Page 1 of 2
So, thanks to one of these I had earlier, I decided I should start a thread where people share moments where they try a new piece of gear, and finally get that much closer to that tone they have in their head.

Today, I plugged in my Jackson DK2M I recently got back, which now has a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge. Wow! I'm not sure why the hell I waited so long to try that pickup out, but it's what I've been after forever. What a steal for such an upgrade it did for my tone I might just have to buy another one and yank out that 500T in my Explorer once again, when funds permit me to do so, lol.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
My parents didn't buy a decent amp together with my first guitar. I had to play through a Marshall mini-amp for most of my first year playing guitar. When I managed to buy my Vox, it was just an awesome feeling to play something and not sound like a dying rat.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
iSP Decimator.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Much as I'd like to say my Mesa Mark V... my vote actually goes for...

Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret into a Fulltone OCD.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
When the speakers in the cab finally broke in.
Jackson DXMG
Charvel
B-52 AT100
Marshall 1960A
Pedals and stuff
i have (2) moments
1)when i got my ibanez RG, it just fit like a glove, im not particularly fond of ibanez but this one just felt right.
2) when i made the change form daddario strings to ernie ball. daddarios gave the guitar their own tone. erinie balls gave it the chunk and cleans i really needed
Oh, also when I tried the first guitar in a store I actually liked after every Gibson, Ibanez and Fender on the wall (it was a Jackson DKMG.. don't ask why?) It gave me some reasoning as to why someone would bother spending money on a new guitar instead of a new amp/fx haha.

Also trying an Orange Thunderverb and Peavey 6505 on the same day as the first tube amps I'd ever played.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Last edited by Faux~Affliction at Nov 25, 2009,
tonight when i finally got to try out my ibanez with dimarzio d sonic through my 5150. oh goodness...
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I used to play on a cheap strat copy, 3/4 size, 2 singel coils allways on and the tone knob at zero because when at 10 there would be alooot of hiss. This was three years ago. I then upgraded to les paul special which sounded tons better, .I couldn't believe it lol.

Another one of those moments is when I went from an electar tube 30 to a peavey xxx super 40, I just bought it without trying it because I got my sister to get it locally and ship it down to me. Plugged it in, and wow what an ultra channel.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
A PRS Custom 24 through a VHT Pittbull and a Mills Acoustics cab.

God, if I only had the money...
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
When I got an amp. I started with a practice amp, sucked, had an amp Digitech RP-1, sucked through the amp and headphones. Got a copy of Guitar Rig from a friend that broke his controller and didn't use it anymore. Was a lot more fun, but still felt something was missing. Then I got a Vox AD30VT-XL. I know its still a modeling amp but wow what a different over a pedal board or software.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Winged C 6l6GCs.
I had no idea a retube would make so much difference.
Gibson Les paul into a Budda SD 18II with a Old V30
Last edited by mmjohn at Nov 25, 2009,
Splawn Superstock with a volume pedal in the loop = my eardrums live to fight another day.

Any Marshall with the volume over 5.
when i got tired of my pissy little hot rod deluxe, and decide to get my old bassman out that i hadnt played in years. that thing breathes fire man. holy cow.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
When I bought my DD-7 a few days ago. When I played it I had lots of ideas in my head when I used the Hold function. Great for practices riffs and solos and stuff.
Guitars:

Squier Standard Telecaster
Takamine EG-240

Guitar Effects:

Korg AX5G Muti-Effects Pedal
Boss DS-2
Boss DD-7

Read and follow my tumblog

Follow me on twitter
Quote by chea_man
when i got tired of my pissy little hot rod deluxe, and decide to get my old bassman out that i hadnt played in years. that thing breathes fire man. holy cow.

If you've got a Bassman, why would you play the Deluxe?
Sitting in store and trying out a Peavey Delta Blues and an Orange Rocker 30. My god I've never sounded so good

Also, buying an EQ pedal, so damned useful.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Buying a Diezel
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Rock Pig
If you've got a Bassman, why would you play the Deluxe?

it was in pieces and is a SF bassman so i wasnt really sure what it sounded like. (before that i had only played it when i first started, so i didnt know what sounded good.)
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
A few weeks ago when I used my Octave Fuzz into the drive channel of my amp; it just sounds amazing.

And when I first played a telecaster. They are just so right, and I should be getting one soon!
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
When I stopped using Ernie Ball strings. Pieces of **** those things are. If you haven't ever tried DRs or Elixers then you're missing out. Only things I use nowadays, Elixer coated strings on my Gibson have lasted 3 months and 4 gigs, and I have some DR strings that I find give my strat a heavenly clean tone, they sound warm and smooth and balance out a little of the treble strat guitars have.

Also when I noticed my mid EQ knob was inverted, IE, 10 is 0 mids and vice versa. That really helped XD
Getting the stock speaker out of my Valveking.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
Quote by chea_man
it was in pieces and is a SF bassman so i wasnt really sure what it sounded like. (before that i had only played it when i first started, so i didnt know what sounded good.)

Fair enough then.
Not a bad thing to have knocking around!
Boss OS-2. I couldn't get the "hardcore" sound I wanted on my crappy amp or with this, then it finally hit me. Large amplification of a small signal.. I turned the amp way up and the pedal way down, amplifying and very small signal=distortion baby!
Last edited by Desertman123 at Apr 6, 2010,
Dr. Z MAZ 38. no reverb.

God.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Rock Pig
Fair enough then.
Not a bad thing to have knocking around!

yeah definetaly, this thing is a tone monster. shes got some problems that im trying to work out, and then ill do a couple little modifications. but this thing is great. currently it doesnt even have a head cabinet anymore, its just a chassis. there is one recording of it in my profile, the song "light a fire"
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I recently did something similar, TS, with my Epi Les Paul. I've been playing a lot of clean recently, and have only just discovered that the 'middle' pickup (i.e. both at the same time) setting really suits the sound I was looking for.

I've had the guitar nearly 5 years...
The first time I played a decent tube amp (I think it was a Fender DeVille) instead of my crappy SS Crate amp. I remember having the thought "Oh, so THAT'S what it's suppossed to sound like." I unfortunatley have not been able to afford any amps at all since that time 2 years ago, just getting my first tube amp for Channukah (Bugera V5).
...what happends if i tune my guitar... EUREKAAAAA that sounds alot better
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Played 2x JMP's from different years, and got to crank both.

Jcm 900slx into mesa 4x12 flat cab.

Turbo Rat.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by cliff_em_all
Played 2x JMP's from different years, and got to crank both.

Jcm 900slx into mesa 4x12 flat cab.

Turbo Rat.

Yes. Played one a month ago. Amazing amps.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Page 1 of 2