I recently started playing guitar again after about 10 years, and need a little help from those with more experience.

I'm looking to setup my guitar for detuned a doom/sludge/stoner metal sound. I've searched the forums and have a few ideas, but could use some advice for my particular setup and needs. Unfortunately, I'm on a tight budget, which makes things much more difficult.

I'm playing an Epiphone 1966 G-400 (SG,) which I'm quite happy with, but I would like to swap the pickups for a set with a vintage sound, only hotter. From what I've read, the Gibson Iommi pups fit this description, but at almost $200 they're just out of my price range. I've read that some of the GFS are quite nice, but there's enough negative reviews to make me weary. Is there any pickups that fit what I'm going for, but cheaper than the Iommi set?

Also, I'm looking for a good fuzz box for doom/stoner metal, with lots of low end. Right now all I've got is a 15 watt Ibanez practice amp, but I'm saving for a Peavey VTM-60. My buddy is giving me a TS-9 tube screamer, which should help my situation, as the overdrive on the amp blows. I've played on an Earthbound Supercollider, and I'm pretty much sold on it, but is there anything else in that price range that's better? What about the Metal Muff or Swolen Pickle? I'd like to buy from a boutique company like Earthbound, just because I believe in supporting small business, and like having a (more) unique tone. Basically, I just want a good fuzz that doesn't rob my lows. I hope some of you fuzz junkies out there that can point me in the right direction. Also, would it be a good idea to get a pedal like the MXR Distortion III too, or would that be overkill?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, they're greatly appreciated.
sounds like a set of Cold Sweats... maaaybe Nailbombs would be right up your alley, but unfortunately they're around $280 for a calibrated matched set.

I'll defer the fuzz suggstions to others... I dislike fuzz. the ts9 will help to tighten up your sound by giving your mids a decent push.
You could try a big muff for the fuzz. That's the only fuzz I've ever played on besides a boss FZ-5 (which sucked).
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
I'd look into the Golden Age "hot" pickups from stewmac.com. Really nice PAF style pickups, under $100 for a set. Have them in two of my guitars and they hold their own against the name brands.

Some form of the Big Muff would probably sound decent for you.
Last edited by Jason43 at Nov 25, 2009,
Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I've decided on pickups, but I'm still torn on the fuzz. I played a friend's Mastotron tonight and loved it, but I can't help but wonder if there's a heavier fuzz with more low end available. So far it's between this and the Supercollider, as the big muff kills too much bass.
Actually… for stoner and doom metal I'd recommend the BKP Warpigs with alnico III or V magnets.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
For fuzz, Id either suggest getting a Stomp Under Foot clone of one of the vintage Big Muffs (much better than the current NYC model, though thats not bad), or getting a Boss FZ-2(Electric Wizard uses the same pedal for their fuzz sound, so if thats your kind of thing, Id go for it).

Edit: Otherwise, a Musket Fuzz could work for you (like a Big Muff but with more control over the sound) could be cool for you. Or, if youre looking for something a bit more out there, brands like Devi Ever have some excellent fuzzes that can get pretty "out there" without the help of other effects
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Last edited by IsThereLoveInSp at Nov 30, 2009,
Can't really help on pickups, but it looks like others have done that for me :\

Technically the Big Muff isn't fuzz, but it'll do the job nicely. Also, look at pedals by Devi Ever, her pedals feature high-gain fuzz madness.
Quote by kenan6346
Can't really help on pickups, but it looks like others have done that for me :\

Technically the Big Muff isn't fuzz, but it'll do the job nicely. Also, look at pedals by Devi Ever, her pedals feature high-gain fuzz madness.

O_O

And no, devi ever may not be a good idea. My friend got one of those fuzzes and he said it DID rob his low end completely almost and he's playing a baritone guitar :\
No point really worrying about pickups or pedals until you've got the new amp - any tone problems will be the fault of that cruddy practice amp, not the guitar.

Once you know what you can and can't do with the new amp, that's when you'll be in a position to assess what may need changing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Agreed. Amp first then consider the Irongear pickups, probably Rolling Mill for a stronger PAF sound or Hot Slag for a bit harder range. Only £25 each and even with shipping would be under $100 all in.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Zoot Allures
O_O

It's a distortion/sustainer pedal.

And no, devi ever may not be a good idea. My friend got one of those fuzzes and he said it DID rob his low end completely almost and he's playing a baritone guitar :\

Any idea which one he got?

edit:
>it DID rob his low end completely almost and he's playing a baritone guitar
>his low end completely almost
>completely almost
>completely
>almost

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by kenan6346 at Nov 30, 2009,
look into the death by audio fuzz war. massive fuzz with plenty of low end and gives off that whole stoner vibe. pretty versatile for a fuzz with 2 knobs. that being said the customer service if something is wrong with it is horrid. mine was faulty when i got it and went through 3 months of emailing before i got a new one sent to me. 3 god damn months.
^The Fuzz War is a great shout. They're really huge sounding. Shame about their customer service in your experience, but I guess they're a very small company with 7 people working for them iirc, and Oz is a long way from Brooklyn ain't it.

The Big Muff is basically the Stoner pedal of choice. Sure it might not *technically* be a fuzz, but it gets the sounds so what's the big deal, as soon as one knowledgeable person says it somewhere, more people jump on the bandwagon. > . <

Devi might be a bit crazy for stoner rock really, but check out the demos to see if theres anything that floats your boat, fo sho.
I'm working on a new amp, but that's going to take some time. I'm looking into either a Peavey VTM-60, or Traynor YBA-1A into a 2x12 Avatar cab packing v30s. Unfortunately, I won't be able to afford this for a while, so I'm left piecing things together slowly.

I've tried the Devi Ever Wolf Computer, and it's just a bit too far out for my purposes.
Quote by kenan6346
It's a distortion/sustainer pedal.

Any idea which one he got?

edit:
>it DID rob his low end completely almost and he's playing a baritone guitar
>his low end completely almost
>completely almost
>completely
>almost

ಠ_ಠ

I'm leaving that in just for teh lulz now.

I'll try and find out which one he got too (:
Have a look at the Rock Monkey PIckups - either the gorilla fist or Neobuckers - http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/humbuckers.htm
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly