I've been playing guitar for a long time now, and I want to start recording my own stuff. So I'm looking for a recording studio for my computer where I can just plug in my guitar with some distortion and play some rythym and then another track for lead and maybe some drums. Something simple for a begginer recorder, nothing like a grand or expensive crap, just like under 300 Aussie Dollars. Please give me some suggestions...
---Gear---

BC Rich Virgo
My first guitar (some crap ibanez? Dad never told me what model...)
Peavey Vypyr 75 Watt
Marshall MG 15 Watt
Boss DS-1 Pedal

Really want Mick Thomson's Signature Ibanez MTM1...
If your just looking for a basic program which already has a stack load of half assed effects on there, i would recommend the 'reaper' free trial, which for some strange reason never actually runs out.

You can record as many different instruments as you like, and the quality isnt horrible. as for connecting your guitar to the computer itself just go around to stores like jaycar for instance,i dont know if they have them in victoria. the cable plugs straight from the guitar to the usb port.
At the moment I'm just looking at the SONY Acid Music Studio 7 and the CAKEWALK Home Studio XL. Are these ok for a low price?
---Gear---

BC Rich Virgo
Peavey Vypyr 75 Watt
Marshall MG 15 Watt
Boss DS-1 Pedal

You should at least check out Reaper. I mean, it's a free program, and if you really like it you can spend $60 for a license. After that I would buy an M-Audio Audio Buddy preamp and a Shure 57 and mic your amp. That's a setup I was using until my computer crashed and it worked really well.
k it sounds good.
I've only just realized I've had reaper all along because my Peavey Vypyr 75 came with a disc with a 30 day trial of reaper LOL -smacks forehead-, so might have to give it another look.
---Gear---

BC Rich Virgo
Peavey Vypyr 75 Watt
Marshall MG 15 Watt
Boss DS-1 Pedal