our band is having such a hard time finding a good singer

to those of you who started out instrumental and eventually found the right guy, how did you do it? just random luck?
Most singers either suck or can't sing guitar based music worth crap. To sing any type of rock, Metal, etc. (basically any guitar based song that isn't acoustic or clean), you have to really be dynamic enough to roll with what the natural patterns of the voice considers odd. It's about training. The best way to find a singer is auditions though.
You should sing.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I took up singing duties. Although not as technically perfect as some other guys out there, I do service the vision of my own music better.

And you get more girls.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by chris4355
im the drummer, and my voice is very mellow.

so that would probably make you guys different to every other group with a guitarist/singer (such as mine). Really, if it's taking forever to find the vocalist you wish to look for, i recommend getting one of your band-mates (you included) to simply write lyrics, and attempt to get a melody for your songs. This way, you'll either:

- Find out someone in your band can sing
- Have melodies & Lyrics written for your songs once you find your singer
- Develop some experience and possibly the ability to have a backing singer*/s*.

It's all about making things happen for yourself. Also, if demos are recorded, then that may attract more auditions as people will be able to find out if you guys can actually even play together.
I recently saw a cover band where the singer was the drummer. He did a version of Unchained Melody! Wow!
Soundcloud
I'm having the same problem with getting a singer. I think that it can happen with any band member depending where you live and how well you advertise. It's a case of just not giving up and, as most others have posted, trying out other members of the band. Even if a band member can just sing competently, at least you can get some vocal melodies arranged that give a future singer something to work with immediately.
the problem is most singers (i said MOST not all, just biased on personal experience!) are total douches, this means, the chances of getting a skilled dude with a bearable voice, motivation, integrity and dependability are exponentially small...

how you find them... steal them from other bands by being significantly better at making noise, as backstabbing as it sounds, this is really the only real chance of getting experienced singers
i love it when you hate the world ~ Zuko
I find getting a singer is actually pretty easy because essentially everyone can sing. It's not like looking for a drummer where it's genuinely very tough because few people drum and EVERYONE on joinmyband style sites are looking for them. I'm lucky my friend accepted my apologies for being a douche in the last band and is joining my new one.

For singers, just get one of the guitarists or the bassist to do it until you stumble upon a good one.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Singers, in my experience have always been the hardest to find. (followed by bass players) I tried for years and years to find singers that really made me feel good about my projects without success. It was awful. Arrogance, unreliability, excessive shyness and general inability as all very, very common among singers.

My solution, as above, was also to throw my hands up in exasperation and learn to do it myself. As soon as I did, my bands worked out WAY better.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
found our singer by dumb luck
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Quote by axemanchris
Singers, in my experience have always been the hardest to find. (followed by bass players) I tried for years and years to find singers that really made me feel good about my projects without success. It was awful. Arrogance, unreliability, excessive shyness and general inability as all very, very common among singers.

My solution, as above, was also to throw my hands up in exasperation and learn to do it myself. As soon as I did, my bands worked out WAY better.

CT

No way, bassist over drummer?

You must be crazy.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by axemanchris
Singers, in my experience have always been the hardest to find. (followed by bass players)

Quote by isabiggles
No way, bassist over drummer?

You must be crazy.

Yes and I was replying in a way that showed that I thought that it was odd that he found bassists harder to find than drummers because it's usually the other way.

I'm not saying that he is definetly wrong for having the other experience.

Jesus, you've got to spell out everything around these parts.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
Quote by isabiggles
Yes and I was replying in a way that showed that I thought that it was odd that he found bassists harder to find than drummers because it's usually the other way.

I'm not saying that he is definetly wrong for having the other experience.

Jesus, you've got to spell out everything around these parts.

No it's not you, d1sturbed didn't explain his answer so it's impossible to tell what he means.

I actually thought that guitarists would be the most egotistical after singers - as that's my experience.
Soundcloud
I'm a little slow on sarcasm, sorry.

It really depends on where you live. Like there's about five guitarists for every singer where I'm from.
Quote by AlanHB
No it's not you, d1sturbed didn't explain his answer so it's impossible to tell what he means.

I actually thought that guitarists would be the most egotistical after singers - as that's my experience.

It really depends from person to person I guess. Though certain stereotypes have elements of truth in them (drummers are generally pretty relaxed, bassists are fat, your triangle player is gay etc.) the singer for my last band is one of my very good friends and is incredibly humble. You could take a few examples from big bands for example, Lars Ulrich.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
I always thought drummers were the most egotistical... every band i've joined as a drummer ive been told their last drummer had a huge ego...

but ya i would assume singers are the worst when it comes to egos, considering they get all the attention.