He is about to be 3 in January and is obsessed with music, especially the guitar. He walks around the house all the time with a Ukulele and toy guitars. He loves to watch daddy play and loves concert videos. Is he too young to get started? He can already strum a guitar and play an open D chord (with a little help).

Thanks
As soon as he can hold a guitar you should teach him! Especially if he's showing an interest

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
I think he is still too young.. Wait till he's 5 or 6 that way his attention span will be more than 5 minutes..
He is totally interested. Goes with me every time I go to the music store nearby. he sits patiently waiting for daddy to give him a try, then he strums and smiles ear to ear. He will walk around and gaze at guitars and talks about music all the time.
My son is 4 going on 5 and I think he is about ready to start. I think it depends on his coordination too. If you think he can and will then why not? If my son was ready at 3 I would have let him.
if you feel he's ready then go ahead.I didnt start learning bass till i was 17 wish i had started earlier now im 18 and most people my age are pretty good at instruments now.

If you feel he's ready to do it and know he will stick thne do it.Also getting into a routine younger will make it stick in his head much more than later on as it will kinda become pre programmed in his head.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
If he's interested and you think he's ready (you know him better than we do lol) then why not? Just keep it fun and let him go at his own pace. If you push him you might put him off.
Begin to learn him the basics w/ him holding a guit but not playing, just so he can be able to hold it.
Then, let him play, etc

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
The sooner the better IMO, as long as the kid enjoys it.

I didn't start playing til I was 13-14 and I wish I could have statred playing at about 7-9
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Mostly everyone here have said all you need mate. Just for the lords sakes get him a guitar he can play (size-wise). If you think he will be able to understand everything you tell him right now about the playing and such, go for it.

Either that or wait untill hes 5-6 thats the age most people start playing =D
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
if he can hold it up and reach the 1st fret... start him up...

I started around 12yrs old with my mom's old half sized classical guitar... once i was able to get sustainable notes my parents bought me my first electric and the whirl wind began...
I wouldnt teach a 3 year old chords or scales, as helpful as those are, I dont even have much attentio span for those, If I were you Id just teach him how to play his favorite song and other songs he like, allow him to think of himself as the guitar hero, and save all the rest for when he's 6-9 when he's got a better attention span (but still willing to do what you say)
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

anytime...remember the earlier he starts the less interested hell be in other things like video games
Give him a lesson, see what stuff he likes in the lesson. It's always good to be hooked on guitar, not wreaked.
[img]http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/10/24/633604588429325324-annoyance.jpg[/img]

Billy Mays is definitely gonna give me nightmares now.

Quote by xxGUITARZER0xx
honestly no

but i just did the pallet town theme song cause someone wanted that

Quote by speakers
all of the above
it's not just being physical able to play guitar, but a three year old had normaly not too much concentration to learn effectively.

I learned to play violin at the age of 4, and although i got very good lessons, and musical talent, it was still hard to learn.

Every kid learns different and i think it's for the parents to decide if their kid is ready to devote time to learning an instrument, or wait
Quote by steven seagull
Howver, Spider have pretty lights to keep kids with ADD occupied.

My gear:
Epi ZW Buzzsaw LP
Ibanez S7320
Yerasov Detonator 100W
Laney VC15
Line6 Floor Pod+
Guthrie Govan started at 3, look at him.

As he's showing such an interest, I'd maybe say right now. Show him a few chords, maybe a few simple songs, just to make him happy with himself that he can do a little bit, then start to teach him "properly" maybe at about 5?
As younger people have less resiliant fingers the times he occasionally plays the small stuff you teach him between the ages of 3 and 5 will have toughened him a little bit more for when he hits 5.

Unless of course he requests of you "Teach me how to shred the A harmonic minor using 16th notes at 230bpm."
He likes guitar, so I say now. It's great that your not making him play because you want him to be a great player but because he likes it, I was worried this could be a case of pushy parents!

As the person above mentioned - Guthrie Govan started at 3 and it's fair to say he has raised the bar for a 'virtuoso' - the guy is a genius : )
U2, Cold Play, The Grateful Dead, Clapton, Hendrix..... He is actually mesmorized by Hendrix, almost like he is studying his style!

Quote by Zoot Allures
i'd say start teaching him proper when its abit older but still let him mess around on guitars and make sure he gets a small one like a half size classical for when he's starting to learn properly.

what music does he enjoy?
Quote by srob7001

I didn't start playing til I was 13-14 and I wish I could have statred playing at about 7-9

I started at 15 and I am damn glad that I didn't actually.

If I had started at 7-9, my phase of learning, usually the first 5-10 years of guitar, would be almost over and most of everything I can do would be muscle memory that I taught myself as a child.

Being the child that I was, I would have ****ed it all up due to my short attention span.
I'd wait until he's big enough for a mini electric - I think at three, he's still too small.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by ArnaudJ
Begin to learn him the basics w/ him holding a guit but not playing, just so he can be able to hold it.
Then, let him play, etc

Yup that boy needs to learn him right *mockery*

(You probably meant to say teach instead of learn, I'm just messing with you, don't take it seriously :P)
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
just wait until he's 5-6 years old that's when you start out the guitar teaching.

BTW i started when i was 12.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by iamthunderman
He is totally interested. Goes with me every time I go to the music store nearby. he sits patiently waiting for daddy to give him a try, then he strums and smiles ear to ear. He will walk around and gaze at guitars and talks about music all the time.

wouldn't hurt to start teaching him. i wouldn't get to serious with it and keep the lessons as simple as possible. he is still super young and is going to want to have fun more than anything right now. cant hurt to teach them young. can only benefit him down the road if he stays with it.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
I'd just let him learn as soon as he wants to. There's no such thing as too early if he's enjoying it.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
I don't think you can ever be too young, per se, but at very young ages concentration span is likely to be pretty poor. Also the physical strength and requirements of guitar can be pretty arduous for someone so small.

I'd say start him off on piano, it will be easy for him and he'll learn theory, and then when he's a bit older pick up the guitar.

I wish I did it that way round.