So I have a fender FM212R.. it's been perfect for a couple years.. i use a boss gt-8 through it and it had been working perfectly, but a few months ago it started sounding shitty.. i was lazy so i didn't look into it.. Now it's just pissing me off.. whenever i put on a distortion patch and play a power chord, and i mute it, it emits this high pitched squeal and has aloooot of high pitched feedback.. everything sounds trebley and just awful.. since my amp was so good i started doubting my guitar and it's pickups.. i believe it is an ibanez prestige rg2550.. but that is irrelevant, as i have tried to play other guitars as well.. same problem.. so i thought hmm, bad cable or something.. so i took the entire rig and put it through my bandmate's peavey bandit (supposedly a garbage amp) and BAM! such an epic tone i couldn't believe it..

So i plug in my guitar straight (no effects at all) and clean sounded like heaven, as it is supposed to in a fender fm212.. i switched to moderate distortion (ch select) and it sounds fine.. i play a chord and mute, no (unecessary) feedback or squeal.. then i switch it to "more drive" and there it is again!
My reverb was busted (one spring was broken) so i thought that might be it.. i turned it all the way to 0.. no change.. i unplugged the damn reverb, still no change!!

I'm going to take it into the repair shop but before i do, i wanted to get some expert opinions as to what the problem might be.. and how much it will end up costing me!
is it just a bad speaker connection ? busted tweeter ? what could it be ?
Is it every powerchord? or just certain ones (trying to figure if theres a frequency vibration somewhere along the signal path)?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
I don't think the FM212 has a tweeter. Most guitar amps don't.

Could possibly be a bad speaker connection, but you would've blown your amp's output transformer had that been the case.

I'd use this as an opportunity to get a better amp. The Frontman series isn't that great.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i was going to say maybe instead of your rig all of a sudden sounding like shit, mybe your ears just started working better...

...peavey bandit...

...epic tone...

...I give up.

btw, sounds like run of the mill high gain induced feedback.
Last edited by GrisKy at Nov 25, 2009,
no it's everything i play.. rythm, lead..

well, they are good amps and i bought it specifically because of it's amazing clean tone.. and since i always use effects pedals, it worked perfectly.. i am going to buy a peavey valveking 100 head and a cab soon, cuz i need something bigger and better for shows.. but i still want a good practice amp..

and haha i meant that it sounded like it was supposed to through the bandit (i was still using the boss) there was no feedback, no nothing..

and why is there feedback at the more drive setting and not on the other two channels on the amp ? and if it really is just high gain induced feedback, then why now ? nothing has changed.. it's not that complicated of an amp.. i just run the boss through the clean channel which has a basic eq.. low mid and high.. and even those settings are the same.. i did try and mess around with them but there's still feedback..
lower your gain. either from the amp or your mfx.

the frontman is ss, correct? so all those things you've maybe heard about preamp tubes going microphonic don't apply here, so SOMETHING is different. double check your mfx settings.
I agree with Raijouta, use this as an excuse to get a new amp.

Just don't get a Valveking, they're subpar.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by GrisKy
lower your gain. either from the amp or your mfx.

the frontman is ss, correct? so all those things you've maybe heard about preamp tubes going microphonic don't apply here, so SOMETHING is different. double check your mfx settings.

Both this and

Quote by TOMMYB22
I agree with Raijouta, use this as an excuse to get a new amp.

Just don't get a Valveking, they're subpar.

this.

Also have you moved closer to the amp? that could be it I guess..
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

i tried messing with the gain (amp doesn't have 'gain' just volume).. I tried lower gain on my boss and higher volume on amp.. same thing.. higher volume on the boss and lower on amp, same thing.. i tried standing in a variety of different places.. same problem..
i thought it might be electrical interference, but my drummer even moved! (not because of my problem haha) but same problem in his new place.. So logic tells me it's something physically wrong with the amp.. but someone said bad connection isn't plausible.. solder wore off at some place ?

and my bandmate just got a valveking 100 stack.. it sounds pretty good to me.. but it depends on preference too.. i have tried mesa boogie single and triple rectifiers and they sound like absolute garbage to me.. at low volumes it's just ghastly.. higher volumes it sounds better but it's too specific of a tone.. it can only work for death metal or modern rock..
i want a good reliable amp with an epic clean tone (so i can run fx through it) and good distortion if i choose to use it.. i know that's alot of amps out there but my price range is 800 tops..
Epic clean tone you say?
Get to a shop and try out a Peavey Delta Blues.

Also, have you tried just lowering the gain? On both amp and pedal?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

sweet.. will try it out..

and yea, tried that too.. but like i said, if it was a gain issue, why did it start now ? why not when i first used it..