn't make an easy substitute for common sense in some people.
Quote by paintITblack39

Marriage is a religious institution.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Wulphy

Not anymore, dude. A marriage is just as valid if performed outside of a church. The church may have "owned" it for a while (and bear in mind that marriage pre-dates all abrahamic religions) but it certainly doesn't anymore.
Well, this proposition is just ridiculous. If we allow the Straights to get civil-unioned, what's next? What comes after inter-gender unions? Interspecies? Paedophiles? Man-vodka?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
Well, this proposition is just ridiculous. If we allow the Straights to get civil-unioned, what's next? What comes after inter-gender unions? Interspecies? Paedophiles? Man-vodka?

Man to a videogame?

Pffft, like that would happen.
Quote by severed-metal
Man to a videogame?

Pffft, like that would happen.

I call the chick from the Dragon Age commercial right now. She's MINE I tells ya!

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
I call the chick from the Dragon Age commercial right now. She's MINE I tells ya!

Don't do it man, she's not what she seems!
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Wulphy

Are you kidding? The concept of marriage has been around as long as civilization in completely separate cultures all over the world.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Are you kidding? The concept of marriage has been around as long as civilization.

You're arguing semantics, my friend.

When one tells another that he/she is married, others assume it was a religious act. Some people may not want these assumptions, or even to be associated with the term "marriage" after the religious monopoly of the subject. What's the big deal to allow civil unions?

But, personally, I find this to be a huge waste of the court's time.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Wulphy

When one tells another that he/she is married, others assume it was a religious act. Some people may not want these assumptions, or even to be associated with the term "marriage" after the religious monopoly of the subject. What's the big deal to allow civil unions?

I don't know how to put it into words, so I'll just say that I disagree with you and that I definitely don't assume marriage to be a religious act. Shit tons of people get married outside of a church.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
I don't know how to put it into words, so I'll just say that I disagree with you and that I definitely don't assume marriage to be a religious act. Shit tons of people get married outside of a church.

Fair enough.

Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Wulphy

If you replace "one" with "I" in this, your statement holds true. Unfortunately marriage brings no such connotations to my mind, as the vast majority of my peers are atheists or fairweather christians.
I can see it being plausible. Maybe they are Atheist. Depends on how you feel on marriage; whether you see it as a religious act or simply a legal one.

Only reason id personally get married to the one I love is for legal reasons. Tax breaks and the like. Otherwise, I am not religious and I dont see the point of a marriage. I dont need a document to make a commitment and a document doesnt mean shit in terms of commitment.
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by Stormx
If you replace "one" with "I" in this, your statement holds true. Unfortunately marriage brings no such connotations to my mind, as the vast majority of my peers are atheists or fairweather christians.

If you believe that your peers represent the majority of the world, you are sorely mistaken.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I'd say marriage has lost a lot of it's religious value anyway. According to religion, people are supposed to wait until marriage to engage in sex, only engage in sex with the one person who they are married to, and never divorce.

So I find the idea of it being a religious-only kind of thing ridiculous. And if it were religious, why should we have to pay the government to buy a license to wed, anyway?
Quote by Wulphy
If you believe that your peers represent the majority of the world, you are sorely mistaken.

I never said they did, but disproving a general statement is as simple as finding one counterexample, and I nominate myself.
Quote by dudius

So I find the idea of it being a religious-only kind of thing ridiculous. And if it were religious, why should we have to pay the government to buy a license to wed, anyway?

By Jove, you've almost figured it out. You're just one step away!

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
By Jove, you've almost figured it out. You're just one step away!

That close to figuring it out for myself, or for America? I'm hoping it's the latter, since it'd be less a "joining someone else's opinion" and more "making a world of difference".

If I figure it out, do I get a Nobel Prize and the money that comes with?
The guy totally looks like he should be roaming the 19th century streets of Whitechapel in a tophat and cloak murdering people and then running off into the night.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Wesseem
if the difference is one is in a church and the other is not then what are homosexuals bitching about? iunno why they would even want one in a church considering Christianity doesn't exactly condone their union so why would they want to be part of that?

as for this couple, well i would like to see them be able to get a civil union, turn the tables a little.

It depends on the denomination, you blithering fool.
Quote by Holy Katana
It depends on the denomination, you blithering fool.

Im telling you, you english folk make insulting people sound damn sexy.
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Page 1 of 2